Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Striking with the Muzzle

I have done quit a bit of striking with firearms. It is not optimal, but often you get stuck with a gun in your hand when a war hammer would be preferred. I would highly suggest doing training for this and having some "best practices" in place ahead of time. I sort of winged it on mine and it would have been good to have some techniques in place. I started with N frame revolvers. They were not as easily damaged as smaller guns, and my duty gun "The Hebrew Hammer" obviously got that nickname from something other than shooting people with it. Today....I would not have been using a firearm as an impact weapon as much as I did as a 23 year old with a badge and an N frame in the 80's. I butt stroked and muzzle struck several with an 870 with great effect. The key...safety on, and release the forened to get it out of battery as well. The sad thing with two of the memorable butt stroking incidents were when I was in a "lethal cover" job and had to act because I had the wrong personnel with me handling the non-lethal component, thus requiring action I would rather not have taken. I got much smarter over the years about getting "non-capable" officers off of arrest teams and search teams based on seeing how non-capable officers that lack intestinal fortitude can degrade a situation with in-action.
    Muzzle strikes are often required when dealing with combative or non-compliant folks when armed with a long gun. This is something that should be discussed and I would even recommend policy and training at this point as officers are utilizing carbines regularly as a primary weapon.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Muzzle strikes are a technique I have used extensively.

There is much more to using it successfully, and legally than can be covered on an Internet forum. If you feel that you need this tool, seek out training from someone who knows what they are talking about on the subject.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    There is much more to using it successfully, and legally than can be covered on an Internet forum. If you feel that you need this tool, seek out training from someone who knows what they are talking about on the subject.
    Is there a particular name for this variety of training? I'm guessing Craig's class would cover these topics?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Striking with the Muzzle

John Wick likes pistol muzzle strikes, so they must be good.

http://youtu.be/VnPagmeLm-g
    Last edited by Gadfly; 12-02-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I started with N frame revolvers. They were not as easily damaged as smaller guns, and my duty gun "The Hebrew Hammer" obviously got that nickname from something other than shooting people with it.
    I'm regretting and cringing from just typing this reply., but there's got to be an interesting story there.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Is there a particular name for this variety of training? I'm guessing Craig's class would cover these topics?
    Unfortunately no and that's only because the coursework is dense enough as it is. I'd like to but that would make it three full days and most folks are pretty beat up and done after 2.5.

Is there really that much to muzzle strikes that requires specific coursework?

Seems like a pretty straight forward weapon of opportunity to me.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I'm regretting and cringing from just typing this reply., but there's got to be an interesting story there.
    OK I'm retarded, I didn't realize you may also just be Jewish, doesn't mean the pistol was used in uncomfortable striking situations

Like The Office, I must have had penis on the brains.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

When striking with pistols it's actually easy to break your gat, or disable it. I've seen several guns disabled, including revolvers and a 1911, over the years due to the gun meeting the suspect's head at speed.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    When striking with pistols it's actually easy to break your gat, or disable it. I've seen several guns disabled, including revolvers and a 1911, over the years due to the gun meeting the suspect's head at speed.
    How about a P229? What failures are common?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List