Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hinged vs chain handcuffs

If you put them on properly (behind the back - palms out - tight enough to resist much movement - key holes facing up) I think you can mitigate most of the weaknesses inherent in the design. But if your mindset about cuffs is anything but them being a temporary form of restraint then your probably going to be a bit behind the curve if something unexpected happens.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    If you put them on properly (behind the back - palms out - tight enough to resist much movement - key holes facing up) I think you can mitigate most of the weaknesses inherent in the design. But if your mindset about cuffs is anything but them being a temporary form of restraint then your probably going to be a bit behind the curve if something unexpected happens.
    If you are talking about ASP, how do you accomplish key holes up?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you are talking about ASP, how do you accomplish key holes up?
    Ooooops - I never used them or have even handled them as I recall so they weren't on my radar .... sorry for that oversight.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 11-01-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

S&W chain, Peerless Hinged. Back in the day when I still cared, and had available real estate on my belt, and the department still wanted us to actually arrest people, I carried one of each type.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Will Hiatt standard sized hinged cuffs fit in a holder meant for Peerless hinged cuffs(801C)?

Hiatt hinged are about the size of chain cuffs and smaller than the peerless...but I would double check because mine are 80's vintage...;-)
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post

If anyone has a video of the ASP cuffs getting broken, please post it up. I have used S&W cuffs my entire career, but a bunch of the new kids bought the ASPs.
    I do not have a Video but I saw a set of new ASP cuffs pulled apart by Walker, LA. Chief of Police H. Grimes who is now employed by Louisiana State Police.

I carry both hinged and chain, one each on my belt and several more in the car. I prefer the hinged cuffs as they're superior in restraining a noncompliant subject. Once I have one side of the hinged cuffs on they're my bitch. My agency issues Quick Cuffs, the Hiatt version. I've always found those to be an overall pain in the ass when worn on the belt. I prefer the hinged cuffs since they're workable with any of the Quick Cuff techniques.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

In my experience counting on the hinged cuffs to gain compliance is iffy at best. I also worry more than a bit about wrist/nerve damage due to getting all twisty on the wrist with the hinged cuffs.

I'd rather gain compliance, or force it, before the cuffs ever come out. If I am doing a "cooperative" standing cuff, and the bad guy jumps bad when the first cuff goes on, the system I teach works regardless of cuff style when the immediate reaction/take-down technique is then applied.

When things end up on the ground, or in weird positions, I find the chain cuffs easier to get on the bad guy. They are also a bit more forgiving for bad guys who are not assholes and just want to ride to jail and get it over with.

I carried both chain and hinged style cuffs on my belt, more than once I have needed two sets of cuffs, for a long time the slightly oversized lightweight Hyatts. The oversized S&Ws though ended up being my go-to cuffs. They fit really big guys better AND they go smaller than standard cuffs.

I wouldn't waste my time buying standard Peerless or S&W cuffs nowadays, particularly the Peerless cuffs. The ASP cuffs suck in a rather bad way, perhaps worse than their batons.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Hiatt no longer exist as a company. Hiatt used to be a company that made handcuffs in England. Hiatt-Thompson was the main US importer of Hiatt cuffs, and Hiatt or Hiatt-Thompson cuffs were the real English made deal. Safariland bought the Hiatt company and moved production to the US. Safariland made really crappy copies of Hiatt cuffs under the Safariland label. Safariland dropped the Safariland label and brought back the Hiatt name, but I don't know about the quality. Hiatt-Thompson became CTS-Thompson and they also make copies of Hiatt cuffs. I have a pair of the Tri-max leg irons and they seem fine, but they don't see much use and no one has tried to break them yet.

User Tag List