Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hinged vs chain handcuffs

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Break, no, but I've seen plenty of instances were they were flexed enough that the single strand missed the opening of the double strand when attempting to cuff a resisting subject.
    Seen that and also when the cheek plates get squeezed together and the ratchet gets stuck.

I prefer hinged, myself, but I have nothing like the experience of many other members here, so take my opinion very lightly. I have a set of S&W oversized hinged cuffs for "big folks" - but dang, they're heavy. They ride in my tact vest most of the time, with standard cuffs on my person.

I've seen ASP cuffs break.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Hers is one where the guy breaks them when theyre on in front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc
    I've done that same trick with Peerless cuffs. However, try doing it with your hands behind your back. I couldn't, I bet he can't, and I doubt most most other people can either.
    Last edited by jondoe297; 10-28-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Hers is one where the guy breaks them when theyre on in front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc
    LOL, I should have clicked on the link before I posted...my bad.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I prefer hinged. Once on the suspect, I can grab the hinge for additional control. The hinge limits mobility of the suspect once cuffed. I once had a suspect with chain cuffs on (my partner's at the time) who we were transporting to jail. He was able to grab a cigarette and a lighter out of his front shirt pocket, light up and smoke, all the while cuffed from the rear. Granted he was skinny and flexible, but...

I was issued a pair of S&W hinged cuffs. I bought a second pair of Peerless hinged cuffs that are a bit bigger than the S&W's. I carried both. Some people had wrists too big for the S&W's. Some teens and women had wrists too small for the Peerless. Some were too big for just one pair of cuffs and you needed to daisy chain a pair of cuffs.

When I was a patrol officer, I liked carrying two cuffs. That they were different sizes gave me some additional flexibility.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Additionally, hinged cuffs can be applied to both wrists simultaneously, something I never really could get down with chain cuffs, and many resists start with the first cuff going on. I'd hold their fingers while I did the pat down and they'd figure it was just a frisk, then snap the cuffs on before they realized they were being cuffed.
    To reinforce this point, this just came up on ODMP: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22640-po...daniel-webster

To reinforce this point, this just came up on ODMP: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22640-po...daniel-webster
    RIP Officer Webster
    VDMSR.com

That last post brings up Barrett Hill.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/15481-de...tt-travis-hill

Barry Hill had just got out of jail duty, and was starting in patrol. He was starting his FTO phase. He chased a guy on foot, while FTO chased a second suspect. Car theft. He radioed that he had one in custody. His partner then heard 6-7 gunshots. Partner found Barry shot in the vest several times. Once in the neck, once in the face. Turd was caught with one cuff on his wrist.

Investigation revealed Barry caught the guy and ordered him to kneel down, cross ankles, hands on head. Turd complied. He radioed "one in custody". He holstered, and went to cuff. One cuff on, the bad guys other hand shot down and drew a pistol. Turd stated he did not aim, he just started shooting over his shoulder. Barry went down. Wounded but alive. Vest stopped most rounds, and the neck wound was serious but possibly survivable. Turd stood over him and executed him.

Cuffing is dangerous.

Barry was a good man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    That last post brings up Barrett Hill.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/15481-de...tt-travis-hill

Barry Hill had just got out of jail duty, and was starting in patrol. He was starting his FTO phase. He chased a guy on foot, while FTO chased a second suspect. Car theft. He radioed that he had one in custody. His partner then heard 6-7 gunshots. Partner found Barry shot in the vest several times. Once in the neck, once in the face. Turd was caught with one cuff on his wrist.

Investigation revealed Barry caught the guy and ordered him to kneel down, cross ankles, hands on head. Turd complied. He radioed "one in custody". He holstered, and went to cuff. One cuff on, the bad guys other hand shot down and drew a pistol. Turd stated he did not aim, he just started shooting over his shoulder. Barry went down. Wounded but alive. Vest stopped most rounds, and the neck wound was serious but possibly survivable. Turd stood over him and executed him.

Cuffing is dangerous.

Barry was a good man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This specific case, and another very similar, are why I never, ever teach the hands on the head cuffing bullshit.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List