Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hinged vs chain handcuffs

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I also recommend at least one pair of the Smith and Wesson oversize cuffs. They go about 20% larger, and just as importantly they go about 20% smaller for wiry little meth heads or females....
    I went to carrying 2 pairs of those in 2010. I've been very happy with them.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I carried one oversized chain and one hinged--loved the hinged!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Put me in the chain only crowd.

Much easier to maneuver a cuff into position than to maneuver the wrist into position.

And having control of the person should be the first order of business regardless of cuff type. Control, cuff then search. Cuffs stay in the pouch until control is established on the subject.

If anyone has a video of the ASP cuffs getting broken, please post it up. I have used S&W cuffs my entire career, but a bunch of the new kids bought the ASPs.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post

Much easier to maneuver a cuff into position than to maneuver the wrist into position.

And having control of the person should be the first order of business regardless of cuff type. Control, cuff then search. Cuffs stay in the pouch until control is established on the subject.

If anyone has a video of the ASP cuffs getting broken, please post it up. I have used S&W cuffs my entire career, but a bunch of the new kids bought the ASPs.
    Agreed, I am also interested.

I have only been on the job about a year and a half now. I went through an inner city satellite academy where the entire department issues/trains with ASP hinged cuffs. I was using my issued Peerless hinged and chains while in the academy. They constantly pinched/grabbed at my hands. I have very large hands.

Once I got on the road and off FTO I switched to carrying a pair of ASP steel hinged cuffs and Peerless chains as a backup. Now I am carrying the ASP steel hinged cuffs as primary and a pair of ASP aluminum hinged as backups. I find the hinged works better for me in most arrest and control scenarios, but I was also trained on hinged cuffs in a very methodical way of applying them.

The only situation I have found where I like chain cuffs better is cuffing an arrestee to a stretcher/hospital bed.

Very interested in the Hiatts now after reading reviews here.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 10-28-2015 at 12:18 AM.

I've always carried Peerless. When I was working a beat I carried one hinge and one chain. I used the hinge cuffs as my primaries. Small females and second suspects got chain. I don't handcuff many people these days. I carry Peerless hinged now.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 10-28-2015 at 01:23 AM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Hers is one where the guy breaks them when theyre on in front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc

We aren't allowed to have hinged per policy, having said that I carry both a hinged set and a standard chain cuff made by safariland / hiatt, hinged in my bag and chain in my rig.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Hinged are easier to speed cuff and besides, they always complain that the hinged cuffs "hurt."

Both. I carry chains in the field and transport in hinged cuffs. I can get chains on faster, but hinges are harder to break or jump. Personally I'd rather deal with a prisoner in a broken pair of cuffs than a prisoner with an unbreakable garrote. Also if a prisoner manages to break a cheek plate it's much harder to use the free ratchet on a pair of hinged cuffs as a stabbing weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Hers is one where the guy breaks them when theyre on in front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc
    If a police officer lets his prisoner move around that much, at least he won't get choked to death with the chain. That method can be used to break any brand of chain cuffs. S&W chains are really easy to break that way because of the large chain swivels and the ledge between the lock and cheek plates. Realistically I think cuffs getting broken on seatbelt buckles is a bigger concern.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Break, no, but I've seen plenty of instances were they were flexed enough that the single strand missed the opening of the double strand when attempting to cuff a resisting subject. Take a pair of Hiatts and push sideways on the strand as you close them. Do the same with the ASP cuffs. Toss ASP cuffs on eBay.

Plus, ASP has keyholes on both sides which is a safety issue.

User Tag List