Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hinged vs chain handcuffs

Speaking of bad welds on chains. One of the easier way to break chain cuffs is to bind the chains and then use them as a pivot point to break the chain or swivels. Bad welds on chain make binding the chains a lot easier.

Here's a pair of black S&W 100's with a bad weld on the left chain link, and TCH handcuffs with really bad welds on both links.

Here's the TCH cuffs with the chain bound. The bad weld makes this really easy because the cheek plates on the cuffs are biting into the bad weld.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Speaking of bad welds on chains. One of the easier way to break chain cuffs is to bind the chains and then use them as a pivot point to break the chain or swivels. Bad welds on chain make binding the chains a lot easier.
    I was just reading this: https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/the...y-of-handcuffs

Besides the hilarious things that used to pass as handcuffs, it also talks about shimming and lock picking the current industry standard cuffs.

My question is, how do you spot the insecure cuffs? The images you showed demonstrate how obvious it is when a weld is bad, but what about the locking parts of handcuffs?

Which ones are going to prevent shimming and picking? I know that they have the double locking kind, but that also seems really easy to defeat.

It seems like a more pressing concern because they sell universal handcuff keys and handcuff shims. I am not sure how many people could even brute force a pair of poorly welded cuffs into breaking.

Site Supporter
    As a jailer I saw many improperly cuffed persons resulting in some of these folks arriving with one cuff off. I saw several men who could strip ratchets to defeat cuffs. I saw one man who was so strong that he broke leg irons. The same guy could defeat the steel door on his solitary cell so maintenance had to pin the door. In the Texas prison system I knew of another inmate who could do the same. When he was released, a Squat team accompanied him to the bus station in Huntsville. He behaved. When he arrived at the bus station in Houston, he went nuts. The police killed him. I digress to make a point. You seldom know the prisoners' capabilities or intent. The old heads here made excellent points.

Site Supporter
    In my post above when referring to a swat team, I wrote Squat but was not able to edit. I'm pointing out the error in hopes that I won't be derided unduly.

I currently wear three pair of S&W Universals, one hinged and two chained. Biggest headache is finding cases that fit.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Banned
    My employer issued S&W handcuffs and we were only allowed to use what they issued.

I would be willing to bet that most of you spend more time at your respective academies just on handcuffing someone than I spent taking my ENTIRE armed guard course*.

I got ONE HOUR of training on the MECHANICS of how handcuffs work and absolutely NO instruction on when it would be permissible for me to handcuff anyone. (I decided then and there that God Himself literally would have to send an angel to TELL me to handcuff someone).

I said all that to say this, with the minimal training I received it seemed easier to me to get someone into handcuffs using the hinged set.

* The armed guard course consisted of 40 hours going over the NRA Basic Handgun Safety course. For what it was intended for it's an excellent course. It was just NEVER intended to teach people to carry a firearm as part of their duties

"Dick of the Yard"

Met Police's ABC handcuff guide telling cops to ask themselves FORTY-FOUR questions BEFORE restraining suspects is branded an 'embarrassment' for Cressida Dick
    The new policy features 44 questions officers should consider in future
    It was sparked after complaints black communities were being targeted
    Crime and victim campaigners have savaged the Met Police's new 44-question handcuff policy, calling it 'embarrassing' and treating trained police officers like children'.

The Centre for Crime Prevention said crooks would not give PCc the luxury of the time to mull over the near-50 considerations in the guidance.

And it suggested the document would raise yet more of its own questions - but this time about the leadership of under-fire Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick.

David Spencer, research director at the centre, said: 'Plenty of people are of the view that police priorities tend to be the wellbeing of criminals rather than the law abiding public and this will go some way to reinforce that perception.

'It is also quite simply treating trained police officers like children and is hugely patronising to the vast majority of police officers who are arresting potentially dangerous suspects every single day.

'Most arrests will not give police the luxury of considering 44 questions before apprehending a suspect. They are working on instinct and applying their training and this is where such questions should be, and are, drummed into them.

'It is difficult to imagine how Cressida Dick’s time as Commissioner could get much more embarrassing for the Met, but this policy is certainly doing its best.

'There are already serious question marks about whether Cressida Dick is the right person to be leading the Met and proclamations like this are only going to undermine her authority still further.'
    Full article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rrassment.html

Site Supporter
    The retirement job is with a security organization that issues two sets of S&W hinged cuffs to sworn officers. I give them credit for issuing two sets, but like some here, I prefer chain cuffs. I replaced the hinged cuffs with one set of S&W lever lock cuffs and one pair of Peerless chain cuffs.

I purchased hinged cuffs in the early eighties after reading Mas Ayoob's article on the in Police Product News. While I did use them on the street from time to time, I always went back to chain handcuffs. Chain cuffs tend to be easier to put on if a suspect is not in an academy-approved handcuffing position or if you and the whole shift are wrestling someone into cuffs.

Hinged cuffs are more secure, but one shouldn't be overly confident in any handcuffs as a restraint on an unmonitored subject. One also finds more people who cannot wear hinged cuffs without significant discomfort. While I disagree with the county executive and council's view that a suspect comfort and convenience should be our highest priority, I also don't want to cause additional discomfort for a dubious benefit.

The lever lock cuffs are an interesting concept which I haven't decided on. I carry them in a closed case. I doubt I'd carry them on a handcuff loop or even an open case where the lever might be engaged on a car seat, chair, or in some other fashion.

I use chain, but mostly out of long habit. Peerless oversized go a bit smaller than S&W oversized and I think Peerless may be a bit better made than current S&W, but that is just an impression. Oversized cuffs are a very useful tool, but I don't carry them at present. I have started carrying Peerless lightweight cuffs. They seem plenty strong and are indeed much lighter to carry, especially in non-uniform situations.

If I were buying cuffs today as a street cop, I would probably get Peerless 702C oversized, assuming I could get a suitable pouch for them

I know several agencies who now prohibit hinged. I would not be surprised to see more of that. In my experience, cuffs coming out or starting to go on is like a starter pistol to a lot of people going nuts. Faster and easier application on a less-than-cooperative person are desirable traits to me, and I think chained win there.

Hiatt cuffs are now owned and sold by Safariland. I am unaware of present quality.

Ultimately, handcuffs are a temporary restraint device with lots of limitations and risks and not to be fully trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I know several agencies who now prohibit hinged. I would not be surprised to see more of that.
    Also for consideration is whether a given agency's policy has not changed on barring certain kinds of cuffs, but forbids you by policy from using intermediate force adjuncts that are not issued or specifically authorized by your agency. Although we don't prohibit hinged cuffs, some of our policy changed recently in the last two years just because people were going out and buying those miniature ASP Agent series of batons which the agency doesn't want us using since they're worthless. However, the way it's written would mean that I'm in violation of the policy if I used hinged cuffs as an intermediate force adjunct (i.e. using it as a tool to crank on your wrists to gain compliance). While nothing prohibits our use of hinged cuffs as restraints (per the last time I checked, at least), I'm neither trained on, issued, or specifically authorized the use of hinged cuffs as an intermediate force adjunct.

Not saying it's black and white........but, "thar be dragons" applies.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List