Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st round of stats of citizen v criminal resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    . If more people carried on a daily basis, there would be a LOT more legitimate self defense shootings.
    Would there?

Or, more imnportantly, would those "self defense shootings" really matter or change the outcome?

The goal of any victim of a violent encounter is to survive, no? So if one has a violent encounter (such as an armed robbery, etc.) and loses nothing beyond their wallet, does the presence of an armed victim change the outcome relative to the stated goal? I grant you, it may get you one less robber (which would clearly be a good thing) but at what expense? Possibly an injured or dead victim, at the very least the victim's after-incident would be far more involved (i.e. dealing with legal questions, the press, possible arrest themselves, possible charges themselves vs. simply filing a report and going home).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I'm also interested in the particular case of the person who tried to access their gun and lost.
    Not much to it. Confronted by armed suspect, tried to access off body carry, shot and killed in the process. The 'tie' also involved reaching for off body carry under direct observation of an armed suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Primarily, what it says is that most victims of violent crime don't carry a gun. These cases only include shootings by non-criminals who actually had a weapon. If more people carried on a daily basis, there would be a LOT more legitimate self defense shootings.
    Not all had a weapon, two were unarmed resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not much to it.
    Thanks for that though. I'll add it as insubstantial evidence to my theory that off body carry sucks.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Thanks for that though. I'll add it as insubstantial evidence to my theory that off body carry sucks.
    "Off body carry sucks" - my official testimony on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My generic answer to "what gun should I carry" is the S&W Shield. Inexpensive, small enough that the casual carrier will actually carry it, large enough to have a good sight radius, enough capacity for random violence encounters, usable sights and trigger, etc. With a 10 round minimum, you'd cut some very good carry pistols out of contention.
    Yessir. My wife and I shot both a Shield and G43 on Monday. We did not like either. I was dropping the mag on the Shield (lefty) and gun felt squirmy. Wife like the Glock 'better' but also did not like how much it moved around in her hand (she is 5'2").

I was very surprised as both (or so I thought) were going to be great options for us. But shooting is not the same as Youtubing, lol.

She really liked my VP9 game gun, and asked if they made a compact version of that.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-28-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Fantastic work. I'll definitely be referencing this data in the future.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

The evidence thus far seems to indicate what I trainer I know is preaching. The single most important thing is getting your hits. Sub 1 second draws and fast reloads are great, but you'd be better off putting your practice time into making good accurate hits. I'm sure most here would agree with it, but so many people are worrying about going full Ricky Bobby and not making every shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    The evidence thus far seems to indicate what I trainer I know is preaching. The single most important thing is getting your hits. Sub 1 second draws and fast reloads are great, but you'd be better off putting your practice time into making good accurate hits. I'm sure most here would agree with it, but so many people are worrying about going full Ricky Bobby and not making every shot count.
    Hits>splits.
    C Class shooter.

J frame was mentioned earlier. It appears that of these shooting a J frame in the hand in a pocket would have solved most if not all incidents where a firearm was used. Just thinking a J frame would be quicker than a full size handgun in a tuckable holster or other deep concealment and considering capacity really hasn't come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Yessir. My wife and I shot both a Shield and G43 on Monday. We did not like either. I was dropping the mag on the Shield (lefty) and gun felt squirmy. Wife like the Glock 'better' but also did not like how much it moved around in her hand (she is 5'2").

I was very surprised as both (or so I thought) were going to be great options for us. But shooting is not the same as Youtubing, lol.

She really liked my VP9 game gun, and asked if they made a compact version of that.
    I've said it before the XDs is a great single stack. So is the PPS. Both have come down considerably in price this year too.

That being said, I no longer own a single stack.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List