Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st round of stats of citizen v criminal resistance.

Thanks for all of the effort BBL. Lots of good info here.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    "Off body carry sucks" - my official testimony on the matter.
    Yep.

Thirty years ago, in another life, I owned a beer drive thru and gas station. I kept a 1911 under the counter. It did me no good one day when I was approached by two teens as I was 10 feet away from the counter. One of which thrusted a 380 pistol against the side of my neck. It got even more interesting before the incident was over. But I learned that off-body definitely sucks!

BehindBlueI's,

Have you done a study of the number of suspects involved per incident?

I'm southwest of you in the land where pigs actually fly (they even named a marathon on the topic). I had one of our crime analysts run a report for me a couple of years ago, during a 90 day period which covered that year's robbery season (AKA: Christmas shopping season). I was looking for the average number of suspects per offense. My District at that time covered seven communities. The average number of suspects was three. If one was armed, then usually they all were armed.

As for a J-Frame revolver, I still keep one around. I do not use it for a primary gun. But during a cold winter day, my primary gun may be buried under layers of cloths and a coat. A J-Frame in the hand warmer pocket of the coat can buy me some time to get to cover and draw my primary pistol. Or it may solve the issue without needed to unzip the coat and get cold. As much as I like the newer small class of 9mm like the Shield and the Glock 43, neither works as well in the hand warmer pocket of my winter coat as well as my S&W 642. Which is why my 642 isn't going anywhere soon.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-29-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    . As much as I like the newer small class of 9mm like the Shield and the Glock 43, neither works as well in the hand warmer pocket of my winter coat as well as my S&W 642.
    Or any coat; or the off-side pants pocket; or...

Funny how those who actually carry guns for a living have figured that out.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    BehindBlueI's,

Have you done a study of the number of suspects involved per incident?

I'm southwest of you in the land where pigs actually fly (they even named a marathon on the topic). I had one of our crime analysts run a report for me a couple of years ago, during a 90 day period which covered that year's robbery season (AKA: Christmas shopping season). I was looking for the average number of suspects per offense. My District at that time covered seven communities. The average number of suspects was three. If one was armed, then usually they all were armed.

As for a J-Frame revolver, I still keep one around. I do not use it for a primary gun. But during a cold winter day, my primary gun may be buried under layers of cloths and a coat. A J-Frame in the hand warmer pocket of the coat can buy me some time to get to cover and draw my primary pistol. Or it may solve the issue without needed to unzip the coat and get cold. As much as I like the newer small class of 9mm like the Shield and the Glock 43, neither works as well in the hand warmer pocket of my winter coat as well as my S&W 642. Which is why my 642 isn't going anywhere soon.
    Yeah, it's in the first post.

Number of suspects

1 suspect x 10
    2 suspect x 5
    3 suspect x 4

An interesting number would be how many times multiple assailants were "stopped" by only one of them being shot or shot at.
    Basically how often is there a "one shot stop" so to speak on multiple assailants?

From watching surveillance videos I've never seen "Ray Ray" and "Red" hang around long after "Pookie" gets shot (or even shot at).
    The most I've seen from the robbery crew after incoming rounds start is the occasional "shot over the shoulder" while they're running away.
    Factoring out "cartel rip off crews" of course, just looking at the typical 3 on 1 "surround and frisk armed robbery" of a citizen incidents.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-29-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    The November Rangemaster newsletter has been posted at http://www.rangemaster.com/wp-conten...Newsletter.pdf Coincidentally, it has a large article about our incident stat's.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    An interesting number would be how many times multiple assailants were "stopped" by only one of them being shot or shot at.
    Basically how often is there a "one shot stop" so to speak on multiple assailants?

From watching surveillance videos I've never seen "Ray Ray" and "Red" hang around long after "Pookie" gets shot (or even shot at).
    The most I've seen from the robbery crew after incoming rounds start is the occasional "shot over the shoulder" while they're running away.
    Factoring out "cartel rip off crews" of course, just looking at the typical 3 on 1 "surround and frisk armed robbery" of a citizen incidents.
    One of the reasons I keep the J frame in the pocket is because I'm relatively certain that if I pull it and shoot the dude closest to me in the face that whoever else is involved isn't going to hang around to play OK corral with me.

It seems to me that it's fairly common for multi-man crews to include one dude with a gun while the others grab the stuff.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 10-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    3/15/2016

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

The knife incident was a "one cut stop" so to speak. 3 attackers, when the first one's intestines fell out the others figured they had an appointment elsewhere. As I get more incidents, I'll be more willing to break them down further. Right now I hesitate to subcategorize too much just because it will become such a tiny sample as to not have much validity. I don't recall if I said it here or on the other forum I posted this at, but right now I've got 2 unarmed resists, one successful and one unsuccessful. That's obviously 50%, but I think we'd all be in agreement 2 samples is much too early to draw any real conclusions. I've added a 3rd as I continued going backward in my case load and it was also successful, unarmed vs armed, so just one more incident increases it to 67%. Until I get 50+ or so, I won't be breaking it down any further than what's already posted.

Great stuff BBI, subbed.

User Tag List