Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Towards the end of the life of the Anaconda and the King Cobra as production guns (the Anaconda came back as a custom gun at some point) the quality on them was not very good. I owned an Anaconda and it spent more time at Colt being fixed than it did with me. Hopefully your heirloom there is significantly better than the guns I interacted with.
    More truth. My Anaconda soured me on Colts for the same reason. Not only did it have problems, their customer service was for shit at the time.

I don't want to pee in the OP's punchbowl though. I hope your dad got a good one, and that you either enjoy it or get something else you want for it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The timing is not good, and may never really be.
    The timing is never right to write, but you write well and you have some extremely interesting stories about a time that has not been well-reported on because of political correctness. Start with a short outline of what you'd like to say--that can be done in a few hours and then revised.

Seriously, if you don't make the historical record, who will?

Political correctness be damned. Write that sucker, it will sell. I'll take 2 copies.
    I have often thought about writing a book with a couple of other folks along the lines of a Peter Capstick book, but geared to hunting of predatory humans in the urban US. The timing is not good, and may never really be.

I am cash poor and gun rich, let me know.
    Last edited by SteveK; 10-27-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    The timing is never right to write, but you write well and you have some extremely interesting stories about a time that has not been well-reported on because of political correctness. Start with a short outline of what you'd like to say--that can be done in a few hours and then revised.

Seriously, if you don't make the historical record, who will?
    I'd definitely buy at least one copy

I'll wait for it to come out on Kindle or the HBO original limited series.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 10-27-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I'll wait for it to come out on Kindle or the HBO original limited series.
    Hopefully they can get Bill Goldberg to play me...
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have often thought about writing a book with a couple of other folks along the lines of a Peter Capstick book, but geared to hunting of predatory humans in the urban US. The timing is not good, and may never really be.
    Not only would I buy, I'd help fund the publishing.

I had a Lawman Mk V for a couple of years. It was an accurate, heavy duty pistol. Despite being pretty much the entry level duty pistol for Colt, it was beautifully finished, with a very nicely checkered topstrap as I recall. I eventually traded it for several reasons:

-Even after adjustment by my gunsmith, the bottom of the trigger lightly scraped the inside of the triggerguard; while of no real operational significance, it bugged me-Ruger's and S&W's trigger and triggerguard interface seemed far superior, and did not require a larger triggerguard;

-There was a white nylon piece that was an integral component of the cylinder release latch; while I personally never experienced any issues or breakage, or heard of any, it was a component that just didn't strike me as having long-term durability;

-Probably most seriously, the action components were only surface-hardened. Basically, my understanding is that alone pretty much restricts action jobs to spring replacements-and that's it. Unfortunately, the Colt trigger, as I recall, especially in DA, was heavy and stagey (single-action was pretty decent, though).

-While relatively minor, Colt, like S&W, used a screw to retain the cylinder assembly-which, unless a tightening agent was used (like a dab of clear ail polish or similar on the screw), the screw could be unscrewed by vibration, with potentially disastrous results...

At the end of the day (well, at the end of my days with it), I decided that while it was a magnificent revolver in many aspects, I really didn't have much use for it in my scheme of things; my understanding is that the new owner has placed it in his firearms museum, where it'll honorably repose and be appreciated.

Best, Jon

It takes a long time to write a book. I suspect that the idea of The Ferguson Effect will start to gain ground with the public sooner rather than later, so demand might be a lot higher than you think by the time you get it finished. The best part is that you don't have to do it alone. Just looking around here, I'd bet that the various LSP guys could contribute chapters, as could other folks like the NYPD guy mentioned in the Speed Six thread, and all of the other guys who get off work at 5:00 AM instead of 5:00 PM. Talking about how police work really happens in specialized units like narcotics, air ops, boat ops, interdiction, etc. might open some minds.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It takes a long time to write a book. I suspect that the idea of The Ferguson Effect will start to gain ground with the public sooner rather than later, so demand might be a lot higher than you think by the time you get it finished. The best part is that you don't have to do it alone. Just looking around here, I'd bet that the various LSP guys could contribute chapters, as could other folks like the NYPD guy mentioned in the Speed Six thread, and all of the other guys who get off work at 5:00 AM instead of 5:00 PM. Talking about how police work really happens in specialized units like narcotics, air ops, boat ops, interdiction, etc. might open some minds.

Okie John
    And I can provide some good contacts in the metropolitan Chicago area that could add to this. I'd buy this book in a heartbeat (as I suspect many would). While I am in no position to help with funding I would be happy to help on it in any way necessary, be it contacts, offering accounts, editing...you name it.

This needs to happen.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

User Tag List