Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun Caliber that has edge in Lethal Encounter

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The difference has been mentioned here a time or two, but the majority of the thread participants seem to be harping on what is needed for an active, aggressive law enforcer; not an armed citizen looking to mind his own business and protect his own.

Honestly, for the majority of private citizen CCW encounters, a 5 shot revolver or a single stack 9mm is probably sufficient. I often carry the aforementioned guns, but I still carry a Glock 19 as often as I can.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That's a commonly repeated myth.
    I think the most shots I've seen in a still alive person was 12, most through and through, and he seemed to agree that his pain receptors had NOT shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    According to this table - http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm - About seven inches between .357 Sig and .45. Much closer between 9mm and .357 Sig (about two inches).

Part of it is trajectory, but part of it is velocity too. At 100 yards a 125-grain Gold Dot from a .357 Magnum is still supersonic at 100 yards, the 9mm has been subsonic since about 50 yards. That's a difference in terms of terminal effectiveness on longer distance shots. .
    Federal tested their 9mm 147gr HST loads down to 800fps, and their .45acp 230gr HST loads down to 700fps. Both still retained acceptable expansion in bare gel at those velocities. Thus, both are capable of good expansion at 100yrds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Honestly, for the majority of private citizen CCW encounters, a 5 shot revolver or a single stack 9mm is probably sufficient. I often carry the aforementioned guns, but I still carry a Glock 19 as often as I can.
    Not to cause conflict BUT most home invasions are occurring with 2-5 or more people entering a home.
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

That's a commonly repeated myth.
    Thanks for educating me on that myth but never-the less that's what I was taught! Unless you hit a vital area you better hope the person bleeds out. The bigger the expansion of the jhp the more bleeding will occur!
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Not to cause conflict BUT most home invasions are occurring with 2-5 or more people entering a home.
    Most "home invasions" are daytime burglaries gone wrong. Basically "meeting engagements" where a burglar or burglars break in thinking no one is home when that is not the case.

As far as actual targeted home invasions, they usually relate to one of three things: You or those you live with are involved in drug dealing or other criminal activity; 2) you are bringing home large amounts of cash or other valuables for a business; or 3) retaliation due to professional or personal issues. If none of these describes you the odds on an intentional home invasion are low.

That said, Bullets are opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Until then, I think I'll muddle along with a lesser number of bigger bullets. {QUOTE}

Go ahead and count this stolen, and the for the same reasons mentioned above as well as my nephew being a emergencey room Dr. in San Bernardino Ca. and stating they could always tell by the damage done when it was caused by a 45 because it was more signifiant. Thats not to say anything is wrong with 9mm as also shoot and carry that as well just prefer 45 in a Dan Wesson CCO.

Rick
    Your nephew's a lucky guy. I'm sure he's getting a lot of experience. San Bern is a shithole.

Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Hi psalms144.1! Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression of needing just the power of a 357 magnum revolver! Guess I am from the old school & have to accept that sometimes home invasions are done by 2-5 people! Thus any revolver is going to leave you dead! In the Marines as an MP I had 2 shooting incidences with a 45 caliber Colt with full metal jacket. In each case 1 round stopped the target. I was taught in the Marines that after the second shot absorbed by your target that the brains pain recepters shut off-thus taking more rounds to stop an attacker with whatever ammo you are using. My question to you psalms144.1 is I am deciding between 45caliber & 9mm handgun--any opinions? People think that a shot to the head is their answer to stopping an attacker but fail to realize that in a shooting encounter the head is moving along with other factors.

thanks for your thoughts.
    Semper Fi!
    I like all the major duty/defense calibers. I think each brings something a little different to the table. And different people answer your question differently based on their experience. Scott Reitz wrote a piece a couple of years back where he said .45 is the best choice by far. And I have BTDT friends that say the same. I admit that I'm personally a big bullet guy, so all things being equal .45 is the choice. But all things aren't equal and there are balances that need to be considered by every individual that has a choice. Note that if you're issued the firearm, learn to love it because it's what you get. But for the rest of us it's a balance. Most has already been mentioned here and everywhere else; caliber versus capacity, resources or lack there of as in money for ammo and maintenance, can you shoot all of the calibers fairly equally, is concealment a consideration and on and on. People, well knowledgeable people like Doc, point to 9mm because of high capacity, ammo and maintenance costs, easiest to shoot for most, good easily concealable options etc. Those are all good points. Someone else said that penetration and bullet size are king or something close to that and I agree with that, but considering that a box of practice ammo for 9mm is approximately $10 versus the cost of .45 which is usually at least $15 or more, well that adds up after awhile, so less practice occurs. If you have unlimited resources, go for whatever works for you.

This is how I see it. I love revolvers, and I think the Jframe still has a place, but other than that outside of special circumstances I think they're collectables. That coming from someone who loves .44 magnum. 9mm offers the aforementioned benefits. .45 is obvious; big bullets and excellent penetration but at the cost of capacity and or a pistol of a reasonable size and or weight; .40 is what it has always been; the compromise. Relatively big bullets and relatively high capacity both in a 9mm sized pistol, but the cost is more frequent so more expensive maintenance than 9mm. .357 sig is a kick to shoot, but I don't see what it does that one of the others doesn't do.

My long winded point is that you have to balance those things for yourself. No one else can really do it for you because as you can see there's no real consensus on what's "right". And there isn't because it's different for everyone. Good luck with your choice.

I've found the good Dr's quote to be true in my experience;

“…there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9 mm and the .45 ACP cartridges.”
    Vincent J. M. Di Maio, GUNSHOT WOUNDS: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques SECOND EDITION, Page 150.
    That is NOT what he said at Quantico in 1993. When was that book published?

N/M, I looked it up; 1998.

Well, here we go. Your coroner said this, my ER docs said that. One expert says this, another expert says that. Another expert says this, and then changes his mind to that.

Like _I_ said… a never-ending argument with no possible resolution.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Well, here we go. Your coroner said this, my ER docs said that. One expert says this, another expert says that. Another expert says this, and then changes his mind to that.

I should probably mention that being an ER physician doesn't mean that you are an expert on traumatic injury. The majority of patients seen in the ED are not traumas, and the majority of traumas (in most areas) are not GSWs. Furthermore, the job of an ER physician is to stop bleeding, push packed RBCs/plasma, and prep them to get taken care of by a trauma surgeon. I wouldn't necessarily use them as an appeal to authority. People like Dr DeMaio/Dr Fackler/Dr Roberts who have dedicated a substantial amount of time and energy to specifically studying the effects of GSWs on human physiology will be much better informed than your average MD.

Big difference in 9mm bullet performance now vs when the Silvertip or the Hydra-Shok was state-of-the-art.

User Tag List