Thread: Shooting with both eyes open

Shooting with both eyes open

I have practiced shooting with the non- dominant eye closed for years. Recently,as I began an effort to increase my speed and accuracy, I read in numerous places that shooting with both eyes open is optimum. This makes sense to me, at least from a tactical standpoint. Thus I began incorporating both eyes open into my dry-fire drills....

Now to my problem... A hard focus on the front sight produces 1 target image and 1 ghost target image, which I expected and can deal with (I think). The real difficulty is that I am also seeing the image of the rear sight and ghost image of the rear sight, which is really giving me fits!

2 questions. #1) is it really possible to work through this to the point that my mind erases all those ghost images,allowing me to become more comfortable and capable shooting with eyes open vs. with one closed?

#2) any particular drills or techniques that are known to work well in this endeavor? I read that a pair of shooting glasses with a small piece of scotch tape in the center of the non-dominant-eye lense would allow peripheral vision and alleviate the ghost images. This seems to work, but I'm hesitant to adopt the technique before I confirm that such training doesn't have some unforeseen negative effects on my training.

Thanks in advance for any insight (no pun intended).

M

I've been working on this for weeks with some success.

I did use my Petzl AAA headlight to help illuminate the front sight for a week or so. That helped.

Mr. White posted a helpful link in my training journal, I'll go find that, be right back.

Edit: here it is:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....igamiak+vision
    Last edited by RJ; 10-24-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrik View Post

#1) is it really possible to work through this to the point that my mind erases all those ghost images,allowing me to become more comfortable and capable shooting with eyes open vs. with one closed?
    Yes, at least it was for me. It used to be really weird to keep both eyes open and I saw all kinds of different stuff. After a few weeks of daily dry fire practice with both eyes open it became easier and easier. Now both eyes open is natural and I never close one eye anymore.

Although I still haven't figured out how to use a hard front sight focus, I have more of a target focus sight picture. I feel no confidence in having my sights in the right place on my target when using the hard front sight focus.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Rich and Miller-

Wow! Elucidation in only 2 posts. Great link as well as confirmation that it actually can be done. I really appreciate it! Back to dry-fire tomorrow with renewed vigor ; )

-M

User Tag List