Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Nimrod?

Anyone have a Nimrod?

If so, what do you think about it?

Barrel band or octagon, I'm not picky;-)

I don't own one, but I've always viewed the barrel band as an unsightly appendage. Octagon barrels on SA revolvers are stone cold cool.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-24-2015 at 07:34 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have to say, the barrel band has always appealed to me, but the octagon does as well.

I don't own one, but it's on my bucket list.

The barrel band adds a bit of weight to the muzzle without making the entire barrel contour heavier, and it helps to anchor the ejector rod housing in place. I like it, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    I don't own one, but it's on my bucket list.

The barrel band adds a bit of weight to the muzzle without making the entire barrel contour heavier, and it helps to anchor the ejector rod housing in place. I like it, personally.
    Awesome. What caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Awesome. What caliber?
    A big part of me wants a .475 or .500 because I grew up reading Ross Seyfried's articles about them, but Ross himself later said that the five-shot .45 Colt is really the way to go.

I sort of had an itch for the Linebaughs back in the day.

A goober i knew bought two. 475 and 500 Linebaugh longs. Both were built on Ruger .357 Maximum frames as I recall. They were converted to Bisley grip frames.

The punchline is that after a full cylinder on one, and two shots on another, my trigger finger was bloody from hitting the inside front of the trigger guard, and my wrist was starting to throb. I had broken my wrist multiple times riding bucking horses in college, and these things were simply way too much of a good thing.

Fine to look at, but I will pass on shooting them.

More power to the guys who can shoot them precisely. I am too much of a wimp.

I'm quite sure the .475's and .500's are too much for me as well. Might be able to build up to them some day, but I don't see having an actual use for them, so that seems unlikely to me.

Currently, the .44 is my most powerful shooter, not counting the .500 S&W I have. It really isn't practical as a sidearm, so I don't use it.

A Nimrod, or similar type of gun from any one of a number of makers, like Clements or Forkin, is appealing to me in .45 Colt. Easy practice ammo in Cowboy loads, .44 magnum power at very low pressure, and more powerful stuff if need be.

So, no Nimrod's here. Anyone have anything similar from another smith? I know at least one member has a nice 5 Shot .45...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I sort of had an itch for the Linebaughs back in the day.

A goober i knew bought two. 475 and 500 Linebaugh longs. Both were built on Ruger .357 Maximum frames as I recall. They were converted to Bisley grip frames.

The punchline is that after a full cylinder on one, and two shots on another, my trigger finger was bloody from hitting the inside front of the trigger guard, and my wrist was starting to throb. I had broken my wrist multiple times riding bucking horses in college, and these things were simply way too much of a good thing.

Fine to look at, but I will pass on shooting them.

More power to the guys who can shoot them precisely. I am too much of a wimp.
    I tore the ligaments in my right thumb shooting one of the 500 Maximums 5 rounds. I was pretty used to shooting my 4" 29, so wasnt too soft handed. Couldnt even shoot a 22 right handed for a couple years. Took about 10 years to get back to close to normal.

The standard 500 wasnt too bad.

Ive shot some smoking loads in 5 shot 45's. I just own regular 6 shot Ruger SA's with stiff loads. The big stuff isnt as fun as it used to be. Im a wimp also.

ETA: I'm all for fine, custom grade guns. Much can be done on the basic Rugers or whatever and stay with less fire breathing rounds. A guy on another forum has a fair pile of customized Rugers. Color case hardened frames, great finishes, fancy grade custom grips and such. Im a big fan of the 45 Colt in SA guns.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-25-2015 at 01:00 PM.

You'll probably enjoy Hamilton Bowen's review of the new five-shot Ruger Bisleys.

He just launched that new online magazine, and one of his contributors is Ross Seyfried. I'm very, very excited to see where it goes.

User Tag List