Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 135: Front Sight 2 (USPSA Classifier CM 99-24)

Week 135: Front Sight 2 (USPSA Classifier CM 99-24)

Week 135: Front Sight 2 (USPSA Classifier CM 99-24)

Results may be posted until November 23rd, 2015.

Designed by: P.R. Metcalf - Modification by US Design Team
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: three USPSA Metric targets, spaced 7.5 feet apart, with three additional no-shoots (see official stage diagram for placement)
    Start Position: see below for details
    Rounds Fired: 12

This week we are going to shoot a USPSA Classifier as the DotW. See the official written stage briefing here: https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-24.pdf

For purposes of the DotW, we may have some imprecision in placing your gear in the most appropriate Division, determining Major or Minor scoring, and possibly in your setup (if you have fixed target stands/rails that don't let you put the targets exactly the right distance apart, for example.) We are just doing this for the DotW, and no official USPSA score will result, so it's not a big deal if there is a little variation from official USPSA rules.

---

First, let's figure out your Division:

If your gun has a frame-mounted optic or a compensator, you are shooting Open. If your gun does not have a frame-mounted optic or a compensator, then you are shooting one of the other Divisions.

If your holster is forward of your hip, as with AIWB, you are shooting Limited (or Open, if you are shooting a Carry Optics gun from a holster forward of the hip.) If your holster is not forward of your hip, then you are shooting either Single Stack, Production, Carry Optics, or Revolver. Limited-10 is the same as Limited because there is no reload on the clock in this classifier.

If you are shooting a single action only gun, you are shooting Single Stack.

If you are shooting a revolver, you are shooting Revolver.

If you are shooting a double action or striker fired gun with iron sights, you are shooting Production. If you are shooting Production, then you are scored Minor regardless of your actual caliber or load.

If you are shooting a Production gun out of a Production-legal holster, but the gun has a slide-mounted optic, you are shooting Carry Optics. If you are shooting Carry Optics, then you are scored Minor regardless of your actual caliber or load.

---

For our scoring purposes, if you are shooting 9mm/.38Spl, then you are scored Minor. If you are shooting .357/.40/.45, then you are scored Major (unless you are shooting Production or Carry Optics, then you are still scored Minor.) Minor scoring is A = 5 points, B/C = 3 points, D = 1 point. Major scoring is A = 5 points, B/C = 4 points, D = 2 points. Misses are -10 points for both Major and Minor. Hits to No-Shoots are -10 points for both Major and Minor.

---

Start position is standing, both arms hanging relaxed at sides or both wrists above respective shoulders - shooter's choice. Handgun is loaded and holstered.

String 1: Start facing uprange. Upon start signal, turn, engage all three targets with two rounds each.

String 2: Start facing downrange, hand position opposite of string one. Upon start signal, engage all three targets with two rounds each.

This Classifier is Virginia Count (no extra shots allowed.)

---

Scoring:

Add up your points.

Divide your total points by your total time (for both strings together.) That number is your hit factor.

Divide your hit factor by the 100% hit factor for your Division to get your percentage on this classifier.

In USPSA Open Division, 100% is a hit factor of 12.80.

In USPSA Limited, Limited-10, and Single Stack Divisions, 100% is a hit factor of 12.01.

In USPSA Production Division, 100% is a hit factor of 11.41.

In USPSA Revolver Division, 100% is a hit factor of 10.81.

In USPSA Carry Optics Division, 100% appears to be a hit factor of 12.38.

95-100% = Grand Master
    85-94.9% = Master
    75-84.9% = A Class
    60-74.9% = B Class
    40-59.9% = C Class
    Below 40% = D Class

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Division
    Total points
    Total time
    Hit factor (points divided by time)
    Percentage (your hit factor divided by the 100% hit factor for your Division)

An example:

You are shooting a G17 9mm handgun (no optic or compensator), carried in a strong side OWB holster. You are shooting Production Minor. You shoot the drill with a total time (both strings together) of 12 seconds. You shoot all As, for a total of 60 points. Your hit factor is 5.00 (60 points/12 seconds.) Your percentage is 43.82% (your 5.0 hit factor/the high Production hit factor of 11.41.) You shot C class.

You would report:

G17, strong side OWB
    Production
    60 points
    12 seconds
    5.0 hit factor
    43.82%

---

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ran this twice back to back. First live fire in a week. Had a quick dry fire session before starting.

M&P9 RMR06
    Gcode open OWB
    No cover

My gat qualifies for carry optics but last match I shot open because I didn't want ten round mags, but for the sake of wanting to make myself feel better today I shot carry optics

Run 1 started down range.

3.19 total - 1.83 - .18 - .44 - .17 - .40 - .17 AA AA AC

Run 1 uprange hands up start

3:38 total - 1.81 - .26 - .49 - .16 - .49 - .17. AC AB AC

52 total points 6.57 total time for a hit factor of 7.76 for a 63% I think?

run 2 down range start

2.84 total. 1.48. .17 - .46 - .15 - .42 - .16 AA AC AA

Run 2 uprange hands up start

2.90 total. 1.64 - .16 - .38 - .15 - .41 - .16 AB AA AC

54 total points with a total time of 5.74 with a hit factor of 9.41 for a 76%?

hope the math is right. I have a sheet of paper in front of me covered in numbers!

I felt really good with this drill. I only shot it twice. First run I was trying to go fast and safe and make A's. and second run was fast and try not to hit the white and try to hit A's!! I honestly don't know how I could get any faster, faster transitions maybe? I highly doubt I could get any faster splits. I'm sure I could shoot more accuracy oriented with the same speed and do better (duh! Lol)

I'm very proud of this for me. Felt good and smooth and usually first shots of the day are not good or smooth. Very happy with this.

Edit: just 2 more points and not even a second added a huge chunk to the second score, very
    Interesting... So for the gamers out there is this a speed more over accuracy? Or both? Or visa versa?
    Last edited by Luke; 10-23-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Wannabe, the biggest place you are losing time is the draw. I've run this a couple times in the last week or two in livefire. My total time is consistently around 4.5 for combined strings. We are shooting nearly identical splits, mine may be a fraction slower. My transitions are a bit faster, but my turn draw is 1.2, and downrange is an average of .90.

That's some sporty shooting.

Yea draw is pretty slow. I just don't know how to speed it up and have a good grip and make good hits. Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    speed it up and have a good grip and make good hits
    That's the real trick. Get the RIGHT grip as fast as you can move.

Agree with Talionis - really nice job. Both Front Sight and Front Sight 2 are really stiff classifiers in USPSA.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ran this again last night ... Ugh. It ain't pretty.

Still dropping too many points and running it too slow... Not feeling confident about moving the gun around yet.

52 pts (Dropping C's into the right-most target - aiming for the A/C line on the middle)
    5.36 s (2.65 and a 2.71, respectively)

52/5.36 = 9.70HF ~ 85% Ranking.

I'm shooting pretty much with a front sight focus... I can push the time far lower if I'm shooting with a looser sight picture, but then I run the risk of buffing a no-shoot on the middle.

Interesting take-away: I'm not currently able to shift focus. E.g. shoot outside targets with coarse focus, shoot middle target with more focus. The switching eats time...

Equipment used: G19 Gen 4, Raven Concealment Phantom IWB
    Division: Production
    Total points: 56
    Total time: 14.36
    Hit factor: 3.9
    Percentage: 34% D class

Equipment used: G19 Gen 4, Raven Concealment Phantom IWB
    Division: Production
    Total points: 60
    Total time: 12.7
    Hit factor: 4.7
    Percentage: 41% C class

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_White, how many times does the PF USPSA club allow shooters to reshoot the classifier?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Mr_White, how many times does the PF USPSA club allow shooters to reshoot the classifier?
    Depends... Is Candice there?

The Candice backlash hit CO. My buddy, who was only interested for theoretical reasons, was recently told by two CO clubs, no re-shoots of a classifier period. I told him that he should move to a more classifier friendly state.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List