Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a Marlin 336Y

Ordered a Marlin 336Y

So, I've always wanted a lever gun, and one of the distributors at work listed these at a price I couldn't resist. I got the youth because I tend to like shorter stocks and it was the easiest way to get a 16" barrel. My question: What would you folks recommend as additions? Is there anything it desperately needs? What would you recommend for a method of carrying extra rounds? Any sight upgrades that it needs? What should I be looking for?

My 336w runs completely bare aside from the sling. I have a stock cover that will hold extra rounds as needed but I rarely use it. I shoot it using only the stock sights, those serve well enough within 50 yards but for anything farther you'll want some kind of optic. I have a one piece weaver rail for the top of it but have not mounted it. The 336 is a light weight and quick handling rifle out of the box and I bought it just for that reason so I have left it as light as I can. The stock sights are not great and can be hard to see in low light but they are pie plate accurate to 100 yards. I'd add a recoil pad if you are planning to shoot more than 10-15 rounds through it, it's lighter than a 20" rifle so recoil is going to be "stiff". I have a cheap Burris red dot for the weaver rail if I decide to put an optic on it, it's light and suits the 336 well. It's a great close range deer rifle and would easily serve as a great defense rifle if I was pressed into using it for that purpose.

My rifle is a lower end parkerized rifle with a laminate stock. I didn't want anything with a deep blue finish or anything that might reflect so it's the cheapest model I could find. The red dot was about $80 off amazon on sale so I've got less than $400 in the rifle. As it is I'm very pleased with it as a truck rifle and it makes a great scouting rifle or back packing rifle, the Y model especially.

Most of my lever guns have "Ghost Ring" peep sights on them.
    Some came that way, others I added the sights to.
    One has a scope but I plan to take it off and put peep sights on instead.

I haven't done much else to my lever rifles.

Your Marlin probably won't need much.

I'll add a 'ditto' to those who recommended a set of ghost rings or peeps. I also replace the typical bead front sight with a post that allows better vertical reference. After it wears in, you might seek a trigger job and a dehorning of the metal around the loading and ejection ports.

I currently run Federal 30-30C through mine. It's a 125 grain JHP designed for varmints, coyotes, and small deer. As such it's probably the factory round least likely to overpenetrate in a home defense setting. I live in a state (WA) where the AR is perfectly legal to own with standard capacity magazines. I also live in a part of the state where its use would probably not raise eyebrows. But I see the writing on the wall here in the Evergreen State and I keep my Marlin 336 as a PC alternative to a semi-auto, magazine-fed rifle should our legislature tamper with the status quo.

Good luck with your Marlin!

Do you own any other Lever Guns? If so, how do they compare to the 336Y. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hope it meets your expectations. Newer Marlins have been pretty sketchy. They're under the same umbrella as Remington and their new stuff is pretty piss poor. If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of older Marlins out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Do you own any other Lever Guns? If so, how do they compare to the 336Y. Inquiring minds want to know.
    First one!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Hope it meets your expectations. Newer Marlins have been pretty sketchy. They're under the same umbrella as Remington and their new stuff is pretty piss poor. If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of older Marlins out there.
    As long as it shoots and cycles, I'll be happy! Might give it to a gunsmith buddy that's worked the actions over on a few Marlins if I like it enough

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    Your Marlin probably won't need much.

I'll add a 'ditto' to those who recommended a set of ghost rings or peeps. I also replace the typical bead front sight with a post that allows better vertical reference. After it wears in, you might seek a trigger job and a dehorning of the metal around the loading and ejection ports.

I currently run Federal 30-30C through mine. It's a 125 grain JHP designed for varmints, coyotes, and small deer. As such it's probably the factory round least likely to overpenetrate in a home defense setting. I live in a state (WA) where the AR is perfectly legal to own with standard capacity magazines. I also live in a part of the state where its use would probably not raise eyebrows. But I see the writing on the wall here in the Evergreen State and I keep my Marlin 336 as a PC alternative to a semi-auto, magazine-fed rifle should our legislature tamper with the status quo.

Good luck with your Marlin!
    I was looking at Federal Fusion for a general purpose load. Any experience or thoughts?

I don't have direct experience with the Fusion but I do frequent a couple of hunting forums where it is well-regarded.

I went with the lighter Fed #30-30C because I'm trying to limit over-penetration in a home defense setting. When my Marlin leaves the house, I load Winchester PowerPoint 170s; a choice based solely on accuracy, cost, and availability.

Assuming your rifle likes the Fusion you should be in good shape.

User Tag List