Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do to a used Mossberg 590?

Things to do to a used Mossberg 590?

I found an excellent deal on a Mossberg 590. It has some dings here and there (looks like it's been dropped), but I don't notice anything that seems to be a functional issue.

Right now it's configured as a pistol-grip only gun with a 20" barrel. It's got a bead sight and a heat shield. The pistol grip's going as soon as I can get Magpul furniture on the thing, and I'll probably take the heat shield off as well to save a bit of weight. Apart from the furniture, is there anything that should be done to the gun for reliability's sake? Replacing the mag spring/follower, for example? What about the trigger group and safety -- is there any compelling reason to go to metal for either?

Full stock, maybe the MagPul version, Vang magazine follower and a Wolff magazine spring, you should be GTG
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Great, thanks for the info. I'll get the follower and spring ordered.

Losing the heat shield is a good idea as well. They get in the way when you are trying to run the slide.
    www.agiletactical.com

Metal safety button
    Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
    High-vis follower
    Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw
    Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator
    Run a premium lubricant
    Check extractors for chips/wear, replace if needed (cheap)
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

The action parts -- especially the stamped bits -- can be a bit rough on 500s/590s. Deburring and cleaning up rough/sharp areas should smooth the action a bit.

Running a lot of rounds through it will eventually have the same effect, but I like starting off ahead.

For me, the stock safety button is too slippery to use with gloves. I like this one:
    http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod26966.aspx
    Last edited by peterb; 10-23-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Research.
    When installing the Surefire DSF (fore-end LED light) on my 500 I found these useful:

I did, indeed consult both of them, as I found the slight difference in wording helpful, especially during reassembly.

I like the Magpul buttstock. Pistol grip stocks negate the advantage of the safety button on the Mossberg design, which is essentially ambidextrous.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Congrats! The magpul furniture is incredible. Definitely the way to go. Like Chuck said, a follower and spring should be early on in everyone's upgrades. I personally like the S&J hardware follower- it's machined bright green delrin. Delrin is super slick so it feeds and loads like a dream. It's bright so it's easy to see, and the dimple they machine into it is really easy to feel the difference between that and a shell. But really, pretty much any aftermarket follower will be much better than the factory one. As for an upgraded safety, both Tom Givens and Steve Fisher indicated that plastic Mossberg safeties are usually a weak point. Not the entire mechanism, just the plastic button. I got the Vang Comp oversized safety earlier this summer and it's absolutely awesome.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

IMHO the Vang stainless steel followers beats the shit out of every plastic followers on the market, by far.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    IMHO the Vang stainless steel followers beats the shit out of every plastic followers on the market, by far.
    I've got a Vang as well and I have no complaints. I might pick up some bright green powdercoat for it... that would definitely put it over the top (as far as my preferences go)
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

User Tag List