Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Never underestimate the sleeping gnome.
    Since it only takes a moment until it becomes an "overfed long haired leaping gnome". And then you got trouble...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The crazy dangerous gnomes are the urban ones that grew up in shitty neighborhoods—they’re absolute remorseless machines, with a fierce, but highly regulated honor culture.

I’m talking about the infamous metrognomes.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    He was never much of a gauge fan.
    Maybe true. But he had his moments. (photo courtesy of @TCinVA, who now owns Pat's Ithaca. )

Name:  patsithaca-3.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  92.6 KB

Mine in it's current state:

Name:  IMG_20200809_121359599~2.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  25.9 KB

Next mod will be sling swivels; checking with local 'smiths to see if I can get the barrel lug machined for a swivel screw. If so, that will be the second to last thing done.
    (The stock screw is an easy one, being a pro woodworker and all. <grin>)
    I will likely round the top of the recoil pad to emulate Pat's approach to helping with a fast mount, as described by TCinVA elsewhere. It's still supple and without cracks in it's 80th year.

For those that have not tried one, the Beartooth Products Shield 2.0 neoprene stock cuff is a *really nicely made* cuff, and seems to fit quite well. Totally worth the $16, and made in Montana, too.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 08-09-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The crazy dangerous gnomes are the urban ones that grew up in shitty neighborhoods—they’re absolute remorseless machines, with a fierce, but highly regulated honor culture.

I’m talking about the infamous metrognomes.
    This is what happens when their fathers are absent and they don't get the beating they should have to keep them playing from the same sheet of music as the rest of society.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This is what happens when their fathers are absent and they don't get the beating they should have to keep them playing from the same sheet of music as the rest of society.
    Plus, a lot of them have done hard time

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Maybe true. But he had his moments. (photo courtesy of @TCinVA, who now owns Pat's Ithaca. )

Name:  patsithaca-3.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  92.6 KB

Next mod will be sling swivels; checking with local 'smiths to see if I can get the barrel lug machined for a swivel screw. If so, that will be the second to last thing done.
    (The stock screw is an easy one, being a pro woodworker and all. <grin>)
    I will likely round the top of the recoil pad to emulate Pat's approach to helping with a fast mount, as described by TCinVA elsewhere. It's still supple and without cracks in it's 80th year.

For those that have not tried one, the Beartooth Products Shield 2.0 neoprene stock cuff is a *really nicely made* cuff, and seems to fit quite well. Totally worth the $16, and made in Montana, too.
    Needs Rifle sights and 13.5” barrel.

Never know when you will need to shoot a polar bear:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/20/n...-park-zoo.html
    Last edited by HCM; 08-09-2020 at 02:10 PM.

As an aside, one of the unsafed longs in chez totem right now is a dirt-cheap, box stock Stevens clone of the ‘37, with ghost ring sights. It’s a cool old design.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Needs Rifle sights and 13.5” barrel.

Never know when you will need to shoot a polar bear:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/20/n...-park-zoo.html
    NFA Short Barrel Shotguns are a no-go in The Great State of Minnesota, except for historical C & R type things, which you are not allowed to use as a weapon. I can SBR a rifle with little to no hitch, but not a shottie.

https://www.gunowners.mn/short_barre...s_and_shotguns

I spoke to the owner at Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca (former head 'smith at Ithaca Gun Company for decades) - a set of sights mounted to my barrel (also being further shortened to 18") would be $400+, and fitting a period rifle sighted 21" barrel would be $350+. Ithaca models before serial #855xxx (approximately 1955) all need individual head spacing and fitment.
    I'd rather put the do$h into a more modern gun and training.

Most all of the polar bears around here are easily subdued with a warm robe and a hot toddy.

Name:  2123390401_7ebed77a7e_c.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  26.3 KB
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 08-09-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    NFA Short Barrel Shotguns are a no-go in The Great State of Minnesota, except for historical C & R type things, which you are not allowed to use as a weapon. I can SBR a rifle with little to no hitch, but not a shottie.

https://www.gunowners.mn/short_barre...s_and_shotguns

I spoke to the owner at Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca (former head 'smith at Ithaca Gun Company for decades) - a set of sights mounted to my barrel (also being further shortened to 18") would be $400+, and fitting a period rifle sighted 21" barrel would be $350+. Ithaca models before serial #855xxx (approximately 1955) all need individual head spacing and fitment.
    I'd rather put the do$h into a more modern gun and training.

Most all of the polar bears around here are easily subdued with a warm robe and a hot toddy.

Name:  2123390401_7ebed77a7e_c.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  26.3 KB
    The best part about that story is it was not even a unique situation.

Commissioner Stern said it was the first fatal incident involving a bear in a New York City zoo in five years.
    On Sept. 26, 1982, a 29-year-old man was found dead inside the polar bear cage at the Central Park Zoo. He had apparently climbed a series of fences to get inside the cage and was killed by Scandy, a 1,200-pound bear.
    I think the fitted barrels were a thing till ‘65.

My Dad’s 37, which was purchased new in ‘62 or ‘63 falls in the fitted barrel serial number range.

I’ll check out diamond.

For @Lex Luthier

Not the best pic, sorry about that--I'm on the run right now.

I'll grab a better shot of the ghost ring tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List