Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

Name:  cabin5.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  20.8 KB

The gun on the bottom was my grandfathers. A Baker 12 sxs. He was born in a log cabin along a river in the rural midwest in 1897. He hunted, did farm work, and anything possible to hustle and make money. He had a cheap 22 single shot that he used to kill all sorts pf smaller game that he often sold to the butcher in town besides family meat. He often bought partial boxes of 22 shells, full boxes were too expensive. He always stopped and looked at the Baker gun in the window of the hardware store. After some time, the hardware store owner gave him the gun. His production of game for sale increased substantially.

At one point he and his brother drove horses and wagons about 100 miles and shot ducks and geese on a larger river and brought the full wagons back to sell. One hustle when young was to buy sheep and summer them in Montana, selling them after the summer for profit. he did it 2 summers. One of those summers he encountered a black bear coming around a large rock, it was not friendly. He shot it with both barrels loaded with bird shot, knocking it down, ran around the rock and reloaded, to repeat several times until the bear was done.

He became successful in various business endeavors, lived in a larger town, yet still liked to hunt ducks and geese. Dad said his hunting clothes of choice were older wool dress suits, doubled up, old dress shoes with two pairs of socks and galoshes, and was wicked deadly on flying ducks, able to hit 2 coming in, reload and hit 2 more before a flight of them passed out of range. The gun says "Choke Bored" and is very tightly choked. I pulverized a pheasant once with it when it jumped really close and i forgot the head shoot it.

He never took very good care of it, it was a tool. Dad had it restocked, reblued and got him a takedown case for it. His dad used to just put it in the trunk of the car with no case to take it anywhere. He passed when I was very small, I never really knew him. I started shooting it when a kid with Savage 410 inserts, which pattern pretty good. I later had the chambers opened to standard dimensions, forcing cones lengthened some, had the barrel latch rebuilt, and a good pad put on it. I shot clays with it now and then when dad was into it, and hunted with it a few times. Mostly I just enjoy having it, it looks great in the cabin and is fun to use now and then.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Set my 1301 Tactical up for the coming turkey season.

Social use vs hunting:

Name:  InShot_20240217_161932593.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  43.0 KB

Picked up an A300 Ultima Patrol. Looking forward to trying it out. I've read that the Aridus CROM for the 1301 also fits the A300, is that true?

Name:  IMG_20240305_175442960.jpg
Views: 348
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Picked up a few more since last time I posted pics...

Name:  R870Pa.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  27.6 KB

Scooped this '73-vintage 1100 of GB for $350. From the pics, I was fully expecting it to be pimp-gold in color when I picked it up (local seller) and figured I'd give it a Krylon make-over...but it turned out to be a nice Bronze cerakote.

GB ad pic
    Name:  R1100GB.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  24.2 KB

Swapped out the stock and added a few bits (it's still a much lighter color in pics than in person). Unlike my previous 1100 and several 1187P's I've used at work, this one eats everything.
    Name:  R1100 car b.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  20230610_154532.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  590A1 wood.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  34.3 KB

[QUOTE=kwb377;1559763]Picked up a few more since last time I posted pics...

Scooped this '73-vintage 1100 of GB for $350. From the pics, I was fully expecting it to be pimp-gold in color when I picked it up (local seller) and figured I'd give it a Krylon make-over...but it turned out to be a nice Bronze cerakote.

GB ad pic
    Name:  R1100GB.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  24.2 KB

Swapped out the stock and added a few bits (it's still a much lighter color in pics than in person). Unlike my previous 1100 and several 1187P's I've used at work, this one eats everything.
    Name:  R1100 car b.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.7 KB

Cool. I have a few 11-87P's and I was curious about those Choate stocks. What's the LOP on them? I had the PG buttstock on a Beretta 1201FP I used to have but that was 12 years ago and I don't remember what it was like.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Cool. I have a few 11-87P's and I was curious about those Choate stocks. What's the LOP on them? I had the PG buttstock on a Beretta 1201FP I used to have but that was 12 years ago and I don't remember what it was like.
    I think it's @ 12.5" or so...I'll have it measure later. If you order it for the 1100/87, it comes with buttpad spacers that Choate claims have to be used to clear the action tube nut but I didn't have any issues with clearance without the spacers.

Cool. I have a few 11-87P's and I was curious about those Choate stocks. What's the LOP on them?
    I was just looking at them the other day for my Ithaca and they have a nice set of spacers just like the Magpul:

Name:  Choate.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  29.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Picked up an A300 Ultima Patrol. Looking forward to trying it out. I've read that the Aridus CROM for the 1301 also fits the A300, is that true?

Name:  IMG_20240305_175442960.jpg
Views: 348
    Yes, pretty much every Aridus 1301 accessory fits the A300 except the mag stock adapter.

Site Supporter
    Cool. I have a few 11-87P's and I was curious about those Choate stocks. What's the LOP on them?
    Just measured...without any spacers, its 13.25".

Per Choate:
    The Mark 5 Conventional Stock features our spacer system which come with one 1/2 spacers and one 1/4 spacer included which adjusts the length of pull from 13 1/2″ to 13 3/4″ . You can lengthen your stock by simply adding new spacers and longer screws. NOTE- The 1100 and 11-87 shotguns can not be shortened shorter than 13 1/2 inches because of the recoil spring tube that protrudes form the back of the receiver.
    Mine has plenty of room for the action tube nut and doesn't require any spacers.

Name:  20240308_194621.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  19.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I was just looking at them the other day for my Ithaca and they have a nice set of spacers just like the Magpul:

Name:  Choate.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  29.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, pretty much every Aridus 1301 accessory fits the A300 except the mag stock adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    Just measured...without any spacers, its 13.25".

Per Choate:

Mine has plenty of room for the action tube nut and doesn't require any spacers.

Name:  20240308_194621.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  19.8 KB
    Very much appreciated.

User Tag List