Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

First Mod to my M2

I decided to hit the white dot in the front sight with an orange paint marker:

Name:  021485F1-AC8B-43A0-90D6-8E5C87C3DF6A.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  52.5 KBName:  AD1E6774-025C-44C0-ABEC-1FF6ABC9B3A1.jpeg
Views: 1012
Size:  33.1 KB

I like it in certain light, but to be honest I ordered an Aimpoint H2 and Scalarworks Mount.

Mid-1960s Remington 870 Wingmaster in 16ga. Cut back to 18.5", 13" LOP, cylinder bore. A smooth shooting gun limited only by the absence of high quality 16ga factory buckshot.

Last edited by oregon45; 09-08-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Mid-1960s Remington 870 Wingmaster in 16ga. Cut back to 18.5", 13" LOP, cylinder bore. A smooth shooting gun limited only by the absence of high quality 16ga factory buckshot.

My absolute favorite gauge. It's a shame that the 20 eclipsed it.

I have a 1933 model 12 Winchester, a 1947 Stevens 530A [sxs] and a 50's era single shot in 16.

The 530A is my go to gun for partridge and small game.

Your Wingmaster is a real beauty.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

A pawn shop near me had a sale, everything that had been in the store at least 6 months was 50% off. The pump is a Mossberg 835 (basically a 500 chambered for 3 1/2" shells") It's rough cosmetically, the stock is cracked to the point that it's not worth fixing (Mossberg stocks are cheap so that doesn't take much) and it's dirty so the action is sluggish. And the choke tube is missing. I have a black polymer stock for it so I just need a matching for end for the longer action tube on these older 835's. Havlin has them for $22. The price tag was marked down to $150 so I offered $125 and they accepted. The Little single is a 20ga H&R Pardner that was marked down to $75. It's also dinged up a little bit on the outside and the butt pad is hard but I think I'll put this one in a synthetic stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Maybe it's just me, but I think that little 20 gauge would make a great teaching gun for a youngster. Start them with some light field loads and have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I think that little 20 gauge would make a great teaching gun for a youngster. Start them with some light field loads and have some fun.
    Probably. I have an even shorter youth model with a 22" barrel and I also have a couple older models with thinner profile barrels that are easier to carry and maneuver but they are pretty light for a 20ga so felt recoil might come into play. Anywho, H&R/NEF singles are still out there in force and I still find them for under $100 on a regular enough basis that I have to stop buying every $100 one I come across. In fact I really need to stop buying them altogether unless it's a special variant I don't have because I have so many regular Topper and Pardner 12's and 20's that I would have to dig them out and count them to know the exact number.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Probably. I have an even shorter youth model with a 22" barrel and I also have a couple older models with thinner profile barrels that are easier to carry and maneuver but they are pretty light for a 20ga so felt recoil might come into play. Anywho, H&R/NEF singles are still out there in force and I still find them for under $100 on a regular enough basis that I have to stop buying every $100 one I come across. In fact I really need to stop buying them altogether unless it's a special variant I don't have because I have so many regular Topper and Pardner 12's and 20's that I would have to dig them out and count them to know the exact number.
    First shotgun I ever shot was a 20g H&R, at age 12. Was a good learning experience, but I’ve never owned one myself. Hardly ever see one.

This is the 835 I picked up the other day. Swapped on some polymer furniture I had laying around for it and took it apart and cleaned all the gook out. Action cycles a lot smoother now. It looks like it lived somewhere dusty but didn't get shot a ton. Probably either in a farm truck or shop for pest control.

Making the 80’s Great Again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List