Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    A close friend set one of those up for his wife as an HD option, she did quite well with it. He went all the way and sent the barrel to Vang and he did his magic, sans the porting. Limited buckshot choices of course but it worked very well in terms of improving patterns. He left the 21" vent rip as is and put a fiber optic on the front sight.
    My plan was to set it up that way and at least have fun with it. Figured if I was gonna set it up like an HD gun might as well get some ammo and have it ready as a backup option. I was looking around and I only found #2 and #3 buck and only 2 of those were designed for home defense. The best looking option was made by Remington so that's probably not going to work out. Plenty of good slug options though since 20ga slug guns are still popular for deer hunting. On top of the ammo situation I could only find one used 18" barrel on Ebay. If I keep the 21" barrel, everything else I want for it would run about $100. Any route to an 18" barrel is probably going to cost at least $150, probably more.

Suppose it might make a good woods/camp gun loaded up with decent slugs. Or maybe just keep it as a fun gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    This gives me all kinds of bad ideas. I have my grandfather's 16ga just collecting dust in the closet. Been thinking about selling or trading it for some ammo or something. All the metal is actually in pretty good shape and it still has a considerable amount of color case to it. After seeing this I think it's going to be my first ATF tax stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    This gives me all kinds of bad ideas. I have my grandfather's 16ga just collecting dust in the closet. Been thinking about selling or trading it for some ammo or something. All the metal is actually in pretty good shape and it still has a considerable amount of color case to it. After seeing this I think it's going to be my first ATF tax stamp.
    I’ve had worse ideas………

Like the .45-70 T/C pistol. 🤦*♂️
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    There is 16 gauge shells available out there as well.
    I have two of them, and I'm really hooked on the 16;
    A Stevens double SxS and a Winchester model 12.
    They're a joy to carry on a hunt and very comfortable to shoot.
    Not the thump of a 12, and not sharp like a 20.
    Last edited by CSW; 09-19-2021 at 07:23 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Came across this 20 gauge youth model 11-87 at a pawn shop today. Was able to pick it up for $550 out the door. It had some crud on the outside that may have been rust. Whatever it was it cleaned up pretty easy. The gun has not been shot much at all. If the gas piston wasn't dirty I might think the gun was unfired.

I'll use it as a stand-in for my 11-87 Police 12ga when I don't feel like destroying my shoulder or my bank account. Choate still makes 20ga mag extensions. The barrel on it is 20" so not sure if I'll bother trying to find/make a shorter barrel or not.
    I loved the way my 20 gauge 870 handled. But it went down the road with all the other shotguns that aren't a 1301 in the past year and a half.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I loved the way my 20 gauge 870 handled. But it went down the road with all the other shotguns that aren't a 1301 in the past year and a half.
    I really need to get one of those. And a Benelli M4.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

My spaghetti blaster...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    I’ve had worse ideas………

Like the .45-70 T/C pistol. [emoji1751]*[emoji3603]
    But see that's not a bad idea

Buddy of mine had one in 7mm Remington Mag. Big ass muzzle brake of course...but it didn't diminish the fun all that much.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    My spaghetti blaster...
    "Calzone killer..."

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    My spaghetti blaster...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    "Calzone killer..."

Manicotti Mangler.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List