Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    This is my very favorite shotgun in its most current configuration. It started out as a police trade-in 870 Magnum that I got for cheap. I used it for a few years as my 'QA' gun, where I'd test out new gear/configurations to see if I wanted to incorporate them on my primary defensive 870. Eventually I decided to SBS it and play around with short barrel ideas around 2016 or so. Of course, I took it to Vang Comp to do their barrel work, and talked to them about a specific iron sight idea I had. My idea had merit, but my implementation was going to be economically infeasible, so their lead gunsmith GT came up with an alternative that used modified COTS parts. He inlet an express rifle rear sight into a vent rib bbl, cut the bbl to 14", installed an XS regular dot up front, and milled a giant U-notch out of the fixed leaf of the rear. Then he milled a tighter semi-aperture into the flip-up leaf and zeroed it for Federal Tru-Ball slugs @ 50 yards. The wings of the U-notch look kind of like horns, and given the rear sight was intended for a big-bore African stopping rifle, we dubbed the concept "M'Bogo", the Swahili word for Cape buffalo.

The barrel has had Vang's signature internal work to reduce pattern size, though I opted not to have it ported given my big hands and their proximity to said ports on a 14" tube. I also added Vang's big dome safety and stainless mag follower, Magpul's excellent SGA stock, a GG&G sling plate behind the receiver (which necessitated a custom-length stock bolt) and a BFG padded Vickers sling. I initially had a factory polymer corncob forend and an Aridus Q-DC sidesaddle on her, along with a Wilson/Scattergun +1 extension. I swapped out the forend for a Hogue, and noticed that unless I was meticulous about hand placement, I could butt my big hand up against the Q-DC and short-stroke the gun, which had never happened before with the corncob. That made me swap the otherwise excellent Aridus unit out for a Vang velcro sidesaddle instead, and the issue was resolved. Most recently, I swapped the Wilson +1 out for a Vang +1 just to keep the gun as Vang as possible (the Wilson will get used on another project I'm working on).

This particular photo was taken by Cody Stewart at Vang's last month, because I want to keep a photographic record of how this gun changes over time. Words can't really express how much I adore this gauge. It fits me like a glove, it runs like a scalded-ass ape, and it does everything I want a shotgun to do. The vent rib brings my eye to the sights and looks badass too.

Attachment 64393

While it's certainly no comparison, I have a vent rib on one of my S&W 3000s, with two beads. I put one of the inexpensive snap over FO sights behind the rear bead and it made a HUGE improvement in sighting, both in quickness and accuracy.

Your setup is a work of art.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    While it's certainly no comparison, I have a vent rib on one of my S&W 3000s, with two beads. I put one of the inexpensive snap over FO sights behind the rear bead and it made a HUGE improvement in sighting, both in quickness and accuracy.
    Oh, I bet it would! That's a really great idea. I am a firm believer in "Vent Rib All The Things".

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Your setup is a work of art.
    Thanks! GT and the boys at Vang did a hell of a job that frankly does better than my original idea would have.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Most of the way done. Still needs a WML and, ideally, a Zhukov hand guard, but I’m pretty impressed with the Aimpoint/semi-auto combo as a HD tool. It certainly simplifies the shooting process.

Discussion on this here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Beautiful furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Every time you post that 11-87 I get a little weak knee’d. Back when I was in college I caught the clay shooting bug. Since I was, um, financially challenged at the time I bought a lightly used 11-87 Premier with a 28” barrel and spent money on reloading components (dad had a MEC 600jr) and shooting fees.

I lost count of the rounds I ran in that old gun and truly regret that I traded it off. I think I traded it in shortly after my 22nd birthday on a Smith revolver, but can’t be sure anymore.

Thanks to both! This project has been ongoing for longer than I can remember, but it's been a lot of fun.

Site Supporter

Santa has good taste in shotguns. Benelli M2 Tactical

My new Benelli M2 Tactical. I added the GG&G 3 Shot Extension and Light Mount, Inforce 800 Lumen Light, Wilderness Giles Sling, Vang Comp Spare Card Sidesaddle and a Mesa Tactical Urbino Pistol Grip stock with Limbsaver Pad. I need to find out who has Federal FC in stock.

Name:  M2.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  64.8 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Name:  7FC4E19C-3D98-4C76-9862-A0E8C3F8DF61.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  99.5 KB

User Tag List