Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

My 11-87 how I got it and after I got done with it. Added a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock, Wilson Combat dome head safety, new action spring, GG&G charging handle, Wilson Combat +2 tube extension and Nordic components tube clamp. I have an XS big dot coming in tomorrow and I need to add some velcro for shell cards plus figure out a light and front sling mount. The Urbino is a big improvement of the 14" LOP factory stock but I'm not really digging it. The grip is large and my hand is cramped on it and I can't put the safety one easily. The dome safety with this stock makes taking the safety off almost instinctive and automatic.
    Name:  evolution.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  50.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter

Picked this up today.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Now for something completely different.

This photo is from around 2007 I think. That's me, my Dad, and my brother. My dad and I are holding sequential serial numbered Marlin bolt action 12 Gauge slug guns. I think they're 512 Slug Masters. I'll check when I'm over at there house in a few hours. Mom's has a leather sling and shoots a bit better group. So Dad uses it. I'm holding Dad's with a nylon sling, I didn't own my own 12G yet. My brother is using a Mossberg 500 in 20 Gauge. He grew into his looks. I swear.

I grew up with almost entirely bolt action 12G shotguns. My brother used his 20G Mossy for everything, and it served him pretty well. Eventually I picked up an 1187. Truth be told, I've shot a hell of a lot more critters with Dad's older Marlin 12G bolt action beater gun (not pictured) than any other shotgun. I think this was the first year that my county of Upstate NY allowed rifles for deer season. None of my family ever bothered with them.

Name:  125122365_380137096755760_6869410124697916680_n.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  50.5 KB

Edit to add:

Here is us with a family friend. He used a Mosin with a forward mounted pistol scope that year. He recently sent me these photos. I had never seen them.

Name:  125057591_1327177210964294_862093216535492_n.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  54.3 KB

Yup. Marlin 512 SlugMaster. 2 of em. They're going to hell without much use. I'm going to clean them soon.

Name:  20201115_155310.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  28.3 KBName:  20201115_155256.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  25.6 KB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Name:  shorty1.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  shorty2.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  50.7 KB
    Name:  shorty3.jpg
Size:  92.8 KB

Former Phoenix SAU shotguns originally built by Vang Comp. Returned to Vang for:

- Refinish (burnt bronze cerakote)
    - Armorer work
    - Updated ejector
    - NP3 coating on working parts
    3/15/2016

Name:  2C6EA2F2-FBF3-4573-8C50-9EC9B3E458DA.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  99.6 KB

My daughter’s 870 Youth Express 20 gauge. It lives at my house and I like carrying it more than my 12 gauge.

I bought back that little .410 SXS from my first post and used it last month on a Clays and Feathers outing. 100rds of sporting clays in the AM, a BBQ lunch, and Pheasants, Quail, and Chukka in the PM behind dogs. Great experience and great time with family. The little .410 was more of a challenge than a 12 would have been, but still did its job, even on the Pheasants, and probably saved more meat on the little quail.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Former Phoenix SAU shotguns originally built by Vang Comp. Returned to Vang for:

- Armorer work
    - Updated ejector
    I carried the ghetto version of that on patrol. 14”, bead sight, Surefire forearm, wood stock with teeth marks on it.

I miss it. I would pay the freight for a SBS stamp but is forbidden in WA.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

- Armorer work
    - Updated ejector
    I'm still awaiting the stamp on mine. I fondled our mutual friend's up at the shop the other day. Those guns were the deal of the year, no doubt.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

This is my very favorite shotgun in its most current configuration. It started out as a police trade-in 870 Magnum that I got for cheap. I used it for a few years as my 'QA' gun, where I'd test out new gear/configurations to see if I wanted to incorporate them on my primary defensive 870. Eventually I decided to SBS it and play around with short barrel ideas around 2016 or so. Of course, I took it to Vang Comp to do their barrel work, and talked to them about a specific iron sight idea I had. My idea had merit, but my implementation was going to be economically infeasible, so their lead gunsmith GT came up with an alternative that used modified COTS parts. He inlet an express rifle rear sight into a vent rib bbl, cut the bbl to 14", installed an XS regular dot up front, and milled a giant U-notch out of the fixed leaf of the rear. Then he milled a tighter semi-aperture into the flip-up leaf and zeroed it for Federal Tru-Ball slugs @ 50 yards. The wings of the U-notch look kind of like horns, and given the rear sight was intended for a big-bore African stopping rifle, we dubbed the concept "M'Bogo", the Swahili word for Cape buffalo.

The barrel has had Vang's signature internal work to reduce pattern size, though I opted not to have it ported given my big hands and their proximity to said ports on a 14" tube. I also added Vang's big dome safety and stainless mag follower, Magpul's excellent SGA stock, a GG&G sling plate behind the receiver (which necessitated a custom-length stock bolt) and a BFG padded Vickers sling. I initially had a factory polymer corncob forend and an Aridus Q-DC sidesaddle on her, along with a Wilson/Scattergun +1 extension. I swapped out the forend for a Hogue, and noticed that unless I was meticulous about hand placement, I could butt my big hand up against the Q-DC and short-stroke the gun, which had never happened before with the corncob. That made me swap the otherwise excellent Aridus unit out for a Vang velcro sidesaddle instead, and the issue was resolved. Most recently, I swapped the Wilson +1 out for a Vang +1 just to keep the gun as Vang as possible (the Wilson will get used on another project I'm working on).

This particular photo was taken by Cody Stewart at Vang's last month, because I want to keep a photographic record of how this gun changes over time. Words can't really express how much I adore this gauge. It fits me like a glove, it runs like a scalded-ass ape, and it does everything I want a shotgun to do. The vent rib brings my eye to the sights and looks badass too.

Name:  MBogo_AllVanged.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  25.3 KB

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List