Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

Purchased a second set of handguards to stipple with a bit more of a mature/M1-ish layout, while preserving the originals. Apparently the “NEW” handguards purchased were of an older iteration, because they would not fit, as the mold did not have the notch for the barrel indexing collar. I fit the handguard and no one would be the wiser. Added a match saver, having to counter sink the nut to avoid piston contact. It worked well, but in hindsight, I wish I would have stuck to Velcro, given acceptance of Velcro as an accepted means for side saddles. Name:  522149DA-2C29-487E-8C83-3A898305CBE1.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  20220819_194244.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  47.5 KB

New short barrel shotgun, PF enabling and efile can be dangerous to the ole wallet....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Modern Clay Sport (my interpretation)

I am no gunsmith but I do 'smith a gun or two here and there.

Name:  Gen12 Vent Rib05.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  29.6 KB
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Uncle John I's Shotgun

Had to get into the under-the-stairs closet that's behind my weight rack today. My 6yr old Jr. Hardy boy had to inspect everything in it, obvi. He points to the ridiculously long rifle bag in the corner and asks what's in it.

I cheerfully got out Uncle John I's (no bs, that was his first name: John I) well used double barrel 12 gauge. John I was actually my paternal grandfather's cousin, but he was Uncle John I to the rest of the family. John I never lived anywhere other than his family's house high in the hills outside Morehead, KY and died there, quite the content old bachelor.

He was well removed from town and ruled his property and often fed himself with what he harvested with his 12g (or the Remington Nylon .22 my dad had given him). Many an ungulate and anything John I even remotely suspected of being a puff adder -the deadliest snake in the world, he'd explain- found their demise in a blast from one of the barrels. Family lore is that a home intruder met the same fate and was subsequently disposed of without troubling the authorities with a matter that was already concluded. John I would neither confirm nor deny.

John I was our family genealogist and Dad, being forever in thrall with the knowledge of his elders, was John I's favorite kin (and greatest provider in John I's later years). Dad would tell great stories about John I walking through the family burial plot pointing out who'd been killed on which side of the Civil War, the cousin blown up with his moonshine still, others killed in a car crash or shootout with revenuers while running said 'shine and, of course, the one who'd been shot for sneaking around with another man's wife. John I wasn't popular with all our kin, but they didn't dare cross him for fear of what he'd reveal about their branch of family.

When I was 13, my grandparents held a family reunion on their spread (also in the hills outside Morehead, but a damn sight closer to town than John I's) over a 3 day weekend. John I told Grandpa on Thursday that he was too ill to attend and was already passed when Dad went to check on him Friday morning. His funeral was held that Sunday, still holding the record for number of blood kin in attendance. As was his wish, he was buried in the family graveyard that, predating the Civil War, is officially a historical site.

It was a godawful, cold and rainy Sunday, and back then, the family graveyard was not at all accessible by car. John I's casket was delivered as close as physically possible to the grave site in the bed of a cousin's 4x4 truck. Every available 4x4 in the family and one tractor with a long flatbed trailer shuttled women and young children while every capable male hoofed it up the hill. The rain stopped just as we got to the storm felled tree that blocked all motorized progress. I was the youngest pall bearer and struggled to earn my position as we carried John I the rest of the way. Years later, I was at the movies with my girlfriend Susie and my best bud Chris to see Patrick Swayze's Next of Kin. When we got to the scene of them offloading the dead brother's casket (Bill Paxton, fwiw) into the bed of a 4x4, I broke into loud laughter. Susie thought I was an asshole and Chris nearly pee'd himself laughing at my inappropriate guffaws and the stares they caused.

John I left his trusty shotgun to Dad, which caused much consternation and dismay amongst the elder kin as it skipped a generation. Grandpa said John I's will was to be followed to the letter and Dad displayed the old double barrel for any and all to see. After Dad's funeral, John I's shotgun and Dad's beloved Ruger Single-Six came home with me. For a decade, I've intended to turn the shotgun over to someone who knows about such things to have it thoroughly cleaned, tuned, sprung, etc. Then I'll shoot it. Then I'll display it on my wall. Maybe this year. Anyway, my son has now seen another piece of his eventual inheritance.

I need a better overall pic, but these will have to suffice for the purposes of sharing this story for now. Thanks for reading.

Name:  SG1.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  SG2.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  SG3.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  SG4.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  72.2 KB
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 04-08-2023 at 05:59 PM.

That's really sexy.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    @Gun Mutt - That's a great story and an awesome shotgun!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Name:  BCBA8BFB-0C7D-4389-9E65-5A9BD8ED46AE.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  62.2 KB

Scored a trade in Police Magnum this afternoon. I wasn’t looking but for $350 I thought it was decently priced. I had shot Ashton’s Vang Comp 870 at a recent class and liked it better than my bead sighted 870.

It won’t be fired with that stock. I knew I had one or two wood buttstocks at home but I left the gun shop and drove to the nearest Cabelas and bought a Magpul stock. Hope to get it swapped this weekend.

I'm going camping tomorrow so I took a couple shotguns out to see how Federal low recoil Truball slugs function in them. Mossberg 500 and Remington 11-87 Police.

Name:  Shottys.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  101.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Found what reminded me of an old fashioned “General” type store in Livingston MT and they had this room upstairs. Back when there was a certain level of elegance in hunting.
    Name:  IMG_5893.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_5894.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  42.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_5895.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_5892.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  84.4 KB
    Anyone know what the “chisels” or other tools are in the case?

Picked up a pair of 11-87 police shotguns I had bought from Sportsman's outdoor superstore. Picked them up because they were only $450 each and the add showed rifle sights though I knew I might not get them. Now that they're here I decided to let my buddy have one for what I paid and I'm going back-and-forth on whether to upgrade the second one and leave it and a few other guns at my dad's house so I can fly up there without having to check guns or just sell it and my other 11-87 Police and spring for a pair of A300s or something. In any case I feel like the shotguns were a good buy. One looks beat up but racking the bolt feels nice and smooth. Wear parts on them aren't expensive to replace and even most of the upgrades for them aren't expensive.

Name:  11-87s.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  70.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List