Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HK's and finish wear/rust

Look at the P30 and HK45 photos in this thread to see how those levers look after some moderately hard use. Again, nothing to worry about; cost of doing business.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....374#post363374

RE: finish wear, I relish the fact that my P2000 looks like it's been through an apocalypse.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Same here, all three of my P2000's look like that. For the past three years I've been carrying one of them them a couple days a week on a remote coastal project site where salt spray and blowing sand are common, and there's not a trace of corrosion on that pistol. Just some normal holster wear (also known as character), and that hard to describe coloration on the levers.

I have 3 hard use pistols (2 P2000's and a P2000SK) all show significant finish wear but only the SK has corrosion.
    The finish wear is the black slide being polished down to a dark gray on the high points and the slide release levers turning purple/bronze. Basically cosmetic only.
    The SK corrosion (actual pitting) is from daily AIWB carry (in a holster with no sweat shield) directly against sweaty skin in the hot desert southwest. I'm very active outdoors and the gun gets sweated on a LOT.

Attachment 4108

Here's how nasty, sweaty my horsehide holster is.

Attachment 4109
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

As others have said and from what I have read on the subject the plum hue to the steel is due to the hardness and temper of the steel used. I have an S&W M13 3" that if put under bright light the barrel is plum colored.

It's definitely rust, on both the VP9 and P2000sk. I haven't run into this on any other brand of pistol, Glock/M&P/M9 etc. I do maintain and wipe them down, so it's not as if I soak them in salt and throw them in some damp hole somewhere. The VP9 is only carried for matches and it's rusting, the SK I get because I carry it AIWB regularly. I've gotten both frames and associated controls Cerakoted and will see how that holds up. This hasn't happened to anyone else? I don't think my hands are super acidic or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    It's definitely rust, on both the VP9 and P2000sk. I haven't run into this on any other brand of pistol, Glock/M&P/M9 etc. I do maintain and wipe them down, so it's not as if I soak them in salt and throw them in some damp hole somewhere. The VP9 is only carried for matches and it's rusting, the SK I get because I carry it AIWB regularly. I've gotten both frames and associated controls Cerakoted and will see how that holds up. This hasn't happened to anyone else? I don't think my hands are super acidic or anything.
    I've never seen a H&K lever rust, my slide has pitted (pic above) but the levers are fine. I have seen the backstrap retention pin rust in a used and abused P2000 before as well.
    I have had a Glock slide lock speckle with rust and have personally seen a Shield mag catch rust solid, so other brands aren't immune to rust.
    I have seen dozens of H&K levers turn purplish in color and bronze on the high points (just like your picture).
    If you put CLP on a white rag does it remove the rust and leave a skidmark on the rag?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Yes, Slip 2000 on a white rag on the stock release does wipe the rust right off. I had the slim levers on the SK Cerakoted just recently, but on the stock one it's exhibiting the same issue. I've had it with the backstrap retention pin as well, which is reasonable considering it's carried often and throughout the summer. So far with the VP9 its only the slide release that is affected. On the SK I saw it beginning on the rear sight and laser etching of the serial no. on the slide before I sent it off to Dawson for some sights. Once the slide returns I think I may strip it and have that Cerakoted as well.

I wasn't sure if this was a usual occurrence with the factory finish. Internally everything looks OK on both pistols.

When in doubt, maybe you can call HK. Despite the internet jokes they're actually pretty easy to work with.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've never seen a H&K lever rust, my slide has pitted (pic above) but the levers are fine. I have seen the backstrap retention pin rust in a used and abused P2000 before as well.
    I have had a Glock slide lock speckle with rust and have personally seen a Shield mag catch rust solid, so other brands aren't immune to rust.
    I have seen dozens of H&K levers turn purplish in color and bronze on the high points (just like your picture).
    If you put CLP on a white rag does it remove the rust and leave a skidmark on the rag?
    I'm not a metallurgist, and I ask this because I am hoping to understand what is happening, but:

If you can remove (wipe off with a solvent) this 'rust', is the normal finish underneath?

If so, I'm trying to understand how it is 'rust', which if I understand correctly, is oxide of iron?

I'm presuming when you remove the rust, you are down to bare metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List