Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HK's and finish wear/rust

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    realllllyyy..... p2000sk here i come.
    All you need to do is lurk until you find the right deal! I have seen some P2000SK's popping up since the P30sk is the new hotness.

Btw, I really miss my P2000sk and I really wish it wasn't a .40. It became a victim of my .40 cal sell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    All you need to do is lurk until you find the right deal! I have seen some P2000SK's popping up since the P30sk is the new hotness.

Btw, I really miss my P2000sk and I really wish it wasn't a .40. It became a victim of my .40 cal sell off.
    I really like my p2000 but there is a time and place for a sub compact.

My understanding is these issues are related to how hard the parts are, and blueing just doesn't stick to it real well. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I know the steel is good in the parts. The best option I have found on many of these is Robar NP3 or a combination of Np3 on internals and colored poly T on externals if you are that concerned.

The next gun I send to Robar for full NP3 + I do will be a P2000 because of how it is usually carried as a deep concealment gun.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-21-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    My understanding is these issues are related to how hard the parts are, and blueing just doesn't stick to it real well. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I know the steel is good in the parts. The best option I have found on many of these is Robar NP3 or a combination of Np3 on internals and colored poly T on externals if you are that concerned.

The next gun I send to Robar for full NP3 + I do will be a P2000 because of how it is usually carried as a deep concealment gun.
    Nyeti, you still rollin with your vp9?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Nyeti, you still rollin with your vp9?
    Yep. If I am carrying AIWB, it is a P2000 LEM. I no longer AIWB striker guns because I have an excellent option in the P2000/HK45C for AIWB and great holsters for them. These days, I actually carry the VP9 in a fanny pack most of the time due to my new vehicle's seats being incompatible with holsters.

Wayne and I are both working with P2000 LEM guns to stay current on the LEM trigger and I like the system for a lot of things. The VP9 and P2000 LEM have essentially replaced my P30's. The VP9 as my general purpose carry and shooting gun, and the P2000 series for deeper concealment stuff as needed.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Yep. If I am carrying AIWB, it is a P2000 LEM. I no longer AIWB striker guns because I have an excellent option in the P2000/HK45C for AIWB and great holsters for them. These days, I actually carry the VP9 in a fanny pack most of the time due to my new vehicle's seats being incompatible with holsters.

Wayne and I are both working with P2000 LEM guns to stay current on the LEM trigger and I like the system for a lot of things. The VP9 and P2000 LEM have essentially replaced my P30's. The VP9 as my general purpose carry and shooting gun, and the P2000 series for deeper concealment stuff as needed.
    I just started training with a p2000 tlg variant (at 900 rounds) and am finding that I can shoot it as fast as striker. I was completely biased towards the system before reading your posts/articles about it. I really dig how long the first pull is but how light/predictable it is.

Ok guys, just a quirk of the system then. As long as it's just aesthetics than I could care less. Thanks!

The best option I have found on many of these is Robar NP3 or a combination of Np3 on internals and colored poly T on externals if you are that concerned.

Robar's Norton Special (NP3 internals and slide) were very popular with LSP folks when personally owned SIGs were first allowed. The finish on these early SIGs would rust while you looked at them. I'd end up with surface rust at the end of a day carrying a 226 in a Summer Special. The added befit is the coated internals significantly increased the smoothness of the action, acting like an instant action job.

I sure wish I had my old Norton 226 and 225 back, foolishly sold in the late 90s.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-22-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    Ok guys, just a quirk of the system then. As long as it's just aesthetics than I could care less. Thanks!
    Honestly yours doesn't look bad with the even wear (mine doesn't either). The one shown in that HKPro link looks like it's chipping and falling apart at the seams, THAT I would return a gun over.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

My understanding is these issues are related to how hard the parts are, and blueing just doesn't stick to it real well. .

This is the answer. Between my wife and I, we have eleven HK pistols, and all of them display this to one degree or another. It is indeed strictly cosmetic; no worries, shoot the gun and enjoy it.

The Hostile Environment finish on HK pistols is every bit as good, in terms of resisting corrosion, as the Tenifer that used to be applied to Glocks is. I have been carrying several HK pistols since 2004, mostly IWB, and have yet to see the first hint of corrosion on the gun parts. A few of the Trijicon night sights have developed a spot of rust here and there, but nada on the slides/barrels/levers/etc.

Some years back, Customs had an issue with the trigger bar plungers on their P2000 pistols corroding badly when exposed to salt water. HK changed that little plunger to stainless steel; problem solved.

User Tag List