Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK's and finish wear/rust

HK's and finish wear/rust

All,

I have a P2000sk bought new last February, and a VP9 that's about 3 months old. I've taken each through a local IDPA/USPSA match about twice a month with a range session or two in between. The SK is my daily CCW and the VP9 is the nightstand gun when not used for matches.

Recently, I have noticed that the SK has been a little prone to surface rust and in particular I have noticed a large discoloration of the slide release levers on both sides. It is carried in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster. I'm a righty and use the slide release when reloading on that side every time. Same with the VP9. On both, the finish is wearing quickly, though more so with the SK. The VP9 had either light surface rust or dirt/skin from my thumb built up in the grooves of the lever in pretty short order, and in photos you can see a flat dull spot forming in the finish.

With some oil, and on the SK a bronze brush, I've gotten the gunk off but as you can see on the SK it look's like the thing is turning gold. The SK's roll pins also appear to show signs of corrosion. I've basically soaked it in Slip 2000 and am trying to get off what I can.

I clean these things, and though I beat them up in matches somewhat I wouldn't say that I've neglected them. To my eye it's looking like the finish on both pistols is a little lacking compared to the Glock 17 I'd been using for competition and carry previously. Even side by side the Glock's slide release shows minimal wear.

For the HK users out there, is this common? There's a place that does Cerakoting about an hour from here, would that help?

P2000sk and Glock

VP9 wear starting

Pretty sure that's not corrosion at all on the slide release, but an issue with the surface hardening making the finish wear off prematurely. Common complaint over on HKPro. You can Cerakote it if the discoloration bothers you, but functionally it's something I would have zero worry over.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 10-21-2015 at 08:26 PM.

My pretty new low profile slide release looks like that, with a wearing browned finish. The stock slide release on the right side is just worn to silver. Either way it's not rust so it's not something to worry about, I take pride in my guns getting worn from use
    Last edited by Peally; 10-21-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Pretty sure that's not corrosion at all on the slide release, but an issue with the surface hardening making the finish wear off prematurely. Common complaint over on HKPro. You can Cerakote it if the discoloration bothers you, but functionally it's something I would have zero worry over.
    Here is a recent example:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...highlight=Plum

my p2000 is doing it (I bought it used from someone of note here/that I trust) and I think it looks cool. But I also like when my guns look like they have been used.

I'm sorry, I just see a used gun that is looking used. The slide stops on all my HKs started to discolor. I didn't see a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    The guys over at HKPro are really hung up on things that probably wouldn't phase the average HK shooter here. There are long threads about how the slide stop rattling on their HK causes them much consternation, and how when their P7M8 slide turns plum they want to rush out and get it refinished.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The guys over at HKPro are really hung up on things that probably wouldn't phase the average HK shooter here. There are long threads about how the slide stop rattling on their HK causes them much consternation, and how when their P7M8 slide turns plum they want to rush out and get it refinished.
    This is why HKPro is the best resource to buy used HK's. The dudes over there like to caress and fondle their guns with minimal amounts of shooting. It's no different than buying a high performance sports car off of a blind quadriplegic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    This is why HKPro is the best resource to buy used HK's. The dudes over there like to caress and fondle their guns with minimal amounts of shooting. It's no different than buying a high performance sports car off of a blind quadriplegic.
    Now that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    realllllyyy..... p2000sk here i come.

User Tag List