Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Looking to buy 9mm in bulk

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Forgive me for my ignorance, steel case ammo can hurt your barrel? Is it because the bullet is made out of something weird or the steel shell casing?
    The steel case itself isn't really much of a problem for the barrel/chamber in handguns, but it can be hard on breech faces and extractors. The real problem is the bimetal bullets in most steel cased ammo that has iron, and higher levels of zinc in it which causes excessive wear on the barrel rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    The steel case itself isn't really much of a problem for the barrel/chamber in handguns, but it can be hard on breech faces and extractors. The real problem is the bimetal bullets in most steel cased ammo that has iron, and higher levels of zinc in it which causes excessive wear on the barrel rifling.
    Hauptmann - Is it also anything to do with the thermal conductivity of the brass casing? Meaning, would the brass carry away more thermal energy than steel, allowing the gun to run cooler? (And presumably wear less)

Or not so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Hauptmann - Is it also anything to do with the thermal conductivity of the brass casing? Meaning, would the brass carry away more thermal energy than steel, allowing the gun to run cooler? (And presumably wear less)

Or not so much?
    There "might" be something to that with rifle cases which generate substancially more heat, but likely not with pistol cases. In the cutlery industry, you can sharpen steel with the same grade steel. Zinc and aluminum oxides are also used in synthetic sharpening stones because of their abrasive properties.
    Last edited by Hauptmann; 11-06-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    I have seen bimetal barrel errosion first hand.
    Oh, I didn't doubt you for a minute. I've never seen it, but heard enough about it to believe.

User Tag List