Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame malfunctioning

J Frame malfunctioning

Friends,

Recently after a string of fire with some easy shooting wadcutter loads I had my 442 freeze up. Specifically the firing pin was protruding from the bushing, staying in the forward position. I was able to push it back in with a feeler gauge, unload it and fiddle with it a bit more. It is semi consistently doing this now. I have not pulled the sideplate off of the gun yet, and am not sure if this is due to debris, or a burr on the pin. The 442 has had a bit of dry firing, but honestly not much, as I don't have snap caps for it.

It does have a fair amount of rounds through the gun overall, as it has been my work BUG for roughly 15 years (minus time OCONUS). For you old school wheelgun guys, what should I look for, aside from obvious debris or burrs? Sadly S&W revolvers are one of the few armorer programs I have not done.

Fortunately I purchased an old nickle 442 that came from a retired NYPD guy a number of years back, so I simply did a quick BUG qual course the other day, after zeroing the CT laser grips, so I am G2G for a 2nd gun if I need to send my regular 442 off to the factory.

TIA

Back to the factory. I find with revolvers, anything not fixed with cleaning and lubrication needs professional attention, and that one is likely a warranty issue.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That is what I am sort of anticipating.

Sounds familiar. This is what I experienced, and saw elsewhere:

الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    the only time this happened to me was with a 3rd party firing pin. I'd call S&W.

Site Supporter
    Is the FP in a 442 the same used for other j-frames? Maybe time for an Apex kit?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Back to the factory. I find with revolvers, anything not fixed with cleaning and lubrication needs professional attention, and that one is likely a warranty issue.
    Normally, I'd second this advice. But in this case, the Apex kit is likely to solve the issue.

I've installed almost a dozen Apex kits in various Centennial model J frames. Apex got it right with that one. Many "upgrade" items are fluff or bling. Not the Apex kit for J frames.

That said; the possibility exists that your bushing is the problem. If so, it definitely needs to go back. But the Apex kit isn't too expensive, and is easy to install. I'd throw one in there and thoroughly vet the pistol with a few hundred rounds. If it still sticks, then the bushing is the culprit... in which case you re-install the OEM parts and send it back.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Normally, I'd second this advice. But in this case, the Apex kit is likely to solve the issue.

I've installed almost a dozen Apex kits in various Centennial model J frames. Apex got it right with that one. Many "upgrade" items are fluff or bling. Not the Apex kit for J frames.

That said; the possibility exists that your bushing is the problem. If so, it definitely needs to go back. But the Apex kit isn't too expensive, and is easy to install. I'd throw one in there and thoroughly vet the pistol with a few hundred rounds. If it still sticks, then the bushing is the culprit... in which case you re-install the OEM parts and send it back.

Just to clarify, the firing pin that stuck in my J frame was an Apex part. It stuck in the firing pin channel just like ST911's picture indicates immediately after installing it and doing some test dry firing. I called up Apex and they said that they were aware of the issue with their firing pin and had re-designed it to obviate the issue (this was circa summer 2012 or 2013 if I remember correctly). They sent me a new, re-designed firing pin that arrived only a couple weeks later but I had already re-installed the OEM firing pin and had 0 issues with it so I just left it in. Have had 0 issues since.

I was advised via PM of recent issues with those Apex kits. First I've heard of it, but I certainly don't think that Apex is immune to the various ills that can crop up when a vendor has a successful product and tries to make it better or more cost-efficient.

The ones I've done, including two personal Centennials, are not having issues. I'd certainly hear from their owners if they were. So, it would seem that Apex has either been victim of bad material, or they messed with the specs, etc.

Worth keeping an eye on, in any event.

I had a late 2013 Apex kitted 442 that suffered from light primer strikes (on multiple brands of ammo) until I put all factory parts back in.
    OTOH my Apex kitted 360 has never had an issue and smacks off everything I stuff in the cylinders.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List