Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of Speed Six for Carry

Pros & Cons of Speed Six for Carry

A relative of mine has a 2 3/4" barrel Speed Six in 357. He's thinking about using it as his carry gun. (For him, a revolver is a good choice over a semi auto.) He doesnt own any other handguns & isnt a gun hobbyist type. He doesnt want to fool with his own guns (changing springs, etc) He asked me the pros and cons of using this model gun. I have a 6 in barrel Security Six. I've used it at the range & sometimes when doing outdoor activities. But not a lot. I've never used a Six Series gun for general carry & would appreciate your comments on this out of production revolver for the purpose mentioned. Thanks -

AFAIK they maintain a superb reputation. I had one as you describe in the '90's and sorely regret not keeping it.

It's very close to a K frame in size and to some, me for one, it carries more elan.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have a Service Six in .38 spl. with the 2 3/4 barrel. I love that gun and would never part with it. If I could only have one it might be the one.
    Last edited by SteveK; 10-20-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

Cons: Heavy

Pros: Reliable, Powerful (adequate to Holy Schitt), accurate enough for self-defense, when empty can use as bludgeon (See Cons)

Thoughts: He should go to next Revolver Roundup to learn how to run a wheelgun for mortal stakes.

It would be my number one choice for carry while doing lawn work.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Are parts much of an issue - at least any parts most likely to break ? Are gunsmiths tough to find to work on them ? (He's in the Seattle area.)

I don't put enough rounds through my Security Six to know.

BTW - he did let me shoot it a few years back. Very nice gun.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 10-20-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It would be my number one choice for carry while doing lawn work.
    Because you get moose and bear in your lawn?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

SamAdams- You asked about parts? They can be in short supply. I had an older Security Six with multiple issues. I sent it to Ruger who informed me they would be unable to effect the repair because they no longer supported the necessary parts. To Ruger's credit, they did make me a screaming deal on a new GP100.

The fact is your relative's Speed Six will probably go a long, long time before parts replacement is even relevant.
    Last edited by SMD; 10-20-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Because you get moose and bear in your lawn?
    Nope:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....This-Situation

You are working in your backyard when two guys surprise you, both with guns held. You decide compliance is not the best course and decide to engage them. One guy is at 3 yards and the other behind him at 5 yards, a little to his left. There is no cover. Assume average thug skill level. You have a BUG gun with 6 rounds only. Assume the shooter has C-Class USPSA or Sharpshooter IDPA skills.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    The only Cons I know is that Ruger doesn't support this model any longer. So if he was say planning playing gun games with it he might have a problem. But they are a very sold design, I can't imagine to many things would wear out.

User Tag List