Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should a lefty shooter even consiider a Sig??

I'm left handed and As a kid I learned to shoot a handgun with my fathers west German 226. It's funny the things we figure out as kids when no one tells us that "just make sense."

I quickly learned to drop the magazine with my strong side trigger finger and use my weak side middle finger to hit the mag release after seating the magazine.

When I worked in a gun shop for a few years (a few years id prefer to forget) it used to drive me nuts when customers would be adamant about NOT buying certain pistols because they weren't ambidextrous. Every pistol I've ever shot was ambidextrous, you just have to run it differently as a left handed shooter.

It especially drove me nuts because nobody ever told me how to do it and I never ruled out a gun because it didn't "fit my hand" or it "wasnt ambidextrous." That was the gun dad had, or that was the gun the military was issuing me... I just learned to shoot it and dealt with it.

I currently carry a Glock 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a right handed shooter who is experimenting with shooting left handed. I got a Sig P320C b/c it's almost fully ambi. It took a little effort to reverse the magazine catch. It's great!

I had a P239 and a P232 and had no issues operating either as a lefty. Most leftys figure out how to make things work rather than emulate a mirror image of righties.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I think SIGs work just fine for left handed use, but that depends on what you're looking for. If you want blazing fast speed reloads then maybe not. For me (right handed), as others have mentioned already, failures to go to slide lock on empty are commonplace. I'm not riding the slide stop either, during recoil my thumb will bump it sometimes (but not every time) and cause the failure. Additionally, on my 226 (though never on my 228, 229, or 239) I'll squeeze it in just the wrong way to pop the magazine out during recoil. If I were left handed I wouldn't have either issue. Index finger can easily operate mag release and decocker. Slide lock reloads, "slingshot" or "powerstroke" work just fine but won't help your FAST times at all.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Classic SIGs often work better for lefties than righties. It is righties that struggle with SIGs, as the controls tend to get in the way when using the modern thumbs-forward gripping technique. In particular, the slide stop lever is often depressed, by many shooters, preventing the slide from locking open when the mag is empty. (I have never had this latter issue, as my thumbs ride lower than the side stop lever, and my thumbs are relatively short, anyway.)

I use my left index finger to release the mag when shooting lefty. This, too, is an advantage, at least for my hands, when shooting a SIG lefty.

I am left-handed, functionally ambidextrous with most handguns, and have carried "primary" on my right hip since 1984*. Seriously, a SIG works better lefty than righty.

*Why carry righty, as a lefty? Well, I tend to lead with my left side in a confrontation, which means my right hip is a longer reach for an opponent in a gun-grab. It is easier, when driving most vehicles, to reach the right hip. I had to carry a DA revolver as a rookie LEO, and right-hand reloading techniques flowed more smoothly. It made sense, in the beginning, to choose right-side carry, for my individual situation.

Yes buy SAO!

Quote Originally Posted by urbantitanium View Post
    I am a lefty shooter and for years have been intrigued with the Sig P229 or P226. Even though I have my heart set on a polymer striker fired 9mm for my next purchase, I would consider the Sig. Are there any lefties here who own Sigs and love
    them and have no issues, or should I just move on from Sigs all together as a lefty?

Thanks
    I made an account just to respond to this. Yes you should, you should get used to single action only (SAO) models and learn how toanipulate them as well as carry them with a round in the chamber and the hammer back. They come with manual ambidextrous safeties and reversible mag releases. The slide lock being not not left handed shouldn't matter for obvious reasons.

User Tag List