Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should a lefty shooter even consiider a Sig??

Nobody has mentioned the decock lever. This, too, is easily manipulated with the trigger finger for a southpaw.

The magazine catch is indeed reversible.

Using the overhand grasp technique on the slide works the best; just grab, retract fully, and release to chamber a fresh round from slide lock. To lock the slide back, use the same overhand grasp, retract fully, then use the middle finger to pull up on the slide stop lever.

Be VERY aware that reversing the magazine catch must be done with extreme attention to detail. The little nub on the retaining detent plunger only goes in one way, yet its possible to turn it one hundred eighty degrees during re-installation. Do that, and your mag catch is hors de combat. I'm told that Sig has developed a way to remove that without ruining the frame, but you'll have to send it back to them. They (Sig) told us, in 1989, that if you did that might as well write off the frame, because the only way to un-screw it was to punch out the catch; and that nub would take a piece of the frame with it.

All that said... it isn't a terrible deal to do; quite easy, in fact. Just be DAMN sure that the detent plunger is oriented the right way.

Anyway... the P-series DA/SA pistols are very easy for a southpaw to "run". IMO, far too much attention is placed on ambidextrous controls on a handgun; just below "second strike capability" and the dreaded high bore axis...

I carried a P228 in 9, then a P229 in 9 and then a P229 in 357 Sig. I retired in 2001. I will let you guess which Federal Agency I worked for. As a LH shooter, I used my trigger finger to press the magazine release, just like 1 do with a 1911, and decock before holstering. I used the slingshot method to release the slide catch at that time, just like I learned on a 1911. No issues. I must not have like these Sig pistols as I have never owned one. For me at this time it is all Glocks. I use the overhand or taco method the release the slide lock now.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 10-20-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by urbantitanium View Post
    Its completely non ambidextrous! Its seems to always been said that Sigs are "not left handed friendly."
    Not so.

I'm left-handed and have had no trouble at all with the three (P225, P220 European, P220A) Sigs I've owned.

The left index finger is actually more adept at operating the decocking lever and the mag release button than is the right thumb!

The slide release lever is harder, but then it's not something you typically need in a hurry, since you can "slingshot" or "overhand" the slide from lockback.

(What bugged me about the Sigs I owned, and the reasons I didn't keep them, were the DA/SA trigger and the needlessly-high bore axis. I realize that many owners aren't bothered by those features, and certainly they were well made, quality guns, but I prefer "always the same" trigger actions and a lowest-possible bore axis in semiautos.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

It's not as bad as right handed scissors, but they do cater to the other 87% primarily.

As you can see from many of the previous replies, there are always ways around a gun. Turn it, go under it, use the other finger to do it. We adapt, find ways and make it work as a manner of life, so yes as a lefty you can enjoy a SIG. I own only one, a P225, and have enjoyed it for many years and will continue to do so. Do I use it as a competition gun? No way, the controls slow me down, but I still enjoy shooting it at the range for fun.

The Sig P226/200 is a wonderful gun , and I would totally go for it knowing that you will have to do what we usually do.
    Last edited by LostDuke; 10-20-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    You might even get the slide to lock back on the last round....

I didn't have any choice in the matter as we were issued 226's. Learned to operate them just fine although they never grew on me. Really don't care for them to this day but that has nothing to do with being left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by urbantitanium View Post
    I am a lefty shooter and for years have been intrigued with the Sig P229 or P226. Even though I have my heart set on a polymer striker fired 9mm for my next purchase, I would consider the Sig. Are there any lefties here who own Sigs and love
    them and have no issues, or should I just move on from Sigs all together as a lefty?

Thanks
    IMO, Sig now makes one of the best poly / striker pistols on the market with the P320. It is an ambi pistol. Magazine release button is reversible, ambi slide stop and no deckocker to manipulate. A standard classic line DA/SA Sig Sauer is not overly complex to run as a lefty either.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Not so.

I'm left-handed and have had no trouble at all with the three (P225, P220 European, P220A) Sigs I've owned.

The left index finger is actually more adept at operating the decocking lever and the mag release button than is the right thumb!

The slide release lever is harder, but then it's not something you typically need in a hurry, since you can "slingshot" or "overhand" the slide from lockback.
    I am a lefty and keep a german P229 but carry and compete with a USP (also not considered ambi). This is very dependent on the individual, but I can manipulate all the controls on the USP with my left hand easily, including the slide release with my index finger. I cannot say the same thing for the magazine or slide release on the P229.. for my hands and grip, they are very challenging to manipulate (more so than any other pistol I've shot).

As others have mentioned, on a non-ambi gun, your grip will probably not interfere with the slide release, which is a huge plus IMO.

To me, there are two issues at play here:

1) What do you intend to use it for? Competition, occasional range toy, carry?

Is being unable to easily manipulate the slide release a major drawback for your intended use? IME, slingshotting instead of manipulating the slide release is approximately a .3-.6s penalty. Doing a reach-around with your right hand may be less time consuming, but it will still be slower. Does that matter to you? For me, having to use slower reloading techniques is a dealbreaker on a competition gun but not necessarily on a carry or range gun.

2) How well does the P-series (which I assume is the object of your question) fit your hand?

Can you manipulate the magazine release easily or reverse it?

I didn't find that I could comfortably manipulate it (on the left side) with any consistency or confidence, though others have posted that they had better luck with it. Again, is that a requirement based on your intended use?

Conclusion: If the P series fits your hand and you feel comfortable manipulating the controls, which seems to be very individual, it's a great choice. If you're so-so on it, and don't just want to have a P22X for the sake of having a SIG, there are probably better options, like the 320.

I'm left handed and I learned to really shoot on the SIG. At one point I had close to 30 of them. Then I was down to two, as I moved on. It wasnt that the SIGs I had were bad, I just migrated from them. That said, if a certain friend decides to get rid of his never used P228, I would like to add it.

I do not reverse the mag release. I use the over hand method of grasping the slide and releasing. I do this on ALL guns, even the VP9 I carry every day. Why? So I have one method to release the magazine and one method to chamber a round that works for all of my semi autos. I dont want to train with one gun, say a VP9 in my case, learn it particulars and peculiarities (ambi slide stop/release and magazine release) only to have them not work on another gun (my Beretta 92s).

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    You might even get the slide to lock back on the last round....
    Right. My least favorite thing about classic Sigs as a right hander is that darn slide catch. Don't lose any sleep over it, but...

User Tag List