Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good gunsmith to work on my S&W 65

I've used a couple of these guys with great results, but it's hard to beat Hamilton Bowen for revolver work.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I tend to think of Bowen for complete rebuilds and heavy alteration. Sending a gun to Bowen for a trigger job and chamber chamfering would be like sending a Corvette to Callaway to get the spark plugs changed and the tires rotated.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Anybody know a good revolver smith in WA state ? I have a relative there who would like work done on an old Ruger Six Series revolver & his wife has a J frame to be worked on. They prefer not to ship outta state, but it seems the number of good local gunsmiths have thinned out over the years. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I tend to think of Bowen for complete rebuilds and heavy alteration. Sending a gun to Bowen for a trigger job and chamber chamfering would be like sending a Corvette to Callaway to get the spark plugs changed and the tires rotated.
    Last time I talked to him, Bowen felt the same way. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Maybe because I did a bunch of work with him, he did a trigger job and front sight only on a half dozen or more of my revolvers, including all my Scandium 329 revolvers. I love his DX style front sight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    http://www.sdmfabricating.com/

I haven't used him but seems to have a goof reputation.

Frank Glenn just did a little work on a Model 28 for me. It is a death ray with a combination of the trigger and muzzle crown. Unfortunately.....I got a couple guns to him in a hurry because he was going in for shoulder surgery.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Grant Cunningham. Frankly, he's been phasing out gun smithing for a good while now. 3 years to get on the list, then another 5 1/2 climbing only to find out he's bagging it. Once again, the moral of the story is: two slots is one, one is none. I forgot about Greco. I have a Denny R, and I've had C&S, just looking at all options afresh. Thanks a ton for the input thus far, folks, I figured the scoop would be had here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Grant Cunningham. Frankly, he's been phasing out gun smithing for a good while now. 3 years to get on the list, then another 5 1/2 climbing only to find out he's bagging it. Once again, the moral of the story is: two slots is one, one is none. I forgot about Greco. I have a Denny R, and I've had C&S, just looking at all options afresh. Thanks a ton for the input thus far, folks, I figured the scoop would be had here.
    Thought I read an old blog of his that Grant Cunningham was experiencing some repeated use injuries, so that's why he had to give up gunsmithing as a business ? That old blog said he would try to take on future work if his condition improved. And, that he loves to do gunsmithing - but may not be able to physically do so. A buddy of mine has an old d.a. Colt that needs work. He was hoping that Mr. Cunningham could work on it some day, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. IIRC Cunningham even had the capability to fabricate some parts no longer factory made.

Site Supporter
    This thread without pics should be a criminal offense...

User Tag List