Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower to SBR

I seen on BCM's website that the 11.5" uppers are labeled NFA? I though it didn't matter on uppers because the lower is the "gun"? Am I gonna need two stamps to buy a bcm upper and then a lower?

Nope. You won't need a stamp for the upper.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Run, do not walk to a BCM lightweight 11.5" upper.
    Have you run it suppressed much? Just wondering how well the ELW profile supports a can. I sometimes run a SF 212 can on a DD 10.3" LW barrel and see more zero change than with a standard profile barrel. Not that zero shift is unexpected, I'd just prefer to have it be minimal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I seen on BCM's website that the 11.5" uppers are labeled NFA? I though it didn't matter on uppers because the lower is the "gun"? Am I gonna need two stamps to buy a bcm upper and then a lower?
    You dont need a stamp for the upper but it can only legally be placed on a pistol lower or an NFA registered SBR or full auto lower.

If you already own regular ARs, you may want to wait until you have a pistol or approved NFA lower to put it on before buying the upper to avoid "constructive possession" issues.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-22-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    Have you run it suppressed much? Just wondering how well the ELW profile supports a can. I sometimes run a SF 212 can on a DD 10.3" LW barrel and see more zero change than with a standard profile barrel. Not that zero shift is unexpected, I'd just prefer to have it be minimal.
    Yes. EAG class this past weekend. I did not worry about zero shift as I plan on only shooting it suppressed. With a H buffer and Saker 556, the weapon was very soft shooting, accurate, and reliable with steel cased ammo.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    What lower did you SBR and why?

I did 2 Spikes because one had fire/safe and one said semi/safe.

Now thinking of doing one more, either a Gen 1 Aero Precision, New PSA lower, or my Armalite. The Armalite was on my 3 gun rifle and the Aero was my first lower I put together. The Armalite drops Gen1/2 magpul mags better. Aero is a cleaner lower and what I used for my LWRCi M6A3 upper.

Out of my 3 what would you do?
    I used to have different thoughts on this than I do now. It used to matter more what lower you used, but there were also fewer options.

I would be inclined to spend a little time on the project, and build the lower the way you think you're going to want it set up. I'd then go shoot the lower with the mags, ammo, etc. that you might want to use when it's an SBR, but with a 16" upper on it. I'd check for things like buffer wear/angle, mag wear/drop-free, FCG wear/rubbing, etc.

Or, if you have a lower that's known good and functional, I'd go with that. Barring any kind of overly bizarro logo that annoys you (like the Spikes for me) I wouldn't worry too much about who made it at that point.

True Rob. The AP is cleaner nicer and has not been run that hard compared to the Armalite. Its proven, and with good parts.

I have been contemplating doing an SBR on a lower.

Without a doubt, I will use a Colt, probably a 6920.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yes. EAG class this past weekend. I did not worry about zero shift as I plan on only shooting it suppressed. With a H buffer and Saker 556, the weapon was very soft shooting, accurate, and reliable with steel cased ammo.
    Are you running a standard bolt carrier? I ask because I have an 11.5" BMC upper that will soon get suppressed. I'm curious to hear if the Gemtech adjustable bolt carrier or the LMT enhanced carrier are worth the extra cash when using this particular upper.

As it stands now, the gun does not appear to be over gased. I'm torn between waiting to see how it runs suppressed versus jumping on a Gemtech that is for sale on DSG.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-30-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Are you running a standard bolt carrier? I ask because I have an 11.5" BMC upper that will soon get suppressed. I'm curious to hear if the Gemtech adjustable bolt carrier or the LMT enhanced carrier are worth the extra cash.
    BCM standard (full auto profile).

Save your money, stick with BCM.
    #RESIST

User Tag List