Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower to SBR

Lower to SBR

What lower did you SBR and why?

I did 2 Spikes because one had fire/safe and one said semi/safe.

Now thinking of doing one more, either a Gen 1 Aero Precision, New PSA lower, or my Armalite. The Armalite was on my 3 gun rifle and the Aero was my first lower I put together. The Armalite drops Gen1/2 magpul mags better. Aero is a cleaner lower and what I used for my LWRCi M6A3 upper.

Out of my 3 what would you do?
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 10-19-2015 at 07:54 PM.

I SBR'd my first AR lower I ever bought which was a complete LMT Defender 2000. I didn't know anything about ARs and even less about how to put a lower together. I didn't care about markings and only knew that LMT was/is good to go.

Out of your three, I would go with the one that has given you the least trouble (I suspect none have) and wouldn't worry too much about older generation PMAGs not dropping free. I'd be more concerned with it working with standard aluminum GI mags.

I am in the process of SBR'ing a lower right now. I went with a forged Mega lower.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Now thinking of doing one more, either a Gen 1 Aero Precision, New PSA lower, or my Armalite.
    Is there any reason you're going with the Gen 1 Aero Precision instead of Gen 2? At first glance they look fairly similar, and any differences on the Gen 2 either seem to be positive or neutral changes as compared to the Gen 1.

Its what I have.

Was planning on the Group buy lower but that looks null and void.

I have the old AERO PRECISION written on it, I wonder if thats pre gen1.

I do like my Troy from a Complete Gun I have. I just do not know if pulling apart a complete gun is worth it. My factory Troy Rifle does have 2600 rounds through it and the Armalite a lot more ,Granted it is going to be with me for life....my Armalite still says M15A4 on it and would look good on a 16 inch gun. Then I think does it really matter what lower I use as long as I like it.

Thanks Tom.

I've been looking at an SBR and using either the PSA lower or buying a ready-made Daniel Defense SBR. Thoughts on building vs ready-made?

Quote Originally Posted by GNRPowdeR View Post
    I've been looking at an SBR and using either the PSA lower or buying a ready-made Daniel Defense SBR. Thoughts on building vs ready-made?
    Build all the way, much cheaper and just as good. Run, do not walk to a BCM lightweight 11.5" upper.
    #RESIST

I'm waiting on stamps for the following stripped lowers that I built up myself: Aero Forged FDE, Mega Forged Gator, and a CMT UHP15 PDW. The latter is a VERY cool lower, BTW. All have been test fired with at least 250 rounds on various 16-18" uppers and run just fine.

I'm also waiting on stamps for the following factory built uppers: BMC blem and 2 different KAC SR-15 IWS. They also run fine.

Finally, I have 2 SCAR 16s uppers (the serialized portion of the SCAR) that should get approved any day now. One will get a factory 10" barrel and the other a factory 14.5" under a Kinetic Development Group M-Lok rail that it currently wears. Again, all flawless in terms of function.

Finally, if you are going to build out the lowers yourself, I highly suggest that you look at PSA's customizable LPK's. Take a hard look that the LPK's that come with a MOE grip and no trigger group. Then, buy an either the ALG ACT or the ALG QMS trigger. Those packages will give you a quality LPK with an excellent trigger for about $100.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-21-2015 at 10:27 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Build all the way, much cheaper and just as good. Run, do not walk to a BCM lightweight 11.5" upper.

Yep. The BCM 11.5" is much preferred over the DD Mark 18 10.5" upper that BMC sells on their website. That DD upper has a way oversized gas port...I mean waaay oversized if you plan to suppress it with full power NATO spec ammo.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List