Page 46 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: RDS on a SemiAuto

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If the RDS installation is good, then there is little to no movement of zero when changing the battery...

I am excited to see if the DP Pro proves more rugged, durable, and as user friendly than current mRDS options--if so, then it should be a good choice.

On the other website that was mentioned, the CEO stated that they were phasing out the Docter3's due to lack of demand. Everyone was asking for RMR's so that's what his company was going with, even though the D3 tested better and had some advantages over the RMR.

I have a Docter 3 on a G17 that I've put 800 rounds thru. Still learning, but so far I likey.

The problem with Docter is less the sight, but more their customer service. Don Lazzerini was putting DrOptics on Glocks and 1911's back in the late 1990's and early 2000's for some local SWAT teams older LE officers--when the sights broke, Docter was very poor in handling the issues. Don't know if that has improved or not. On the other hand, Trijicon has had awesome CS.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Any ideas on when the DP Pro might be released? Probably getting a new P30LS within the month, wondering if I should upgrade the sights or just leave them be, since any upgraded sights will become useless after I put an RDS on top. I know DocGKR said back in January that it's slated for summer 2014 commercial release, but I've no idea if Leupold is generally good about release dates or if they tend to delay launches constantly.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-08-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Have the RMR's been updated yet? I'm considering picking one up in the next month or two and trying to decide what to go with.

They received new electronics in the Fall of 2013.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    They received new electronics in the Fall of 2013.
    Thanks. Would the 02 be a good choice or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Based on my own experience watching a lot of people try MRDS pistols, I am forced to assume that the MRDS shooters were slower, and more statistically significantly slower than they were more accurate...
    Yup.

In my limited circles, that is exactly what I have seen, regardless of shooter experience level… you're just plain slower on the first shot out of the holster with the RDS.

Once "up and on" the gun, then the advantages of the RDS assert themselves. But you really have to work hard to get an acceptable first-shot "split" (from "Holy cow, gotta shoot this guy!" to the bang)… and you're STILL slower than using straight irons… even if you cannot see the irons so good.

This is the main reason why, over five years after having my first RDS-equipped pistol built, I'm still not carrying one of them. No doubt it is a software issue… but an important one, nonetheless.

The biggest thing I have learned about shooting with the MRDS is that your draw style can really vary the time it takes to acquire the dot.

Last fall shooting with Todd at the NRA, I partially adopted his presentation method in that the gun come up high and level quickly and then pushes out.
    This gets you onto the Dot much faster than anything else I have found.

I was at the NRA with my wife a few weeks ago, and able to get 2rds onto a target in 1.5s (target was 7m and set to 1.5sec per exposure) from concealment -- which for me is a huge gain.

I have been historically a much larger rifle user than pistol (such is the nature of the Military) and the MRDS giving me a Dot is a familiar sight -- something that works great with a gas mask, or NVG's as well. I also find that shooting on the move is much easier with a RDS equipped gun.

Both my carry pistols have MRDS in them (Leupold DeltaPoints) - one thing I do need to ensure is every Month at the first of the month a new battery goes in and I step out back to my pistol berm and shoot 5 rds to confirm zero.

DeltaPoint2 commercial release should be next month - or into June.

I'm supposed to be getting 1 this month and 2 DP Pro's I will keep folks informed.
    I plan on putting the DP2 on my Shield, and a PRO on my CORE, the other on a 11.5" SR-16
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Patience Fellas, New PF Member Warning So .......

Kevin thx for the detailed post, especially re. the higher presentation. Being the new guy on PF, much to glean & learn from here, sim. to my joining LF years ago w/ many familiar SMEs here as well.

I am currently @ a paltry 1K rds w/ an RMR on my CORE, all vastly different from my G19 w/ irons. Until I can reach a personal validation point w/ the CORE, the 19 remains my EDC for some time to come.

Having followed your Shield/DP thread on LF + a Shield due here any day now, looking forward to your feedback w/ the next gen. DPs. Now time for me to climb back under my rock, thx for tolerating me thus far fellas.

Dang Kevin, I put a new battery in my RMR's every 2-3 years or so...

User Tag List