Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: RDS on a SemiAuto

My point about the average shooter using the RDS on a pistol is backed by my beliefs that the RDS is easier to "plink" with and also has a shiny fancy gear factor. For this forum's shooters, yes the dot will take a bit of training with to voercome find the dot during movement, recoil, initial draw, etc. However, that isn't the majority of the American shooting world. Remember, I said "average shooter," not the guy working on his pressout and splits.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think MRDS on pistols is a near-certainty. While it won't deliver the same performance for the top 5%, it will greatly speed up the fundamental task of hitting a target for a huge percentage of the gun-carrying population. Then you'll see techniques change to maximize the benefits and compensate for the deficiencies.

The technology will have to change substantially before the field-of-view issue goes away. Until that happens, those "top 5%" folks will always be faster with irons.
    Todd already said it better than I just attempted to.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I don't think I disagree with your post (#11), you and I just differ on the definition of a "shooter".

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I don't think I disagree with your post (#11), you and I just differ on the definition of a "shooter".
    I think I know where you're going with this.... Something like the difference between a gun owner and a gun shooter, perhaps?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I wonder if a MRDS was designed such that when the dot is "out of the window" it would still illuminate a spot on the edge of the window/tube such that you could easily identify at least what direction the dot is in and if that would make it easier to track/find the dot on presentation and during recoil. It'd be sort of like seeing the orange paint on my front sight even when it isn't in the rear sight notch.
    That is what I was thinking, only I was thinking of a "bar" on the edge of the RDS.

Site Supporter
    I'll be honest, the cheap side of me is what's holding me back. I also feel like I'm too early to the game, specifically wrt the off sight dot issue.

I'd hate to get a slide milled for an RMR, then have a much better one come out next year - with a different footprint.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I wonder if...
    Holy crap. I've heard that before... and now we have the Gadget.

MRDS industry, prepare to be boarded.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Holy crap. I've heard that before... and now we have the Gadget.

MRDS industry, prepare to be boarded.
    Somebody already said it, but you guys really need more minions. And possibly a secret lair.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Somebody already said it, but you guys really need more minions. And possibly a secret lair.

Though "Pinky" isn't exactly the nickname I'd always hoped for...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I predict that it will absolutely go mainstream as costs inevitably go down and the technology matures. I know of and acknowledge the deficiencies you speak of, JHC and I have no plans to switch away from irons anytime soon but red dots are where we are headed. Less training for the average shooter and absolutely better for bad eyes. 5-10 years.
    Yep, I have to concede that happy eventuality. And sooner or later I expect to need them. As Todd notes, the mini RDS needs another jump in tech. Ideally to use the existing slides rear dovetail and faster to acquire the dot witout 5K rds of retraining the presentation. That is a killer IMO.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List