Page 110 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1138

Thread: RDS on a SemiAuto

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    I am not disputing your take on this, and I have zero experience with a pistol mounted RDS. I found the following review on the Holosun 507C to be interesting, and the presenter (I do not know him) seems to be informed, articulate and skilled. The review was sufficient to cause me to want to investigate the Holosun products when I move to an RDS.

https://youtu.be/JuOyq90oa-Q
    He has very good content for mrds information. I would not trust a Holosun with my life though. I have bought and used a lot of their products. They are usually the best in their price range and sometimes better than more expensive options. But they are also a crap shoot, some work great some crap out early. I think for a range/comp maybe/learning mrds without a huge investment they are well worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another anecdotal data point:

On yesterday's range trip I shot my G19.5MOS with 507 back to back with my wife's G48. Shooting two mags as fast as I could while maintaining some semblance of control, I put a greater percentage of rounds (90%) into the black of a B8 at 15 yards with the 19 than I did with the 48 at 7 yards.

The dot makes a huge difference in being able to track the sights while firing, detecting minute movement in sight alignment, and overall being able to consistently align to the same point on the target beyond 5 to 7 yards even in slow fire. I am farsighted and have found my ability to use iron sights has markedly decreased with rifle and pistol, as focusing on the front sight makes the target a very indistinct blur (much more so than memory says it used to). This seems to have coincided with the recent need to use reading glasses.

Even in bench/supported rifle fire, my accuracy suffers markedly with irons. I just can't tell if I'm aiming at the same part of the target.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I forgot to mention... besides the points others have noted with dry fire, I have had far more success calling my shots with the dot than I ever did with irons.

Still working on getting consistent presentation but 90-95% of the time it's right there, especially if I try to just drive the gun to my intended aim point instead of trying to acquire it visually (which is when I tend to first center the front sight in the window like a ghost ring and then have to fish for it). When it works I think I'm even getting faster acquisition of a real sight picture than with irons but that's not confirmed with a timer yet.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

The Vortex red dot reflex sights seem to have a great warranty

I have created a new topic a few minutes ago because I'm considering equipping my EDC with a Venom or Viper and I am looking for someone who uses those or a similar sight to tell their views on the usefulness for EDC.

I have personally decided on the Venom or Viper due to price performance and especially the warranty. They say they have a 100% lifetime warranty. https://vortexoptics.com/vip-warranty

But if they fail often or if I am unable to conceal well enough then I may have to suffer with iron sights and my bad eyes. Don't get me wrong, I can still hit a bullseye on a target but then to track a moving target is not easy with bad eyes.

So if anyone knows someone who constantly carries their EDC with a reflex red dot, I would love to hear from them.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
    I'm considering equipping my EDC with a Venom or Viper
    Just my opinion but price to performance has no place when it comes to self defense. It is all about performance IMO.

If you are dipping toes in the RDS waters then, fine, there are many choices.... but for serious use (carry/duty) there is only one proven choice at the moment... the RMR.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Just my opinion but price to performance has no place when it comes to self defense. It is all about performance IMO.

If you are dipping toes in the RDS waters then, fine, there are many choices.... but for serious use (carry/duty) there is only one proven choice at the moment... the RMR.
    Maybe so on the Trijicon RMR, and I can see from what I have read that it is the best. The question I had to decide is if paying $250 for what is CONSIDERED the best is really the best. If it comes to paying 200 to 250 for the Vortex vs 500 to 600 for the Trijicon, with similar optics and considering the ruggedness of the RMR vs the Vortex (and the lifetime warranty on the Vortex) and the vortex seems to be rugged also as seen in some testing vids that I have seen. But then again, I consider your views are very valid. I debated the Trijicon and Vortex and various others.

It really does come down to price to performance in my opinion or I would but the most expensive weapon I could find. I think most people accept trade offs and personal preference. But more chaps to you if you only get the best for serious use.

Anyway, I really would appreciate a more positive thought as to how well a reflex red dot sight holds up from someone who uses it? S0nspark, do you use one on your EDC? If so then I would be happy to hear your answer to my questions rather than a philosophical response as to what type of a product I should buy. I really am looking for a good recommendation.

Jim

My EDC is a 19x with an RMR type 2, milled by ATEI. 3000 rounds of self-defense type ammo and zero issues.

The superiority of the dot far outweighs any perceived drawbacks at this point.

Some RDS hold up, the RMR is one of them. I BRIEFLY played with both the Viper and Venom but didn’t feel either was adequate for EDC/serious use gun. The 3 MOA version that I had wasn’t as easy to pickup in bright sunlight as I would’ve preferred and I don’t want a 6 MOA dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    My EDC is a 19x with an RMR type 2, milled by ATEI. 3000 rounds of self-defense type ammo and zero issues.

The superiority of the dot far outweighs any perceived drawbacks at this point.
    Hi Maca,
    Thanks. That is very helpful.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Some RDS hold up, the RMR is one of them. I BRIEFLY played with both the Viper and Venom but didn’t feel either was adequate for EDC/serious use gun. The 3 MOA version that I had wasn’t as easy to pickup in bright sunlight as I would’ve preferred and I don’t want a 6 MOA dot.

Thanks Wake27,
    That was very helpful. Can you expound on a few things please: Why didn't you want the 6MOA? Are you using it for a distance grater than 25 yds? Do you currently use a Reflex sight for your EDC?

User Tag List