Page 83 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: RDS on a SemiAuto

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    What distance are you guys zeroing your optics at?

I'm going to begin my experiment with rds on pistols. Picked up a blue label 17mos and a ff3 for dirt cheap. I'm looking forward to seeing if it helps my iron shooting as well. I'm going to try and keep some good data on it.
    25y for rmr and t1 for me.

Up close I don't use the RDS until the second or third shot, that's what irons are for as they are faster up close.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    25y for rmr and t1 for me.

Up close I don't use the RDS until the second or third shot, that's what irons are for as they are faster up close.
    Sounds like the iron sights are a crutch that are interfering with how to optimally run a dot. My USPSA CO pistols don't even have iron sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What distance are you guys zeroing your optics at?

I'm going to begin my experiment with rds on pistols. Picked up a blue label 17mos and a ff3 for dirt cheap. I'm looking forward to seeing if it helps my iron shooting as well. I'm going to try and keep some good data on it.
    An SME (Gary Roberts) that I've been listening to since the 10-8 days says 25yds. IIRC & that is what I use.

That last statement intrigues me. I have heard many people say that and I plan on testing that a lot to see if it holds true for me.

Why did you choose a 25 yd zero?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sounds like the iron sights are a crutch that are interfering with how to optimally run a dot. My USPSA CO pistols don't even have iron sights.
    What distance are you zeroing your CO pistols at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I zero at 18 yards. I love it. It's like the perfect zero for uspsa.
    That's what I was looking for. I plan on running the gun in CO and comparing my classifier scores to my production scores to see if I see an advantage from a slide mounted red dot.

P.S. Let's all be nice and get along! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    An SME (Gary Roberts) that I've been listening to since the 10-8 days says 25yds. IIRC & that is what I use.
    I zeroed mine at 10 yards based on the trajectory info for my defensive load. That puts me on at 10 and 25, about 2 inches down at 50 and about a foot down at 100 all of which I find easy to remember ;-)
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I zeroed mine at 10 yards based on the trajectory info for my defensive load. That puts me on at 10 and 25, about 2 inches down at 50 and about a foot down at 100 all of which I find easy to remember ;-)
    The trajectory info is really what I think I'm after. Since I use my own reloads it may complicate things. I have seen the charts for rifles but I haven't seen any for pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

That last statement intrigues me. I have heard many people say that and I plan on testing that a lot to see if it holds true for me.

Why did you choose a 25 yd zero?
    I plan on typing out a longer post on the subject on my site in the upcoming days as I very recently shot at a class with an optic mounted pistol which had a 25y zero, if it had not I would not have been able to shoot as accurately and quickly as I did at distance.

The simple answer is that 10y and in trying to get a "sight picture" or "finding the dot" is going to be considerably slower for anyone who has started out with irons and did not start out with an optic. I have posted on this subject before, with this same information and my experience has not changed, in fact it is solidified with the more time I spend on optic mounted pistols.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I plan on typing out a longer post on the subject on my site in the upcoming days as I very recently shot at a class with an optic mounted pistol which had a 25y zero, if it had not I would not have been able to shoot as accurately and quickly as I did at distance.

The simple answer is that 10y and in trying to get a "sight picture" or "finding the dot" is going to be considerably slower for anyone who has started out with irons and did not start out with an optic. I have posted on this subject before, with this same information and my experience has not changed, in fact it is solidified with the more time I spend on optic mounted pistols.
    How did you determine that it's slower for everyone and not just yourself?
    i used to wannabe

The trajectory info is really what I think I'm after. Since I use my own reloads it may complicate things. I have seen the charts for rifles but I haven't seen any for pistols.
    Try this:

http://www.handloads.org/calc/index.html
    "A man's character is his fate."

How long would you say it took you to get used to this?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List