Page 101 of 114 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1138

Thread: RDS on a SemiAuto

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Getting an RDS for a handgun is my gun related project for 2018.

Several local police departments are allowing RDS on duty sidearms and many of my shooting buddies have begun shooting in the Carry Optics division in USPSA. (I don't yet know anybody who is shooting optics in IDPA)

My thought at this time is to get a Trijicon RM06 type 2 with the 3.25 MOA dot. (Doc GKR has done a wonderful amount of research on this topic and I defer to his expertise). I know a few guys who got the 6.0 MOA dot and some really like it for close range target engagement and others aren't sure and think maybe the smaller dot would be more flexible across a wider variety of applications.

Vortex is a local vendor and I know about four guys who work there and their customer service is excellent and I have a StrikeFire II RDS on my BCM carbine and we use their optics on rifles at one of the departments I work at -- that being said, it seems at this time that if you have a Vortex RDS on a handgun and run it hard, the RDS will probably break.

We're in a very similar boat - I decided the same two things you did: (1) RMR. If ya gonna do, go with (what seems to be) the agreed industry standard. That way, if it doesn't work out, you don't find yourself thinking "well, maybe if I hadn't gone with the budget model...." (2) 3.25 moa dot. This comes from my buddy's recommendation (he is a skilled competition shooter) as well as my desire to make intricate shots out to 30yd.

Don't know if you've narrowed your choices down further but I am thinking - LED, Adjustable.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

So I had a RM06 installed on a glock, as a reasonably priced backup to my Colt CCO. Figured that I owned the glock already, and all i had to pay for was the optic/milling. I also opted for no sights. I've been acquiring the dot reasonably well with my colt and I figured that I could work out sights at a later time.

Well, I wasn't finding the dot on the glock well at all. I had thought that the dot would come into the window from 10:30, as the gun tends to line up as I tighten up my support hand grip, and drive the gun forward, but it seemed to be all over the place. Then I added the set of standard height Ameriglos that were on the gun before the RMR install, and finding the dot seems much easier now. AND it comes into view reliably from 12:00. I'm not consciously using the sights, and when the gun finally aligns, I can't see the sights anyway. So, I'm guessing that the presence of sights just help my brain keep the gun more squarely aligned until the window comes into view.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    So I had a RM06 installed on a glock, as a reasonably priced backup to my Colt CCO. Figured that I owned the glock already, and all i had to pay for was the optic/milling. I also opted for no sights. I've been acquiring the dot reasonably well with my colt and I figured that I could work out sights at a later time.

Well, I wasn't finding the dot on the glock well at all. I had thought that the dot would come into the window from 10:30, as the gun tends to line up as I tighten up my support hand grip, and drive the gun forward, but it seemed to be all over the place. Then I added the set of standard height Ameriglos that were on the gun before the RMR install, and finding the dot seems much easier now. AND it comes into view reliably from 12:00. I'm not consciously using the sights, and when the gun finally aligns, I can't see the sights anyway. So, I'm guessing that the presence of sights just help my brain keep the gun more squarely aligned until the window comes into view.

Consider the iron sights just a band aid — solve the underlying technique issue so as to be able to present the pistol and reliably acquiring the dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I had an opportunity to play with a full-size 320 with Romeo and was impressed with the difference. Lots of time with Aimpoints on MP5s and M4s but zero with dots on pistols. I may buy one just to test it to death, because science.

My 62 year old eyes enjoyed being able to see...
    It may seem frustrating at first. RDS on carbines are almost fool proof whereas on handguns there is a learning curve.

The same benefits are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Getting an RDS for a handgun is my gun related project for 2018.

Several local police departments are allowing RDS on duty sidearms and many of my shooting buddies have begun shooting in the Carry Optics division in USPSA. (I don't yet know anybody who is shooting optics in IDPA)

My thought at this time is to get a Trijicon RM06 type 2 with the 3.25 MOA dot. (Doc GKR has done a wonderful amount of research on this topic and I defer to his expertise). I know a few guys who got the 6.0 MOA dot and some really like it for close range target engagement and others aren't sure and think maybe the smaller dot would be more flexible across a wider variety of applications.

Vortex is a local vendor and I know about four guys who work there and their customer service is excellent and I have a StrikeFire II RDS on my BCM carbine and we use their optics on rifles at one of the departments I work at -- that being said, it seems at this time that if you have a Vortex RDS on a handgun and run it hard, the RDS will probably break.

Nevermind my previous (and uniformed) post. I now see the RM06 IS the LED adjustable. It looks like you and I have decided on the exact same optic (well, mine is FDE).

Mine will be here FRIDAY (day after tomorrow). Have you got yours, yet?

I picked up the CZ P10c (also FDE) yesterday, the sight gets here in two days, and I've pretty much decided on Scott (Cajun Gun Works) to cut it up. So much for my "buying freeze".

ETA - Oh yea, wuchoo doin for a rear back up?
    Last edited by JATA; 06-07-2018 at 05:21 AM.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    've pretty much decided on Scott (Cajun Gun Works) to cut it up.
    Just curious... Did you consider Mark @ L&M Precision Gunworks? He does excellent work. He pretty much started this whole thing with Suarez International ... and his pricing is very competitive.

Also, Primary Machine is doing some very interesting work on CZs...
    Last edited by s0nspark; 06-07-2018 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Restructured
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Just curious... Did you consider Mark @ L&M Precision Gunworks? He does excellent work. He pretty much started this whole thing with Suarez International ... and his pricing is very competitive.

Also, Primary Machine is doing some very interesting work on CZs...
    I looked at them, I looked at Danger Close, as well as a few more. Truth is - I'm in unfamiliar territory, here. Not only do I know very little about the whole process (choosing back buis) but also who is the most qualified to do the work, all of it. I've read an read, watched videos, made calls, sent emails, etc. I feel a little more clear about it, now, but still have nowhere near the understanding I wish I did.

Kinda chose Scott because he seems to know CZ's (not my first CZ) and he is just a good guy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    I looked at them, I looked at Danger Close, as well as a few more. Truth is - I'm in unfamiliar territory, here. Not only do I know very little about the whole process (choosing back buis) but also who is the most qualified to do the work, all of it. I've read an read, watched videos, made calls, sent emails, etc. I feel a little more clear about it, now, but still have nowhere near the understanding I wish I did.

Kinda chose Scott because he seems to know CZ's (not my first CZ) and he is just a good guy to deal with.
    The guys at Cajun Gun Works are great guys to work with... no doubt. They are really new to the optic milling game, though. Not saying they wouldn't do a good job or anything like that - it is just that, for my guns, I wanted someone who had done this a LOT to do the work. ;-)

Mark @ L&M would give you a great turnkey experience. The key IMO is that Mark really knows his stuff and has been doing this as long or longer than anyone. He was very patient with all of my pre-sales questions so you might consider emailing him (mark@landmprecisiongunworks.com) and see how that goes before making up your mind.

To be clear, I'm not trying to push you in a specific direction or anything. It was a nailbiter for me when I was deciding on who and what for my first MRDS build and, honestly, I couldn't be happier with the work and the whole experience I had with L&M. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of Mark's work before you made up your mind.

FWIW I mentioned Primary Machine simply because they are highly regarded by those on the CZfirearms forums who have had them do work... I don't have firsthand experience with their millwork, though. All of my guns have gone to Mark.

ETA: with a good shop, you only need specify what kind of BUIS you want (all black, fiber, tritum) and they take care of the rest... I went with a plain black rear and a custom fiber front on my P-07s.

Name:  2018.05 CZ P-07 new carry configuration.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  29.4 KB
    Last edited by s0nspark; 06-07-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    The guys at Cajun Gun Works are great guys to work with... no doubt. They are really new to the optic milling game, though. Not saying they wouldn't do a good job or anything like that - it is just that, for my guns, I wanted someone who had done this a LOT to do the work. ;-)

Mark @ L&M would give you a great turnkey experience. The key IMO is that Mark really knows his stuff and has been doing this as long or longer than anyone. He was very patient with all of my pre-sales questions so you might consider emailing him (mark@landmprecisiongunworks.com) and see how that goes before making up your mind.

To be clear, I'm not trying to push you in a specific direction or anything. It was a nailbiter for me when I was deciding on who and what for my first MRDS build and, honestly, I couldn't be happier with the work and the whole experience I had with L&M. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of Mark's work before you made up your mind.

FWIW I mentioned Primary Machine simply because they are highly regarded by those on the CZfirearms forums who have had them do work... I don't have firsthand experience with their millwork, though. All of my guns have gone to Mark.

ETA: with a good shop, you only need specify what kind of BUIS you want (all black, fiber, tritum) and they take care of the rest... I went with a plain black rear and a custom fiber front on my P-07s.

Name:  2018.05 CZ P-07 new carry configuration.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  29.4 KB
    Which brake is that and do you find that the red dot stays in the window during recoil?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Which brake is that and do you find that the red dot stays in the window during recoil?
    That is the Primary Machine Stealth comp: http://primarymachine.com/cz-p-07-09-stealth-comp/

It is pretty awesome It does help the gun shoot flatter, in my experience, but the degree of difference depends on what ammo you run through it (because of how comps work...) The hotter the ammo, the better!

User Tag List