Thread: Nobody Cares How Hard You Work

Nobody Cares How Hard You Work

Good read. I think shooting is very much about this.

"...you’ll need a different approach—one that prioritizes doing the right things, not just lots of things."

http://99u.com/articles/51908/nobody...-hard-you-work

I'm not sure this 100% applies to the shooting sports. If you are blasting rounds down range without a goal, other than havin' fun I suppose, then I would agree.

Hard work; effort and time spent, are different metrics for everyone.

I would ask members here: What do you consider hard work when it comes to training for shooting stuff?

Is 15 minutes of dry fire a day considered hard work? Is two range sessions a month considered productive, or barley passing the grade with effort?

I ask, simply because the above is what I do. But I've seemingly reached a plateau in my training right now (at least when it comes to the FAST), so the question for me is: Do I need more effort or more time spent, or both, or neither? According to the article above it might be neither or it might be both. Maybe I just need a break?

Who sets the metric though? And how do we measure success vs effort and time?
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-18-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    Who sets the metric though? And how do we measure success vs effort and time?
    Who sets the metric? You do.
    How do we measure success? Through competition. Even just competition with one's self.

This is why it's so important to have well-defined goals, and to track and record your progress.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

I'm struggling with this. Wife and I are able to practice for steel challenge 2x/week and can set up scaled down (smaller targets/shorter range) stages, but we've been drilling too much on stages. It's clear I've reached the point where I need to analyze our faults and shoot drills which specifically address these faults. In my case, for example, I'm not recovering from recoil with the sights aligned so coming up on the next target I'm having to make a large lateral correction. I think every hit in yesterday's match was on the L/H side of the target; we practiced transitions after the match on one stage and the r/h steel plate looked like someone had painted the l/h side black after about 40 rounds, the r/h side untouched. In my case it's easy to get stubborn and just bang away without analyzing what's going on. Hopefully this Wednesday I'll make some progress toward addressing this particular problem. Nothing wrong with working hard as long as you work hard at the right things.

Hard work; effort and time spent, are different metrics for everyone.
    Yes

I would ask members here: What do you consider hard work when it comes to training for shooting stuff?

Is 15 minutes of dry fire a day considered hard work? Is two range sessions a month considered productive, or barley passing the grade with effort?
    I dunno. I've worked WAY harder at shooting than some guys that beat the stuffing outta me... That's why I don't think it matters. What the outcome is matters.

Do I need more effort or more time spent, or both, or neither? According to the article above it might be neither or it might be both. Maybe I just need a break?
    I really wish I knew. In my case, I can throw effort at a problem, but have been surprised that my biggest gains have come from stepping back, watching a movie, and trying again with a fresh mind... Know theyself?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I really wish I knew. In my case, I can throw effort at a problem, but have been surprised that my biggest gains have come from stepping back, watching a movie, and trying again with a fresh mind... Know theyself?
    What you hit on here is important. Developing a new skill or building muscle requires REST. Not that I'd know much about high level shooting compared to you Les, rather for me, it was an old gunsmithing adage. Throwing hard work at a problem is nice, but sometimes when people say to "work smarter" that means to step back from something frustrating, clear your mind and try again after you've slept.

I couldn't tell you how many guns I'd have thrown into the drywall if I didn't take this advice.

I dunno. I've worked WAY harder at shooting than some guys that beat the stuffing outta me... That's why I don't think it matters. What the outcome is matters.
    I'm new to the competition. I've only been training in earnest for about a year.

On my last club match I was beaten by a shooter I know, a great guy. He came in 6th overall (79.136%) and I came in 7th (76.801%), just behind him . We chatted a bit about our training. I told him I dry fired most every night for 15 minutes. He looked at me like I had two heads. He said he dry fires occasionally, but would have no time for that much dry fire. In the same breath he told me that he had already shot 18 matches this season. 18!!! Shit, I have only shot 3 matches and this is my first season. I would not be able to shoot that many matches and still have a marriage.

But it makes one think, which is better time spent? Raw math says I have less time invested than him and yet we are fairly evenly matched. Taking out range practice, I probably have far more gun handling time than him, because of all the dry fire. He has much better knowledge of the game, and seasons and seasons of multiple matches under his belt. Who works harder and has more invested it competition?

I dunno either, but I thought it was an interesting comparison.

Really good point. Right now I'm feeling rather burnt out, I took a week off a while ago, but I think I may need longer to regroup and refocus.

One other point that I'd like to make is that as with any sport, raw talent and physical ability play a major factor. I'm not a particularly physically coordinated guy, so I NEED to work harder to get there.

At least I know that about myself.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-20-2015 at 09:50 PM.

User Tag List