Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting open carry experience today

Interesting open carry experience today

I headed over from UT to Grand Junction this morning, to meet PF member, Taadski, at the local USPSA match. Ahead of schedule, I stopped into Starbucks for a breakfast sandwich and latte, and to check on the latest on PF, on my iPad.

I got my stuff, and took a seat, back to the wall, across from the main counter, about center of the location. A few minutes later, I saw some green 5.11 pants headed in, looked up and saw a brown, military style sweater, earth tone hat, a Glock 17/22 sized pistol in a non-retention paddle style holster worn just ahead of the hip, no extra magazine, and no visible LE identification. I couldn't remember CO's law on open carry, the Starbucks policy, but was intently interested in what was happening. Guy went to the counter and ordered a coffee, back to me. I could have taken his pistol without much effort. After ordering, he moved down the counter to wait for his coffee, arms folded, and generally looked in condition "white."

This was interesting after my FOF exercises at Gunsite a week ago. I decided if he was going to rob the place, I would let him, since I wouldn't want an employee or customer getting injured over some of Starbucks' money. I also decided if he started trying to harm individuals, I would act without any verbal requests. After continuing to wait, head down and arms folded, he got his coffee and left.

I just can not fathom what would cause someone to open carry in a Starbucks, in a thickly settled place like Grand Junction, with a pistol in a non-retention holster. By contrast, I won't even wear a garment with a gun name on it, off the range or outside my home. If he were a bad guy, he made himself into a target. If he was a good guy, he made himself a target. Not sure anyone else noticed his Glock, but if they did, surely was not a positive impression for gun owners.
    Last edited by GJM; 10-17-2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Add "not"
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I argued with a guy today that open carry with no retention was dumb and he insisted his kydex holster (on a RTI, sticking out from the body) was plenty safe with just kydex holding it. We then cleared it and made it safe and played "snatch the pistol".. I won every time. Crazy easy to get a gun without them ever seeing you. He still wasn't convinced and said I was a gun guy and "knew how holsters work"?

I don't open carry, and if I did it would be a hooded holster.

At least it wasn't an XD in an Uncle Mike's sausage sack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I argued with a guy today that open carry with no retention was dumb and he insisted his kydex holster (on a RTI, sticking out from the body) was plenty safe with just kydex holding it. We then cleared it and made it safe and played "snatch the pistol".. I won every time. Crazy easy to get a gun without them ever seeing you. He still wasn't convinced and said I was a gun guy and "knew how holsters work"?
    They make blue guns.....
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I got my stuff, and took a seat, back to the wall, across from the main counter, about center of the location.
    Good thing you made that clear else you would have lost PF cred. If you go -300 you get kicked off the forum.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Sounds like a pretty typical Indiana OC experience, except there you are just as likely to have the gun being carried in a drop leg holster.

This is probably a no win situation post, but here goes. While open carry is legal in my state and I will support your right to open carry, it's not what I choose for myself. I don't wish to draw the glances from people that look at you as if you are a baby killer or the section of society that would try to just take my gun from me or from other pro gun guys that think that I am doing it wrong.

I don't like loud clothes and prefer the gray man approach. I want to be inconsequential as I walk down the street. Nothing going on here - move on.

In my area, I believe that most open carry proponents are trying to make a political statement. My interpretation of this statement goes something like this: "I have a right to carry legally and the more people that see me carry legally, people should get use to it and accept it" I don't disagree with that thought pattern and maybe if thousands upon thousands opened carried every day people would get use to it.

As I see it, people hear more about evil men with guns than they see responsible open carry participants. I don't think Joe public is going to change on this any time soon. I believe it is a risky behavior for myself and my family so I will personally try to remain gray and low key. If you want to open carry that's your personal choice not everyone has to share my thought process on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post

I don't open carry, and if I did it would be a hooded holster.
    I have a hard time coming up with reasons for NOT having retention on an OWB holster. Around here I'm more worried about grabby brush than grabby people, but I like knowing that if I have to run/jump/bend I don't have to worry (much) about my gun staying in place.

I really cannot see the reason not to use a Safariland GLS for Open Carry. They are cheap, comfortable,work well, fast on the draw, and miles better than DERPA/Blackhawk!

I reviewed one here.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-19-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: no edit, hit wrong button
    #RESIST

Interesting open carry experience today

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    In my area, I believe that most open carry proponents are trying to make a political statement.
    Oc'ers in built up urban and semi-urban areas are always making a statement, and 99% of the time that statement is "I'm an asshole."
    Last edited by TR675; 10-18-2015 at 08:03 AM.

User Tag List