Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts!

I appreciate you all working through this as I don't really know where to start.

I imagine I would shoot this gun 100% suppressed as its quite the head turner with just a brake on there.

I haven't invested in any mounts yet but I would prefer a QD mount vs a direct thread.

Lighter and smaller are better for sure but I am willing to sacrifice in those areas if I get a more robust can.

Any more recommendations?
    I don't know if this kind of information would help you or not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'll give you my spiel about rifle cans....

They are dumb, heavy, expensive, dirty, affect function, and have essentially no place for the vast majority of AR owners.

That out of the way, I like having them. I want a new one. It is NOT a rational decision. Which, then, begs the question - why am I trying to use reason to evaluate which non-rational item I will buy? It comes down to money, frankly.

Given that it's a toy, and a waste of money, and a frivolous purchase, I want to spread all that nonsense over as much use as I can to take the sting off. that means I want a can that will work on a 5.56 AR, a 7.62x39 AK, a .308 bolt gun, a 6.x AR upper, an SBR, an SPR, and any combination thereof or in-between.

This means that I've come up with some criteria that any potential can must meet for me to even consider it...

• .30 Caliber
    • ~7" OAL
    • <16 oz. (<14 oz. even better)
    • ~1.50" OD
    • <$1k retail with one mount
    • Availability of 5.56 hider mounts that work with the can
    • Availability of 5.56 brake mounts that work with the can
    • Availability of 7.62 brake mounts in 5/8x24
    • Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 5/8x24
    • Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 14x1 LH

That's my list. Yours may be different. But I think that when you're talking about the time investment in getting the can and the massive depreciation across the used can market, you should come up with a list.
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-15-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

OMG thank you! I can't wait to get home so I can view this on a screen other than my phone!!!

Dead Air says the Sandman is good to go down to 7". Weighs 17ish ounces. 6.8" long and flash hider mounts are coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers View Post
    Dead Air says the Sandman is good to go down to 7". Weighs 17ish ounces. 6.8" long and flash hider mounts are coming soon.
    Thank you sir!

sort of want 762 dead air can....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

When Hansohn Bros came out to my club a few weeks ago we shot a few cans on 5.56 SBRs.

Although the Sandman S metered a few DBs louder than my 5.56 Griffin M4SDII, it had a lower tone and sounder "better" to the naked ear.

I dont have anything .30 cal to suppress but I would STILL buy the Sandman S over anything else for a 5.56 if I was looking today.

Chris and I both thought the S even sounded better than the L.

Im trying to figure out a way to justify buying one.

If they only had some 556 flash hiders for that Sandman S.
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 10-15-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    If they only had some 556 flash hiders for that Sandman S.
    They are coming.

Sandman-s would be nice on a 7.5 5.56 upper.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I'll give you my spiel about rifle cans....

They are dumb, heavy, expensive, dirty, affect function, and have essentially no place for the vast majority of AR owners.

That out of the way, I like having them. I want a new one. It is NOT a rational decision. Which, then, begs the question - why am I trying to use reason to evaluate which non-rational item I will buy? It comes down to money, frankly.

Given that it's a toy, and a waste of money, and a frivolous purchase, I want to spread all that nonsense over as much use as I can to take the sting off. that means I want a can that will work on a 5.56 AR, a 7.62x39 AK, a .308 bolt gun, a 6.x AR upper, an SBR, an SPR, and any combination thereof or in-between.

This means that I've come up with some criteria that any potential can must meet for me to even consider it...

• .30 Caliber
    • ~7" OAL
    • <16 oz. (<14 oz. even better)
    • ~1.50" OD
    • <$1k retail with one mount
    • Availability of 5.56 hider mounts that work with the can
    • Availability of 5.56 brake mounts that work with the can
    • Availability of 7.62 brake mounts in 5/8x24
    • Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 5/8x24
    • Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 14x1 LH

That's my list. Yours may be different. But I think that when you're talking about the time investment in getting the can and the massive depreciation across the used can market, you should come up with a list.
    They may be dumb.
    They may be heavy.
    They may be dirty.
    They may affect function.

But they will also go a LONG way toward keeping you from suffering unbearable tinnitus and other, more sinister effects of hearing loss, should you actually USE your firearm. Friend of mine shot a guy the other week, and when I asked how he was "My hearing's all jacked up" was his answer. You don't appreciate it until it happens.

Another friend of mine takes down meth labs for a living. He wants a suppressor for entirely other reasons, as well as hearing-loss/nerve damage potential.

Still others look at it from a liability standpoint...what happens if an officer in a school lets of 5-6 rounds near some student's heads? hearing-loss, vertigo, tinnitus, many other nasty things. In some places, the PD would be responsible for those medical bills...
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-16-2015 at 12:20 AM.

User Tag List