Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School is seriously considering allowing employees to carry, need support.

School is seriously considering allowing employees to carry, need support.

I work at a post-secondary school in a non-instructional role. Our President came by and asked who all had their CPL (in WA) and said the local PD strongly urged to allow carry on campus. President said allowing students to carry is completely out of the question, but they (executive staff) are looking at staff members who may be allowed to carry. So far the only thing they know for sure is that any member who was allowed to carry would have to be instructed by the local PD.

I was asked and advised that not only does shooting proficiency need to be addressed, but so does:

Low Light
    Medical
    Area/Access Denial
    Ways for armed staff to distinguish themselves to first responders (reflective vests?)
    Potential dress code changes/exemptions (business casual and/or professional dress is the expectation currently)

If this has been addressed then I do apologize, but I am just looking for any info at all to provide up the chain of command to make this happen. I haven't been on this forum long but I would take a chance to say that some here have assisted organizations like mine implement armed staff. Anything at is welcome and appreciated.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Are they trying to write policy? Because that's not going to work.

It is a "you can carry" or not type of situation.

Are you looking for information to put out for others benefit or are the exec's looking to actually spend money on this stuff?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Are they trying to write policy? Because that's not going to work.

It is a "you can carry" or not type of situation.

Are you looking for information to put out for others benefit or are the exec's looking to actually spend money on this stuff?
    No policy, just a thumbs up from the top of the totem and a thumbs up from the PD.

Yes, if I wasn't clear I am looking for info to put out, my apologies if the OP wasn't clear. No, no money will be spent; at least no such thing was hinted at.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Tree_Octopus View Post
    No policy, just a thumbs up from the top of the totem and a thumbs up from the PD.

Yes, if I wasn't clear I am looking for info to put out, my apologies if the OP wasn't clear. No, no money will be spent; at least no such thing was hinted at.
    Got it.

Well all that stuff you listed is all well and good, but to be blunt, unless the people you work with who have permits are going to spend thousands of dollars on training and equipment, then keep up on all the training, you are sort of barking up the wrong tree with it....

edit; that probably came off negative - just pointing out that unless these people want to learn about this stuff, any work you put into providing it will fall on deaf ears. You may want to just steer them in the direction of a few choice YT vid's and written concepts on the topics before actually doing anything big on the subjects.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 10-13-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Well all that stuff you listed is all well and good, but to be blunt, unless the people you work with who have permits are going to spend thousands of dollars on training and equipment, then keep up on all the training, you are sort of barking up the wrong tree with it....
    THIS.

While it would be fantastic to operate in an environment in which most folks were as in-tune with and turned-on by the necessary training and mindset approach that we (on P-F) seem to hold dear, it's just not realistic to expect this among many, and perhaps particularly among those who orient their careers towards education.

Am I generalizing? Yes, of course. But as we peel the layers of the onion to get down to what it really takes to allow school staff to carry and use firearms on school grounds, and when we take into consideration that perhaps very, very few of them have the proper 'tools,' so to speak, to effectively engage and neutralize an assailant, it's not difficult to begin to grasp how the notion of staff taking action with firearms can be such a troubling proposition for some.

The answer? I really don't know. Perhaps those who have already undertaken and are sustaining a comprehensive training regimen may be permitted to carry (concealed).

If unarmed resisters can stop 20% of active shooters your armed crew can be effective without a huge investment. Reflective vests? Sure why not? Assuming the PD will cover legality issues;
    IMO, mode of carry is where the rubber meets the road. I think they should go for deep concealment, not max range, max SWAT capability.

High risk felon warrants may be rocket science. Close range self defense is not. These losers don't fare well against armed opposition and your staff has an element of surprise.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-13-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think they should go for deep concealment
    Yep, I suggested, if implemented, the vests be kept in the office and only donned during an event, if time allows (which it probably won't).

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I second the recommendation to contact Greg Ellifritz at activeresponsetraining.net

He has been interviewed about active killers on Ballistic Radio. You might check that out.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List