Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Recent" Short Barrel 38 Loads?

"Recent" Short Barrel 38 Loads?

What are the current recommended loads for short-barrel 38s?

I've been running the classic Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in my J-frame, but it's become impossible to find locally, and somewhat rarer online. I'm unsure if it's still being produced.

I checked the sticky, but it seems to be several years old and there look to be a lot more options these days, such as heavier XTPs. Any of these good?

The 135gr load is still being made, but it's not made in that much volume, and it's very popular so it sells out quickly.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Greg Ellifritz mentioned that Gold Dot load and two others in this recent blog http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...ive-ammunition
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Chuck,tell him about the wadcutter!...............CYA RETRO
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

I'm carrying target WCs in my snubs now, at this time Remingtons. They shoot to my sights, group well, cut a full caliber hole, have mild recoil. At the Revolver Round-up I did a demo shot on a block of clear gel. The Gold Dot failed to expand, the WC did as well, but it would have cut a full caliber hole from front to back.
    www.agiletactical.com

What do you mean by "full caliber hole"? Presumably if the Gold Dot did not expand, then it is
    still "full caliber" and would cut a "full caliber hole". I do no think that is what you meant.

If recoil is not an issue, the 158 LSWC HP's are another option. The recoil can be rather stout out of the lightweight J frames.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    What do you mean by "full caliber hole"? Presumably if the Gold Dot did not expand, then it is
    still "full caliber" and would cut a "full caliber hole". I do no think that is what you meant.
    The wadcutter will basically cut a hole that is .357 of an inch in diameter. A hollow point that doesn't expand will cut a smaller diameter hole, because like a FMJ round its shape will tend to push tissue aside rather than cut it. You can get a visual approximation of that with paper targets--the wadcutter will generally cut a bigger hole than a HP round.

Any bullet with an ogive will cut a hole small than the actual bullet, hence why WCs often work better in real life than JHP/LHPs that don't expand.
    www.agiletactical.com

Chuck or DocGKR......any info or opinion on Atomic 148 +P Wadcutter?.......CYA RETRO
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

User Tag List