Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: A $7,500 gun with feeding issues?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    welcome to the good things in life.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    If you have zero experience with high end customs...probably should shut up as you haven't a clue what you are commenting on.
    Now, now. Let's not be so judgmental. "Clueless but still highly opinionated" is what defines the internet after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    But can we (meaning people on PF) do better? I hope so.
    In fairness, folks here overwhelmingly do better, at least in my view. Everyone can (and probably does) say something stupid once in a while. But stupidity is very far from the norm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Only because I delete most of my posts before clicking the Submit Reply button.

I do, however, completely agree with you. The behavior here is much better than a lot of other places on the internet. I very much appreciate that.
    I donated to the forum because I found the users here are more professional and actually go out and shoot more than other forums. Sad to see trolls find this forum.

He claims he wasn't a troll. You bumped back up a thread that was on its way to die and is now back semi alive. Our troll to member ratio is still a billion times better than ANYWHERE online. We still have it good guys. Don't let 1 semi confused possible troll ruin your Cheerios! I <3 this forum.

Here is the story on that pistol, from my perspective.

1. Jason Burton is one of the top 2 actual, practicing, does his own work 1911 gunsmiths out there.
    2. That gun, because it used a Caspian frame, contained (figuratively) a bag full of fleas. Jason did yeomen's work in getting it to run right. This gun had a barrel bed cut in the wrong location. Jason moved mountains to make it work. This exasperated a feeding issue caused by the mag well being way too long for the 9x19 cartridge. Thus pushing the feeding mechanism outside the reliable operation window.
    3. When dealing with guns of this ilk (that is, of the highest standard), it is quite common for it to round trip to the maker for fine tuning. These are art work, and that gun was truly nice. It is not a $7500 gun feeding issues.

What Jason did with that gun was akin to what the old school guys like Boland did - taking something way out of wack and making it run right by talent and a bucket full of hard work.

I have never seen a completed Burton gun that didn't run perfectly. I have seen people with more money than experience scratching their head as to why their 1911 with a match barrel and match chamber didn't feed right with uber cheap reman ammo without a taper crimp. YMMV.

My (brief) return was to set the story straight on this - Jason is an amazing 1911 pistolsmith. That gun is typical Jason. Caspian and I did not live up to the standard the Heirloom did and still does. I would, and am, plunk down hard earned cash for a H-P/JB gun.

How about that - a post on a gun form that didn't contain insults!

Cheers all!

Bill

OK, what brand of parts would you send for a nice job that wouldn't require extreme measures?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    OK, what brand of parts would you send for a nice job that wouldn't require extreme measures?
    No guarantees that any of them won't... There's a reason it's $7,500 (and well worth every penny).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Depends. For example, Wilson makes parts to fit Wilson slides/frames.

Other parts companies make parts to fit generically. Lots of "parts companies" use one particular company run by a top notch gunsmith that no longer builds guns. And most of those parts are designed to fit Colt. Then there is SA, which is built off metric prints.

Colt doesn't equal SA doesn't equal WC doesn't equal Norinco.

If I were spending my $$$ I'd but a Wilson Super Grade or a JB with whatever he wanted.

I was talking about the big parts, like the Caspian frame that you said was hard to work on.

Lots of "parts companies" use one particular company run by a top notch gunsmith that no longer builds guns.
    And I guess that is insider secret knowledge.
    But it seems a lot of gunsmiths find parts to be a steadier business than working on one gun at a time.

Then there is SA, which is built off metric prints.
    There is one gunsmith, who is absolutely batshit crazy about the difficulty of working on "metric Springfields." Seems to me that the file and stone take care of any rounding errors.

User Tag List