Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 133: Finding Your Level

Level 2. G-17. Fail. That **^&%$ 1" square. I did an 18 round mag of the square with 2.5 second par with 16 hits.
    Name:  IMG_0661.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  21.3 KB
    Then the first try for score, a miss. If I got hits I was over time on the 4" circle.

What is the attraction to those tiny targets?

Level 1 again, wanted to try to push my speed a bit though. As a result, missed the 1" both times, threw a few shots on the 2" and 3" targets. 1st attempt for some reason I was able to do much better on the 4" target, which made me push my speed too much 2nd time through and blow up my grouping. I really don't know how I have such clean looking group on that first run, yet can't do that on 2" dots. I think some of it is mental causing flinch or something...

Name:  3 - find level.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  34.3 KB

Been out of the regular live fire practice regiment of late. Between the elk seasons here in Colorado and being busy at work, I just haven't been motivated to get out other than a few local matches this past month.

Spent a few hundred rounds this evening shooting this DOTW though (and some Garcia dots to boot). It was the first time shooting this drill for me. And I got a refresher for the real definition of shooting "cold". :-P It was only 25 degrees. Felt colder. My little Forest Service shooting spot is in the shade early this time of year and we have snow on the ground already.

Anyway, equipment was my duty pistol, a stock 9mm 226 shot from my duty rig (Safariland 6360). I chose the level 3 for the drill and shot it large to small.

First go, I went .10 over (2.60 ) on the 4 shots to the large square, 2.59 on the 2" circle and ganked the 1" square rushing. :-/. On the bright side, I shot it clean my next two goes with sub 2.50 strings.

Channeling Bill, I shot another mag doing draws to the 1" for good measure and only put one a scad low. The mental pressure part of believing there was enough time for the 1" square was interesting. I 'felt' like it was the crux of the drill but I consistently was below 2.2 or so even when I really took my time. I caught myself pushing the speed even after I'd realized I really didn't need to, for the level 3 version anyway. Interesting. Level 4 will reek havoc I suspect. But It was really good to go press the trigger in live fire a bit!

t

Pistol: Walther P99, Trijicon HD sights. (Obviously, first shot on each shape was with gun decocked.)

Level attempted: 1
    Cleaned twice in a row, easy peasy.

Level attempted: 2
    Best result was 9 hits out of 10. I had consistently one or two rounds that were either misses or went over time. For some bizarre reason, these were while trying to shoot the two largest shapes. I really could use another .5s on the PAR with this one...

Notes: This was the first live fire training in two weeks. And it was raining. Everything is more difficult in the rain...

HK P2000 V2
    Trijicon 3 Dot NS
    JRC CDA II

Level 3: 2 runs clean, all under par for 20/20 points.
    Level 4: 2 runs all under par for 24/28 points
    1" - 3 need to use my time better.
    2" clean
    3" clean
    4" - 1
    I actually have video of my level 4 runs, but technology hates me as much as I hate 1" squares at the moment.
    Name:  tmp_20151108_160719-1490468232.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  56.4 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Tried this today at the range. Half the shots are from my friend.

Did better on the 1" square and was able to fire the gun without waiting for forever like before. Last time I tried speeding it up but threw the shots by shooting too fast. I think the grip and trigger work helped a bit.

2" and 3" targets I was able to get some good hits, but had 1 thrown at 2" low and out, and one of the 3" shots was thrown low but stayed in.

4" made my hits, but it was spread wide. Was trying to get hits on a cadence but still yak'ed the shots worse than I'd wanted when shooting in a string. More work to do on the range...

Name:  find your level.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  39.8 KB

User Tag List