Thread: Ruger Vaquero barrel length question

Ruger Vaquero barrel length question

I am looking at getting a Vaquero in 45 colt to pair with a 45 colt rifle. The question is for general purpose large bore SA, would you go with the 4 5/8" barrel or 5.5" and why?

I like the look of both, the 4 5/8" seems to be more "gunfighter" sized, but are you giving up any performance? This will be paired with an El Paso Saddlery cowboy rig.

Thanks.

I actually prefer the snubs, but if not, then the 4 5/8".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Thanks, nyeti. I have been looking at your pictures and have noticed a trend to the snubs in you pictures. With the sights on the Vaqueros, I doubt long range accuracy is really a consideration.

I started in SASS with a 7.5" .44 Colt.
    I thought the 4.75" "civilian" barrel looked Cooler, so I had it changed out.
    I couldn't hit as well with it, so I changed back. Then SASS went to 4 gun stages and I added a 7.5" Cimarron.

I have not shot enough with a 5.5" to know how it would perform, but I would pick it over a 4.625" if nothing longer were available.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 10-09-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macklin View Post
    Thanks, nyeti. I have been looking at your pictures and have noticed a trend to the snubs in you pictures. With the sights on the Vaqueros, I doubt long range accuracy is really a consideration.
    The sights arent great on the Vaqueros, but the guns are still quite capable of hitting an 18" plate @ 300 yards, and likely of fair shooting quite a bit farther. They arent as crisp of a sight picture as the Blackhawk sights, and the Vaquero sights start becoming invisible in dusk lighting sooner than better sights with grooved faces and sharper rears.

I generally prefer the 4 5/8" barrels for general carry and use, but am considering swapping a 7 1/2" barrel onto one, since I have a holster that size I really like.

It depends on the type of 'Gunslinger' you want to be.

There are typical competitions, which are rather worthwhile.

You'll have to get your 'Cowboy Stride' down though.

User Tag List