Thread: Different Sight Pictures - SD and Competition Guns. What to do?

Different Sight Pictures - SD and Competition Guns. What to do?

I've chosen an H&K P2000 for my SD/HD handgun. The sights are 3 dot and POI is under the front dot. I have no interest in modifying the HK front sight, but I'm thinking about increasing the FO front sight height on my steel challenge 1911 to match the HK sight picture (i.e., buy a new FO sight from Dawson). Has anyone considered doing something similar in my situation? When I transition from the 1911 to the H&K in practice I do have a a bit of a mental exercise to make the adjustment and we run a lot of rounds through our 1911s. AT HD distances I'm not going to miss with the H&K, but I would be more accurate if my 1911 sight picture were closer to the H&K; the disadvantage in doing so would, I believe, be a slight decrease in accuracy with the 1911.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 10-08-2015 at 10:21 PM.

I just redid sight arrangements on my 30 and 30L because of this. Not necessarily game vs carry gun uniformity, I just want the same POA/POI on all my guns. P2000 ans 2000sk are PITA that way because I don't know what sights give the top of a front sight POA. I have a set of HDs with shaved front sight, helps a bit but not absolutely perfect.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-09-2015 at 09:05 AM.

I don't like playing the guessing game with different guns in regards to POI. Mine are set up like YVK's. My P2000 and P2KSK both have the basic Trijicon Bright and Tough 3 dots. They shoot to POA from 5 to 25 yds using the top edge. I think it is a good idea to have the same POI / POA if possible.
    Taking a break from social media.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

My P2000 and P2KSK both have the basic Trijicon Bright and Tough 3 dots. They shoot to POA from 5 to 25 yds using the top edge.
    I assume that's using a center hold? This might be the way to go. I don't feel the need for night sights and I'd enjoy the gun even more with a more standard sight picture.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    My P2000 and P2KSK both have the basic Trijicon Bright and Tough 3 dots.
    These are the only sights I've not tried, but their specs show the same front to rear height relationship as on HDs. I certainly wish mine shot at the op of the sight POA.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I prefer all my guns shoot POA/POI top of the front sight at 25 yards. Much easier to accomplish this with the adjustable sights on my 686. I had to play with the front sight height on both my M&P45 and 40 to accomplish this with my loads.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    These are the only sights I've not tried, but their specs show the same front to rear height relationship as on HDs. I certainly wish mine shot at the op of the sight POA.
    I've e-mailed Trijicon asking about the POI at 25 yards with a center hold; haven't had time to measure the relative height as the stock sights, but I don't doubt that you're correct that the relative heights Trijicon and stock are the same. Too bad Dawson doesn't make sights for the P2000.

User Tag List