Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinning the trigger as a technique for difficult shots

Pinning the trigger as a technique for difficult shots

The last few days, I have been shooting a tilted eight inch steel at 50 yards, which effectively makes the target even smaller. After experimenting with various techniques, I have found that across multiple platforms (Glock 19, B92, P239, my best hit rate is to pin the trigger after the shot, let the the gun and sights settle in recoil, flip off the face of the trigger, and roll through in one continuous motion. Initially, this seemed counter intuitive, as it would seem to be less "stabilized" than resetting the trigger in recoil, and then working through just the remaining travel from the wall to break in one motion.

Discussing this with YVK, he mentioned Ernest Langdon advocates a similar technique for difficult shots. Also same advice from some super face shooter guy he trained with.

What are others doing in this regard with very difficult shots?

PS: the little 239 is a shooting machine for a relatively small pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The last few days, I have been shooting a tilted eight inch steel at 50 yards, which effectively makes the target even smaller. After experimenting with various techniques, I have found that across multiple platforms (Glock 19, B92, P239, my best hit rate is to pin the trigger after the shot, let the the gun and sights settle in recoil, flip off the face of the trigger, and roll through in one continuous motion. Initially, this seemed counter intuitive, as it would seem to be less "stabilized" than resetting the trigger in recoil, and then working through just the remaining travel from the wall to break in one motion.

Discussing this with YVK, he mentioned Ernest Langdon advocates a similar technique for difficult shots. Also same advice from some super face shooter guy he trained with.

What are others doing in this regard with very difficult shots?

PS: the little 239 is a shooting machine for a relatively small pistol.
    For slowfire 25 + yards shooting for groups - pinning as you describe.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know if it's "right" but it's also how I do it when shooting for group size when time is not an issue.

hmmm.... interesting

Makes sense to me. I did a fair bit of competitive prone small bore and standing Air Rifle in my teens and pinning the trigger until the sights settled after recoil was the preferred method. I usually pin the trigger when shooting 25 yard groups on B8's. It's rare that I shoot my pistols at longer distances though.

I do it and teach it as an essential element of follow-through, and I teach follow-through just like I teach muzzle orientation using the sights; it's a continuum that varies based on what the particular shot demands.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

It's part of the trigger control continuum and I use it for difficult shots/long range. I don't release and roll through on the follow up shot if time isn't an issue. I tend to release and come back to the reset point then deliberate press for difficult/distance. With Glocks, my press is probably a bit faster than with my SIGs for best results. SIGs rock for distance/precision. Of course, people keep telling me 4th Gen Glocks can hang so I guess I need to pick one one and see.

Completely agree about the P239. It's a small pistol that I shoot almost as well as the P226.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    It's part of the trigger control continuum and I use it for difficult shots/long range. I don't release and roll through on the follow up shot if time isn't an issue. I tend to release and come back to the reset point then deliberate press for difficult/distance. With Glocks, my press is probably a bit faster than with my SIGs for best results. SIGs rock for distance/precision. Of course, people keep telling me 4th Gen Glocks can hang so I guess I need to pick one one and see.

Completely agree about the P239. It's a small pistol that I shoot almost as well as the P226.
    I like the 4th gen guns, but they cannot hang with a Sig. Not in any way.

I just spent last weekend shooting with Ernest. He hates pinning the trigger, and was very against it all weekend. May be very situational for him, IDK. For super accurate shots with no time limit, I usually do pin it, at least for a short time.

Funny about Ernest, as my recollection was YVK telling me that Ernest was advocating it for difficult shots.

I don't pin for follow through on the shot that just happened, but to stop myself from resetting in recoil on the hard shots, as I want to flip and press in one continuous motion.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Never tried it with a pistol but I do that on all rifle shots that require some sort of precise aiming.

User Tag List