Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HR218 and DC

I've carried on LEOSA in DC many times. I've never had an issue, but my weapon has never come out of concealment when I've been there (except for Police Week, when I was in uniform). I always carry my department issued weapon as opposed to a personal one when I'm there. I figure if there's any sort of issue and they take my gun, they can deal with my Sheriff wanting the gun back instead of me.

I went there last spring to run a 17.75k as part of the Marine Marathon series. The Smithsonian museum that I went into had detectors. I badged the security guard. Very polite and very professional.

The only thing I am unsure of is magazine capacity limits in DC as it relates to off-duty LEO carrying under LEOSA. My duty and off duty guns have magazines over 10 rds. Last spring, I carried my M&P Shield when I went into the district (It's my BUG at work).

Does anyone know if you can use a 15 rd Glock 19 mag under LEOSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I went there last spring to run a 17.75k as part of the Marine Marathon series. The Smithsonian museum that I went into had detectors. I badged the security guard. Very polite and very professional.

The only thing I am unsure of is magazine capacity limits in DC as it relates to off-duty LEO carrying under LEOSA. My duty and off duty guns have magazines over 10 rds. Last spring, I carried my M&P Shield when I went into the district (It's my BUG at work).

I know in NJ LEOSA does not cover you against having a magazine of more than 15 rounds, even as an off-duty NJ LEO. As to how the DC laws are written, I'm not sure, but magazine capacity is not covered by LEOSA
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    I've carried in DC while off duty, and did not have a problem. I visited the Air and Space Museum and the American History Museum.

In both cases, before stepping through the metal detector I simply informed security that I was a police officer. The Smithsonian has a written policy according to which LEOs are permitted to carry firearms in the museums.

At the history museum, a supervisor did politely ask that I not intervene if the air grew thick with lead, for fear that his team might mistake me for a bad guy.

As a side note, I highly recommend the International Spy Museum. It's very well put together, and they offer an LE discount.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

LEOSA does not cover magazines, so if you are in a ban state (or DC) you have to abide by the law of the land in that area.

That's what I thought. That is why when I went into the District, I was carrying my 8 rd Shield, and a couple of extra magazines. Not my first choice, but beats nothing...

Whats the mag limit in dc?

Something to consider:

Many of the SPOs (armed security guards) are more professional than DC's Metro PD, in my opinion. I say that even with one of my best friends being former MPD. Some of them actually have much more stringent vetting than MPD, and are responsible for more sensitive duties (enforcing classified material regulations, being involved with security of cabinet level officials, ect).

Thinking about it, I wouldn't count on anyone other than MPD in DC to give you hard time (if anyone were going to), provided you don't try to carry inside a federal facility. There's a lot of good cats in USPP, USCP, USSS-UD, FPS, ect. Chat them up.....even if they're force protection bubbas, they might be interesting to talk with. One of the more senior, well respected forum members is actually in the hiring process with one of the NCR agencies. It'd probably be good to read up on all the different uniformed services in DC just so you have a better idea who you're talking with, too.

Oh, and if you can make it down to Quantico for the National Museum of the Marine Corps, I'd highly suggest it. It's probably one of the best, if not the best museum in the National Capitol Region. For any K9 handlers, they had a small yet powerful interim display that you'd appreciate.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-08-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Whats the mag limit in dc?
    10 rounds, with a total on body limit of 20 rounds.
    Just got back from DC. Drove from AZ and back. No issues at any of the Smithsonian venues in DC. Only one required a sign in. There are a lot of names on the Law Enforcement memorial. Found three that I recognized. One I had worked with at the FBI and two others that I didn't know personally, but had worked for the same agencies I have.

Only time I felt I might need the gun was when some sketchy dudes tried to engage in conversation at a gas station in Oklahoma City on the way back. Turned out to be a false alarm.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Went sight seeing in DC with the family. Spoke with a local LEO and he admonished me for not carrying, said I was crazy and putting my family in danger. I told him we were visiting all the sites and he told me no prob. Next day I carried and at the Supreme Court building I told the entry personnel who I was and I was carrying. They invited me in, very friendly and professional, and had me secure the firearm while walking through (actually the same lockers we use at my PD). So in my experience not a problem and very LEO friendly. I work for a small city in the North East. After this visit I will always give the DC feds professional courtesy when they are in my jurisdiction.

User Tag List