Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HR218 and DC

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Knock off the passive aggressive insults or leave, Pup town. Public warning. Also, feel free to go to an ECQC class and tell SouthNarc and his students how afraid they are. Or are in face insults not your forte?
    Who said it was Southnarc or even an ECQC student? I sure didn't. Could have been a random poster (and a little searching didn't even pull up the thread I'm thinking of here or at TPI). But if you write "Wal-Mart scares the shit out of me and I refuse to go in one" then you probably already know you are a coward. I don't need to say it.

---------------

Anytime the subject of DC comes up, there's always a chorus of "stay away. You'll get murdered and your dog will be raped. If the cops find a spent shell in your car, you'll be put in jail for life. I would never go there. blah blah blah."

It's a big city with more than its share of 'urban' problems. But the tourist areas are safer than this forum would have you to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    Who said it was Southnarc or even an ECQC student? I sure didn't. Could have been a random poster (and a little searching didn't even pull up the thread I'm thinking of here or at TPI). But if you write "Wal-Mart scares the shit out of me and I refuse to go in one" then you probably already know you are a coward. I don't need to say it.

---------------

Anytime the subject of DC comes up, there's always a chorus of "stay away. You'll get murdered and your dog will be raped. If the cops find a spent shell in your car, you'll be put in jail for life. I would never go there. blah blah blah."

It's a big city with more than its share of 'urban' problems. But the tourist areas are safer than this forum would have you to believe.
    Why don't you just explain what you mean by "this forum?" 50% of the membership? 75% of TPI's membership? Stevie Wonder could see the reason why I referred to SouthNarc was your passive aggressive jab at his forum TPI. But hey, PF and TPI are made up of a bunch of cowards, many of whom compete and train and are known quantities as opposed you just dropping by to be snide and catty.

Keep on talking shit anonymously, it beats being positive, training, or competing, right? Casting forum membership wide insults is really that pleasurable for you?

What's sad is that a grown man has nothing better to do with his time than sling insults at thousands of differing people. As I get older, I'm constantly amazed at how immature and bitchy "men" can be.
    #RESIST

HR218 and DC

My DC AAR:
    My cousin works in the city and offered to guide me on a day of adventures in DC. Primarily sightseeing. I haven't been to DC since I was 14 and living in a small southern area I assumed DC is an evil, big city. I admittedly don't like big cities, lots of people and going places I'm unfamiliar with. With those in mind, I was thankful to read that HR218 was fairly well received thing in DC. I decided to carry my G43 as it seemed to prevent any mag capacity issues and is small. ID and badge in a cred wallet.

We drove into the Rockville area, jumped on the Metro Transit and headed into DC. I was amazed that a lightening bolt didn't strike me dead when I jurisdictionally crossed in to DC with a gun!! The metro wasn't bad but I was so amazed how many sheeple are in condition white, nose to screen. I was very alert because this was all new and different to me. The ride in was very uneventful.

Arrival was at the metro stop right at the Law Enforcement Memorial. Very nice memorial, I located a few names I knew and took a second to note how many names there were. Too many. We then decided to walk towards the mall. There is a store associated to the LE memorial but it was closed due to the holiday. Then on to the National Archives. I couldn't remember if they allowed LEOs to carry. As I approached the detector I motioned to an officer, displayed my creds and informed him I was LEO. He asked if I was armed, I responded yes and he moved me aside while calling his LT over. The LT kindly explained that they no longer offered lock boxes and offered to allow me to skip line if I could take my pistol back to the hotel. These folks were super professional, I was very impressed. The LT suggested just letting other guards know upon approaching metal detectors and believed I'd have no issues. I went to the American History museum next. As I approached the screening area I made eye contact with the officer, gave him my creds and he passed me through. No big deal at all, as though it's a usual everyday thing. I was relieved. We enjoyed that museum for hours! Spy Musuem next, no detectors so I just operated as normal. No issues.

DC wasn't bad. A couple homeless solicitors and one guy urinating in public in front if the US Post Office. I can see that the tourist areas and time of day all play into the perception of what you see. I think keeping your whits about you avoids a lot, especially with possible unknown contacts seeing you as aware and ready. I don't think I'd try going back at night and having a savy guide helped too. On the Metro Transit ride back a guy a couple rows up was all over the place, unbalanced, trying to hang on while the train bounced, accelerated and braked. Appeared an opioid user to me, he got off to the relief if several around him.

Overall it was great. DC wasn't the cease pool I'd come to believe it was. Next time I'll have a better idea of how to prepare and handle the various museums. I hope to hit police week in May. Thanks for all the advice, it was very useful.
    Last edited by MD7305; 10-12-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Every cop should attend Police Week. Powerful stuff. I was so moved I wrote a short essay/blog post thing on it when I got back after my first trip, if I can find it I'll post it up later.

I try to encourage all of our young officers to go. A three day, all-day and all-night Irish wake...

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I hope to hit police week in May.
    Let me know if you do. I missed last year because of budgetary reasons. I hope to make it this year.

I may try to make it out this one.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by parabellum242 View Post
    Let me know if you do. I missed last year because of budgetary reasons. I hope to make it this year.
    2015 was my first police week. My trainee, partner and friend was murdered. Hated the reason for being there. But the way we were treated was nothing short of amazing. The candlelight vigil was incredible.

In 2012, one of my brother's name went on the wall.

2015 was my 9th Police Week, though it was my first after having participated in the Police Unity Tour bike ride.

If you have ever considered participating in the Tour, just do it. One of the coolest things I have done in my career. Fine group of people, to say the least.

I have yet to make Police Week. It's definitely on my To-Do list. I'll know too many names personally not to visit.

I was in the DC area this spring when the wife and I went to run the 17.75K near MCB Quantico. We stayed in a hotel near Quantico. But we spent a day in DC playing tourist. We drove to the southern most part of the rail system and took the rail into the District. I was carrying a M&P Shield under LEOSA. No issues with the gun. At the advice of some, I left it locked in the car when I went to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps. (ALL former Marines should make a pilgrimage there eat some point. Amazing and humbling.) Zero issues when we went to the museums with security. ID'ed myself to the security. EXTREMELY polite and respectful to me.

I kind of felt like a over-reacting schmuck by carrying within the National Mall, until we left. Heading back on the train, about the 3-4th stop from the southern end, three local "thugs' hopped on the train. They instantly split up. All three male blacks in their late teen's, early 20's. No issues as thugs come in all types. But they instantly scared a male black working class guy in his late 40's. I acted bored as I watched them. Should have acted intimidated. I was wearing my new Marine Corps hat and a pair of Oakley's. And I was tired. When the alpha male of the three tried to eye f*ck me, I apparently smiled (smirked) just a bit. It confused them.

My wife and I have only been married for three years. She's just now getting some exposure to my work life. I've been an inter-city LEO in high crime neighborhoods for the last 23 years. We (we being her) had a lot to talk about on the drive to the hotel. She picked up on a lot of the non-verbal body language and facial expressions going on with me and with the new additions to the train. After doing this at work for so long, my only real thought was that I no longer felt like a schmuck for carrying my Shield. And I wish I didn't have to deal with the 10 rd magazine limit of DC, otherwise I'd have carried something else.

I'm sure someone somewhere had a bad experience within DC while carrying under LEOSA. As for me, I was surprised and humbled at the way I was treated by those I identified myself to. I only hope that at some point before I retire, I can return the favor.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-13-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    2015 was my first police week. My trainee, partner and friend was murdered. Hated the reason for being there. But the way we were treated was nothing short of amazing. The candlelight vigil was incredible.
    I have been several times for Police Week and the candlelight Vigil was always my favorite part.

The part about DC being a different place after dark is true. While in VA for training, we took the train in and went to visit the Police Memorial. Someone attempted to rob three of us just after dark on our way from the memorial to the Hard Rock. He was armed with a knife and when 9mms came out he quickly decided he was "just kidding." That was pre-LEOSA and, while things would probably have been cool with MPDC, we just told him to GTFO here and we went our separate ways.

User Tag List