Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HR218 and DC

HR218 and DC

I'm heading to the DC area soon for a few days to visit family and a couple of sightseeing days are in the works. I know DC is really strict firearm wise but I was curious how HR218 is received there. I've googled a little about it but I know there are some of our collective around that area and was curious about firsthand experience. The thought of exploring DC unarmed is a bit unsettling to me. Any experiences or advice would be helpful. I'm also headed to MD for a few days so any advice related to MD is appreciated as well.

The scary thing about this issue is that even though you may be in the right, if it became an issue, you could be getting booked for a felony. Even if you were exonerated later, that would still suck. The rabidly anti gun locations make me nervous.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I have visited DC for about 10 of the last 12 years and have always carried. Most of those visits were during Police Week, so there was uniformed carry as well as concealed. In my travels in and out of the various gathering places (like the FOP tent city and such) and from talking with the Capitol Police officers, nobody ever mentioned anything to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I'm heading to the DC area soon for a few days to visit family and a couple of sightseeing days are in the works. I know DC is really strict firearm wise but I was curious how HR218 is received there. I've googled a little about it but I know there are some of our collective around that area and was curious about firsthand experience. The thought of exploring DC unarmed is a bit unsettling to me. Any experiences or advice would be helpful. I'm also headed to MD for a few days so any advice related to MD is appreciated as well.
    Just make sure you do not leave your creds in the car or in a jacket. It has been jacket weather in the mornings and then hot in the Afternoons. If its concealed no issue but if you go to the capital building you mght have to check in your gun if not on official business. I have had it both ways.

1) it shouldn't be unsettling. It's DC, not Kabul. Don't go to Anacostia and there isn't really any reason to be scared.

2) HR218 already has some pretty well established case law. You're fine. Read up if you want. IIRC it doesn't apply to federal buildings, so don't try to bring your gun (s) in them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks for the responses. Most of my travels are in free, southern states so I guess I'm just trying to be cautious. My family lives in MD so I imagine we'll ride the train into DC.

Any suggestions on stuff to see? As of now I want try to go to the LEO memorial, spy museum, crime and punishment museum, and Tomb of the Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Most of my travels are in free, southern states so I guess I'm just trying to be cautious. My family lives in MD so I imagine we'll ride the train into DC.

Any suggestions on stuff to see? As of now I want try to go to the LEO memorial, spy museum, crime and punishment museum, and Tomb of the Unknown.
    https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/
    #RESIST

Air and Space Museum is always fun and even more fun if you are able to run out to Dulles area at the big museum at in those parts. Natural Science museum is also interesting but I do not know what is there. I go to the Air and Space Museum a lot due to working a block from there.

In my travels to and through DC, mostly during Police Week, I've had zero issues with coming and going to various sights, even the secure ones that are using metal detectors like the Smithsonians, Holocaust Memorial Museum, etc.

Most of them have a check-in/sign in procedure for cops on the side from the metal detectors.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In my travels to and through DC, mostly during Police Week, I've had zero issues with coming and going to various sights, even the secure ones that are using metal detectors like the Smithsonians, Holocaust Memorial Museum, etc.

Most of them have a check-in/sign in procedure for cops on the side from the metal detectors.
    Chuck, do know if they offer the same or secure storage for retired cops? I haven't hit the musuems since I retired, but may be in DC later in the year.

Thanks

User Tag List